Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Sudden Overheating

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ShandaNicole 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying I do not know much about cars at all but am a very resourceful gal when it comes to fixing anything myself. I've had my 2009 dodge nitro about 3 months with no issues and loving everything about it. Out of the blue today the ac stopped blowing cold and the temp read hot with the temp light on. I was driving it to a safe place to let it sit and all of a sudden the temp gauge shot down to cold and the lightening light in middle came on. Under the hood the coolant reservoir was empty. I filled the radiator and reservoir after letting it cool for awhile but even full of coolant with no leaks it still goes to reading hot after idling or driving for a few minutes. Should I replace the thermostat?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum @ShandaNicole. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

What engine do you have? How many miles on your rig?
We need to figure out where your coolant went;
Do you see leaking under the front of the Nitro when running?
Do you see white or blue smoke coming from the tail pipe when it is running?
Do you see a LOT of bubbles in the radiator or reservoir when it is running?
Check the engine oil, does it look like oil, or like a root beer float?

Reactions: Nitrogen
#3 ·
Thanks for responding. I will check what kind of engine it is tomorrow. It didn't come with a manual and all I know is its 6 cylinder and front wheel drive. It only has around 90000 miles on it which I thought was odd but the car fax was clear with 2 previous owners. The oil looks good and I just had a full service oil change done about 3 weeks ago with nothing out of the ordinary commented on. I've seen no leaks or smoke yet and I really haven't looked at the reservoir until today and it was empty. Should I look at it when it's full and should it be running or unranked when I check?

#4 ·
If the water pump is leaking you may be able to see signs of it from under the front when not running. Typically when it heats up and builds pressure as the engine warms up, if there is a pump leak it will get worse.
Only use HOAT antifreeze in the Nitro! I use Zerex G05. It meets Mopar HOAT standards (MS-9769).

It is possible that you just got low, but that it not typical. It is also possible there is just air trapped in the system.
Normal driving will burp the air out, idling will not.
Cold engine, fill the reservoir and radiator, drive till at operating temp. Park and let cool completely, fill the reservoir. Repeat 3 times should do the trick.

Reactions: Nitrogen
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.