Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing what I can without my Nitro. There were older threads that had .pdf files with the factory wheel/tire specifications, but they are no longer attached to the thread. This information is available from numerous sources, but not included in a mixed thread listing max tire upgrades. I was PM’d about this information so it seems many new owners want to replace their stock tires and also increase the tire width on their stock wheels without making any other modifications to their Nitro’s. After doing a little research to determine how wide a tire would safely fit on the existing wheels, I thought it best to put this information in a single thread for future reference.

The SXT comes standard with 16” stock steel wheels and are 7” in width with standard factory tires of P225/75R16. "B" and "C" package are available with 16" aluminum wheels that are 6.5" in width. Also available are the 17” wheels that are standard on the SLT. The standard 16” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.3”. The width is approximately 8.86”. Widest width tire for this 16” wheel due to its (6.5" aluminum) or (7” steel) width is a P245/70R16.

The SLT comes standard with 17” stock wheels and are 7” in width with standard factory tires of P235/65R17. Also available are the 20” wheels that are standard on the R/T. The standard 17” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.03”. The width is approximately 9.25”. Widest width tire for this 17” wheel due to its 7” width is a P245/65R17.

The R/T comes standard with 20” diameter stock wheel and are 7 ½” in width with standard factory tires of P245/50R20. The standard 20” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.65”. The width is approximately 9.65”. Widest width tire for this 20” wheel due to its 7 1/2” width is a P255/45R20.

These bumps in tire sizes for the 16” and 17” wheels yield a maximum tread cross section (width) of approximately 9.65”. For the 20” wheels, the tread cross section is approximately 10”.

If any of you guys can verify that larger tires than those listed above will actually fit on the stock wheels without causing issues, please post an update.

We have a multitude of threads about aftermarket wheels, but it would be great if they were combined in one thread for reference. If I actually had a Nitro in my driveway, I would be more than happy to investigate the vehicle in-depth and write one myself. If you guys wait a couple of months, maybe I will do just that.

Please do not post information to this thread about aftermarket wheels. I know that a lot of you have purchased aftermarket wheels so you may think “who cares about stock wheels” but most owners will never upgrade their wheels, so this thread is about looking out for the masses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info, HighVoltageNITRO

What you mean: Widest width tire for this 16” wheel due to its 7" is a P245/70R16 ?

For example The on/offroad Yokohama Geolandar 255/70 SR16 can be mounted on 6.5-8.5" rim (according to tirerack.com tire specs)

On the other hand the overall width of this tire is 1.4" more then 225/75R16

My old ISUZU TROOPER comes standard with 245/70R16 on 7" rim wheels. I changed it to 255/70R16 and then to 265/70R16. Then I found the info that someone in UK tried 265/75R16 and it acceptable too! - it's diameter 2.2" bigger then standard tire!

Now i am waiting two month for a NITRO SE (I live in Europe).
If anybody tried the bigger/wider tires on their stock 16" wheels - please post your opinions about 255/70R16

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andrei, a 255/70R16 will fit on the 7" wide stock 16" wheel, however the tire diameter is just greater than 30". This means that it will throw a very small error in the speedometer reading, and is beyond the means of your Dodge dealer to compensate. Look, this tire size is very close to acceptable. If you were to have the dealer adjust to a 275/60R17, which is their max programmable size, then it would most likely be just fine. The sizes I listed in the first reference note at the beginning of his post require no reprogramming by the dealer, just mount and go! Just remember one thing, the larger tire size you go over programmable stock tire sizes the lower miles per gallon your vehicle will appear to get due to actually registering less than a mile for each mile you drive. If this is OK with you, then knock yourself out.:thk:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Doing what I can without my Nitro. There were older threads that had .pdf files with the factory wheel/tire specifications, but they are no longer attached to the thread. This information is available from numerous sources, but not included in a mixed thread listing max tire upgrades. I was PM’d about this information so it seems many new owners want to replace their stock tires and also increase the tire width on their stock wheels without making any other modifications to their Nitro’s. After doing a little research to determine how wide a tire would safely fit on the existing wheels, I thought it best to put this information in a single thread for future reference.

The SXT comes standard with 16” stock wheels and are 7” in width with standard factory tires of P225/75R16. Also available are the 17” wheels that are standard on the SLT. The standard 16” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.3”. The width is approximately 8.86”. Widest width tire for this 16” wheel due to its 7” width is a P245/70R16.

The SLT comes standard with 17” stock wheels and are 7” in width with standard factory tires of P235/65R17. Also available are the 20” wheels that are standard on the R/T. The standard 17” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.03”. The width is approximately 9.25”. Widest width tire for this 17” wheel due to its 7” width is a P245/65R17.

The R/T comes standard with 20” diameter stock wheel and are 7 ½” in width with standard factory tires of P245/50R20. The standard 20” wheels/tires have a combined diameter of approximately 29.65”. The width is approximately 9.65”. Widest width tire for this 20” wheel due to its 7 1/2” width is a P255/45R20.

These bumps in tire sizes for the 16” and 17” wheels yield a maximum tread cross section (width) of approximately 9.65”. For the 20” wheels, the tread cross section is approximately 10”.

If any of you guys can verify that larger tires than those listed above will actually fit on the stock wheels without causing issues, please post an update.

We have a multitude of threads about aftermarket wheels, but it would be great if they were combined in one thread for reference. If I actually had a Nitro in my driveway, I would be more than happy to investigate the vehicle in-depth and write one myself. If you guys wait a couple of months, maybe I will do just that.

Please do not post information to this thread about aftermarket wheels. I know that a lot of you have purchased aftermarket wheels so you may think “who cares about stock wheels” but most owners will never upgrade their wheels, so this thread is about looking out for the masses.
I'd double check the SXT specs. It's my understanding that the two different types of 16" wheels (alloy & steel) are 6" and 6'5" wide with 225/75/16 tires. The 17" SXT wheels are the only ones 7" wide with 235/65/17 tires. I could be wrong but I was pretty sure the 16" had two widths and the 17" were slightly wider @ 7". I don't know what effect that small difference in rim width would have on upgrade tire size if any.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd double check the SXT specs. It's my understanding that the two different types of 16" wheels (alloy & steel) are 6" and 6'5" wide with 225/75/16 tires. The 17" SXT wheels are the only ones 7" wide with 235/65/17 tires. I could be wrong but I was pretty sure the 16" had two widths and the 17" were slightly wider @ 7". I don't know what effect that small difference in rim width would have on upgrade tire size if any.
All the literature I can get my hands on indicate the aluminum wheels are 6.5" and the steel wheels are 7". Either way, same tire will fit on both. Thanks for the heads-up top gun. Will edit original post and add in 6.5".

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
All the literature I can get my hands on indicate the aluminum wheels are 6.5" and the steel wheels are 7". Either way, same tire will fit on both. Thanks for the heads-up top gun. Will edit original post and add in 6.5".
You're right HighVoltage. I just checked my original window sticker and the alloy stock 16" wheels were 6.5" wide. Maybe the 16" steel wheels being 7" wide is what I saw. I just remembered seeing two different widths in 16" (have no idea where I got 6"... LoL!). I knew the 17" was 7" wide.

A lot of people will appreciate your post on this and I didn't think that .5" would probably matter. I knew the 16's alloys weren't 7" wide wheels though... because I searched out a set of R/T 20's just because I didn't want to put 245 tires on just a 6.5" wide rim. It would probably go... but that's really maxed out for a 6.5" rim.

Very informative post! :beerchug:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice post, somehow I missed it earlier. This seemed like a good place to update and include some info I had buried in another thread. Probably because I don't look at tires every day, I have trouble visualizing what they'll look like from the metric numbers alone. I do much better with a height and a width than a width, a percentage and part of the height in a different unit of measure.

Converting metric tire sizes to inches:

P235/65R17 (OEM tire size on the SLT)
P<section width in mm>/<aspect ratio %>R<rim diameter size in inches>

section width / 25.4 (to get the width in inches, 25.4 mm per in)
* aspect ratio % (to get the amount of rubber between the rim and the edge of the tire)
* 2 (top and bottom of tire)
+ rim diameter size = height in inches

P235/65R17 would then be: (rounded)

235 / 25.4 = 9.25 inches wide
* .65 = 6.01
* 2 = 12.03
+ 17 = 29.03 inches tall

·
Registered
10 Posts
andrei, a 255/70R16 will fit on the 7" wide stock 16" wheel, however the tire diameter is just greater than 30". This means that it will throw a very small error in the speedometer reading, and is beyond the means of your Dodge dealer to compensate. Look, this tire size is very close to acceptable. If you were to have the dealer adjust to a 275/60R17, which is their max programmable size, then it would most likely be just fine. The sizes I listed in the first reference note at the beginning of his post require no reprogramming by the dealer, just mount and go! Just remember one thing, the larger tire size you go over programmable stock tire sizes the lower miles per gallon your vehicle will appear to get due to actually registering less than a mile for each mile you drive. If this is OK with you, then knock yourself out.:thk:
with all this explanation would a 275/45r20 tire fit the 7.5" R/T wheel?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
with all this explanation would a 275/45r20 tire fit the 7.5" R/T wheel?
According to GeneralTire dot com, that tire is designed to fit a 8.5 to 10 in wide wheel. As far as the tire size itself, it appears to be only slightly larger (diameter) than the stock tires. These tires are more than an inch wider than the stock R/T tires.

There are guys on here running 22's that wide that are a bit taller than the stock R/T tires. They do have a bit of rubbing and some have trimmed the wheel wells.

I do not think you would want fit these on the stock 20s. I do think that this size tire could be made to fit on the Nitro, but only on a different set of 20s that were the correct width and with the correct backspacing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks,

now another question,

My BF has a set of 20's, with two 5x5 bolt patterns, in 8.5" with 255/35 tires, which he is not using anymore he prefered 18's with 245/45 in his 2004 Impala SS, if the wheels fit my R/T would the 275/45 20 tire my best option due to the slightly larger diameter?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks,

now another question,

My BF has a set of 20's, with two 5x5 bolt patterns, in 8.5" with 255/35 tires, which he is not using anymore he prefered 18's with 245/45 in his 2004 Impala SS, if the wheels fit my R/T would the 275/45 20 tire my best option due to the slightly larger diameter?
I have no idea! I suspect that if he had them on a Chevy then they most likely will not fit a Nitro. Now if you had said he had them on a Ford, then maybe! If you or he can lay hands on them, the fastest way to know would be to try to mount one. The rear of the Nitro is easier to jack, but you would get more info. from trying one on the front. Because if one actually does fit the bolt pattern, then you would be able to see if the offset is close enough to work. If I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If for whatever reason you are stuck wanting to use the 275/45R20, then you are going to have some work ahead of you finding a wheel that will work. May I ask what is your ultimate goal? Are you wanting wider tires? A different tread? Spill it Rose!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the looks of a wider tire with and prefer a nicer and better tread.

My first goal was the cheap way, adding only wider tires on the rear for a sportier look, front tires are Eagle RS-A, if I'd use RS-A on the rear it should be 295/40 that I know it's to wide for the R/T 7.5" wheels, that's why I thought of a 275/45 and keeping it Goodyear I was considering GT II's on the rear

At last I thought if 275/45 fits, my R/T would have a thougher look with the set of four 275's.

My BF is home and told me that I could keep the Impala's 20 wheels & tires and if they don't fit that I could sell/trade them and suggested me that if I'm buying the set of four I could go with 22's using 265/35 as Tire Rack recommends but I prefer a tire with a higher sidewall so for now I'll keep it in 20's

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Nitro Lug Pattern is 5 X 4.5 Or 5 X 114.5 the chevy 5x5 probably will not fit.

Nitro lug pattern is 5 x 4.5 or 5 x 114.3 and the wheels had both bolt patternse x 115 and 5 x 114.3, already try them but the tires are to small for the Nitro (255/35's) it has a LOWRIDER look, till Monday I'll mount the new tires, having a beach weekend at SPI.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.