Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a newbie with the same surging, chugging problem that a lot of you have listed. My question is, why are all of you so calm about this issue. It seem to me that they knew of this problem before they started selling this vehicle and yet they still sold it. I am seriously considering persuing the lemon law.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Issues like this are pretty standard for a 1st production year. When you concider everything that is 'new' on the Nitro, the surging issue isn't that big a deal at all. If you take the vehicle to the dealer they'll be more than happy to get the problem fixed.
If you're not wanting to deal with 'teething' problems its usually a good idea to wait til a vehicle has been out for a couple of years.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surge

I have taken it to the dealer 3 times, they just keep telling me that there is no fix and I should just be patient while I am sending in my monthly payment. I guess I just don't understand why this problem is acceptable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
No fix???? They already have TSB's for this issue. Maybe you should print it off and take it up to the dealer with you.
My dealer actually called ME and asked if we were having any problems with the tranny. Guess its your particular dealer thats the issue.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Barb, thats what I was trying to say. Print out the TSB & take it with you to the dealer. All though it is hard to believe they don't know about it it's been out for a long time now let us know whats up.:wave:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have taken it to two dealers in my area. But, I will print out the TSB and take it with me this Friday when I take it in again. Thank you. Barb
Welcome Barb... Lemme tell ya, I know how you feel! I had a Dodge Caliber when it first hit the pavement, had one minor issue. The exhaust was rattling and hissing after 2 weeks of ownership. Tok it to the dealer 5 times, then filed my lemon law. What a looooooooong process that is! Took so long, I gave up and traded my beloved Caliber in for the Nitro! Now, I said I would never buy another 1st year vehicle again, but as you and everyone can clearly see, I have a NITRO! What can I say about it? It's a beast, has bold demonic and sexy looks. Has decent power just a minor kink with surging/droning, and a few other minor things. But overall, it's a keeper for me. I've learned to be patient is what I'm trying to say. Going up against DCX will take forever. I say, take it to a 3rd dealer and get it straight, that's what I ended up doing with the Caliber and it was fixed after the last attempt. The other dealers, it turned out, didn't know what the hell they were doing. Took it to Manhattan Jeep Chrysler, problem solved!!! Enjoy your Nitro! American brand baby!:Racing:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I do love my Nitro, but want it to run as good as it looks. I have been a faithful Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep customer for the pst 9 years. This is my 5th lease and I don't want this problem to make me want to leave the "family". I'll let you know what mechanic at my dealership says about the TSB. Thanks again,Barb

·
Registered
166 Posts
when did you purchase your nitro? these surging tranny issue and stuff like that I don't see on mine. I got mine on 1/25/07 is this why I don't have these problems. or if I do I don't know how it feels or anything. only thing I have is the speaker buzz

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm curious about what is really meant by surging and chugging. For me, if I was given a vehicle for these problems this is what I would be looking for:

Surging
-an instability in engine power
-a rise and fall in engine rpm (visible on the tachometer)
-a forward and backward motion felt in the vehicle but ultimately caused by the engine.

Chugging
-a laboring in the engine

Is your Nitro really experiencing these conditions?

From my own experience with my Nitro I could say I've experienced a forward and backward motion felt in the vehicle but ultimately caused by the road!!

The Nitro is susceptible to a rocking motion due to its shorter wheelbase. More extreme examples of this can be felt in other vehicle such as the Liberty. It's wheelbase is 4" shorter then a Nitro's. Worse yet are any of the the Jeep TJ's, YJ's, CJ's. But none of these vehicles are surging.

So is the problem the vehicle or is it the driver in the seat? I'm trying to get a clear explanation to understand this problem.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I will try to explain this of course in a simple way that I understand and maybe others will agree. When this first started being discussed I related the talked about problems to how my Nitro acted going thur the gears. My only feeling was that when I hit about 42 mph and was not giving it much gas there was sort of a sluggish spot in the forward motion. If I was giving it gas to get up to 55 or 60 on the open road then it shifted quite nicely. I had the TSB done and for a short period of time I noticed what I preceived to be the Clunk noise from 1st to 2nd. That could have just been me working the pedal. I stated earlier that when I had a 2004 Trailblazer it had a recall to replace the rear springs to eliminate a noise transfer at 58 mph when the torque converter locked up 1 to 1. That fixed that problem. I tend to believe that the sluggish spot and resulting droning noise is just that inbetween point that is something that is an anoyance rather than a true mechanical ( or a bad mechanical) problem. Anyway just my thoughts. David

·
Registered
128 Posts
surging

I have had my Nitro in for surging ,they have reflashed the computer but it still surges.this was done last feb.Is there any new updates now.I have been back to my dealer and they seem not to no anything about this problem.Maybe they are hoping i will just get use to it.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From what I have read so far, despite the TSB currently out, the tranny shudder has not gone away after flashing the tranny or replacing the torque converter. I personally foresee a major recall in the next couple of months for the shudder as well as the stalling problem which is very dangerous.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have not had the surging issue, but I did have the shudder (see some of my older posts).

I took my nitro in and brought the TSB with me....they were very helpful and did both the torque converter replacement then re-flashed all at the same time.

It was tough to get it back same day as it was the first they've done there, but all seems well now, no longer a shudder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.