Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to change my wheels and two lug nuts won’t budge!

This is the feed of what it’s taking to remove them to finish my project.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First thing that I tried was leverage with 48” cheater and that stripped the Lug nuts more.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Nitro SLT (black)
33 Posts
hmmm I use a 3/4" socket with a breaker bar...I've never had a problem....I know many sy not to on lugs but I always put a lil anti seize ....just a tiny bit and I've never had a prob....I just replaced all my lugs with fresh new ones

·
Registered
10 Posts
So is the lug stripped with the nut able to spin over stripped thread but not coming off?

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the lug stripped with the nut able to spin over stripped thread but not coming off?
Let me clarify the nut cover came off. The darn cover slipped and started the issue then it wouldn’t budge. The nut is stripped now to the point that it’s a circle. After using an extraction nut with a hammer it still wouldn’t budge. I am going to now drill them out and replace the Studs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me clarify the nut cover came off. The darn cover slipped and started the issue then it wouldn’t budge. The nut is stripped now to the point that it’s a circle. After using an extraction nut with a hammer it still wouldn’t budge. I am going to now drill them out and replace the Studs.
Oof, yeah other than going a thermal method, which is a good way to damage rims, hope the drill out goes well!

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well over 8 bits later I have one lug nut off. And about halfway through the other one. I have not been working at it constantly.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well another 10 Drill Bits and some wiggling I was able to get both lug nuts off the Nitro. I hammered out the old studs and pressed in the new studs with the help of an air impact gun, handful of washers, new lug nut and some grease. Really wasn't that hard. Found out I need new break pads as well. So that will be on my wishlist for Christmas. Took her for a ride around the block and it was worth it. The Hancook's ride smoother and sound way better than my old stock wheels and tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts