Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 RT and I'm getting ready to install new sway bar bushings.

Question 1: Should I lubricate the bushings during install or use no lubrication?

Question 2: Are the bushings lubricated when installed during factory production?

Question 3: Is it necessary to disconnect one or both of the sway bar end links to be able to get to the bushings?

I've discovered many different schools of thought on the subject.
I'm thinking I should do whatever the factory does when the car is built.
Opinions Welcome.

My experience with bushings: I was hearing a noise in the front of the car that eventually turned out to be the brakes (different story for another day). Someone recommend that I lube the bushings with Blaster brand Silicone Lube which I did. I wish I had not done that because now, every time I go over a bump, I hear an awful squeak/creak sound. I know it's the bushings because I can pinpoint the noise when I'm under the car while I have a helper bounce the car up and down at the front bumper.

I read a comment on another website that said...
"No grease. The rubber bushing deforms to allow the sway bar to rotate, stretching like a rubber band and snapping back. This is the best way because it tries to return to the same position always. Grease it, allow it to slip, and the static position is constantly changing based on the direction of approach."

Then I saw a video promoting lubrication:

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
692 Posts
If u want to lube them just buy poly bushings. Meant to be lubed. Not sure how they come from the factory but u can’t use regular grease. Yes u could use a silicone spray but I’ve done that before. It doesn’t last long at all. You’d be spraying them daily lol

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
692 Posts
Your video uses poly bushings

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't necessary want to lube. I want to do what the factory guys do. The bushings I bought at Mopar OEM.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not sure how factory’s gets done but I’m pretty sure they r not designed to be greased after the fact

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If u want to lube them just buy poly bushings. Meant to be lubed. Not sure how they come from the factory but u can’t use regular grease. Yes u could use a silicone spray but I’ve done that before. It doesn’t last long at all. You’d be spraying them daily lol
Is it necessary to disconnect one or both of the sway bar end links to be able to get to the bushings?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Job Done! No More squeaky creaky noise!
I bought a manual, Haynes 2002 thru 2012 Jeep/Nitro.
It specifically said "do not grease bushing", so I didn't.
It was not necessary to remove tires or unbolt end links.
I simply set the parking brake, raised the front end and put it on stands.
I worked on one side at a time by removing the bracket and old bushing, cleaned grease/dirt off of the bracket and sway bar.
Next, I installed the new bushing and bracket and torqued to spec 110 ft lbs.
Tools used: 1/2" drive 18mm deep well socket, 1/2" drive strong arm (for bracket nut removal), flat blade screw driver to pry off bracket and 1/2" drive husky torque wrench.
Parts Replaced: 2 MOPAR Stablizer Bar Bushings OEM Part# 68044687AA. $24.66 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
well done with the repair and the info,

do you realy have a parking brake that works :),

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
😁 👍 :cool:

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 10 of 10 Posts