Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a subwoofer, but do not want to lose any cargo space. I would want an enclosure similiar to the factory installed sub. Is this something that I can purchase through the dealer, or should I get it custom built? I obviously can't put 12's or anything to big...so what size sub would sound best in such a small place.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am sure it's just a matter of time until Q-Forms or Crutchfield comes out with somehing soon. As for losing cargo space, that may not be an option. I am not sure if you can rig something in the space where the stock subwoofer goes if it didn't come with one. I haven't taken that whole interior panel off yet, only peeled it back for some tail-light wiring.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If you are interested in the factory subwoofer setup here are the required parts:

1. 5091012AE Amplifier (Optional -supply your own)
3. 5064124AC 8 Inch Subwoofer Speaker (Factory Infinity)
4. 5091022AC Speaker Enclosure

5KH95XDVAD Right Rear Trim Panel with Subwoofer (Charcoal Color?)

·
Registered
790 Posts
This would be a good mod for me to do too. Any idea if the sub will work with the single CD/Sirius stereo?
I'd be interested in hearing how anyone pulls it off. Maybe I'll check on the prices from the stealership this week.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
This would be a good mod for me to do too. Any idea if the sub will work with the single CD/Sirius stereo?
I'd be interested in hearing how anyone pulls it off. Maybe I'll check on the prices from the stealership this week.
Absolutely it would work Air. Basically install a LINE LEVEL amplifier off one of the speaker outs at the headunit. The only additional item you would need is a low pass crossover for that amplifier. This is assuming the amplifier would only be driving the subwoofer. Even better if the amplifier has a built-in corssover. You would need the crossover to only allow the subwoofer to play frequencies below 120Hz. 120Hz or less.

EDIT: I should say a lot of amplifiers do have built-in hi and low pass crossovers switches so an external crossover would not be necessary.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unbelievable Larry! You always have the information I need before I even think I need it. LMAO! Is there any place online to purchase fatory parts or must you go through a dealer?

Thanks again everyone fo you valuable info.

-Lil'

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone have a clue as to what the cubic ft. inside the factory enclosure is? I don't have the factory sub and I was thinking of adding the sub based trib panel and the enclosure and putting in a single JL 8" with its amp mounted behind... just curious as to the size of the actual enclosure.

-Lil'

·
Registered
790 Posts
No kidding. So do I dare ask for a part number? How about it, Larry? Do you have specific recomendation as to what line level amp & low pass crossover to use? Maybe from Crutchfield (or your favorite online stereo dealer)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Does anyone have a clue as to what the cubic ft. inside the factory enclosure is? I don't have the factory sub and I was thinking of adding the sub based trib panel and the enclosure and putting in a single JL 8" with its amp mounted behind... just curious as to the size of the actual enclosure.

-Lil'

What is the enclosure requirements for the JL 8"? BCH posted pics and the enclosure looks sealed, not ported. I'm gonna assume its gonna be less then 1.5 cubic foot.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
No kidding. So do I dare ask for a part number? How about it, Larry? Do you have specific recomendation as to what line level amp & low pass crossover to use? Maybe from Crutchfield (or your favorite online stereo dealer)?
Thanks!
Air....its been quite some time since I've actually installed some car stereo components. LOL, since my 20s. I way always an Alpine supporter. I think you can't go wrong with most of the big name manufacturers these days when it comes to audio components. Crutchfield is definitely the place to start.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I called the Dodge dealer & asked about prices on the sub enclosure & trim panel. $217 & $156 respectively. Ouch.

I also emailed JL Audio & asked if there were any plans to build a Stealthbox for the Nitro. They said they would if there was interest, but there were no plans at this point. Looks like they go for $300 or $400 on Ebay all day long. So if there is interest in doing this, we should all email in our requests.
My guess is it will be less expensive & better quality to go with a JL product. My concern is it might stand out to some punk who would want to steal it for himself. But with the tinted windows these things have in them, maybe thats not an issue.

EDIT: I didn't ask for prices on the sub or amp since better versions of those items can be purchased aftermarket. Plus I have a brand new Pyle PLG8 sitting in the garage. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Air,
Do you know if the sub enclosure comes with the sub or if that is a separate part number?

One of the reasons I didn't want to go wih a JL stealth box is although it fits well within an interior it still stands out (as u mentioned) versus adding the factory sub enclosure and panel. It maybe a little pricey but you would have the satisfaction of knowing it looks completely stock and be hidden from thieves why still getting that aftermarket sound.

Just my 2 cents.

-Lil'

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For the exact factory look and stealth I thought those prices were reasonable. Mind you if you wait awhile I'm sure they'll pop up on Ebay. The factory panel and enclosure will probably be the route I go.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I was kind of hoping to do a sub sometime in the next month or two. And I wouldn't expect any factory stuff to be available there for a while.

I've been swapping emails with Don at JL Audio today. He asked for it.... so if your interested in a Stealthbox by JL Audio made specifically for the Dodge Nitro, email him directly at: dvertrees(at)jlaudio(dot)com

I'd suggest a group buy but it may be a bit premature... ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
No, the $373 is just for the plastic. As I said above, it's specifically for just the sub enclosure & trim panel. So you still need the sub, amp & crossover. Doesn't sound to me like it's going to add up to $300 or so.

NitroTech tells me that there are a number of pieces available. But my dealer tells me there is a problem getting any khaki colored plastic at all. So I'll have to get back with him on that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.