Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone....I have tried to search this subject, perhaps I am not using the right wording, but here's the problem:
When I start my truck (key in ignition) it keeps cranking...then I have to switch it off to make it stop. It'll start just fine after that.

AND my ESP/BAS anti skid lights just came on again. I'll see if it does it on the way home. I haven't rolled over any serious bumps or anything. It came on while my cruise was engaged. Not too concerned about that, its the cranking issue that I need advice on, that way when I take it to the shop, they don't juke me around.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
does your engine actualy start, and then the starter keeps cranking ?,

·
Registered
373 Posts
If it's cranking until it starts, then it's a somewhat common issue that no one has been able to solve. I have the issue occassionally and have read a ton of options to try and fix it. In the specific case I'm speaking of it usually comes after the engine is warm, you stop for a bit and then restart.

Some of the potential fixes I have read about include:
- new PCV valve.
- new crank position sensor.
- new cam position sensor.
- new spark plugs.
- replacement of leaky fuel injector.
- MAF cleaning/replacement.
- replace fuel filter.

I'm sure there are others. No one that we know of has fixed the issue and reported back as to what did it for them.

Now if your issue is that your vehicle keeps cranking after starting, that's another ball of wax that I haven't read about yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2010 Nitro SXT. I have noticed that after my 30 minute commute, when the engine gets hot, I come back to my car 1 hour to 2 hours later after the engine has cooled... that it will crank endlessly until i take they key out and try it again. Car starts fine in the mornings and after a good 3 to 4 hours resting/ cooling down. I went to a mechanic to get some advice. (I am hoping to try and fix the issue on my own without paying an arm and a leg) Mechanic says it could have something to do with my fuel pump not activating correctly. He said to try turning the key to the ON position before starting and letting it sit there for about 30 seconds and then start it. This supposedly helps get fuel flowing? I have noticed that this has helped on occasion but not all the time. If anyone has anymore advice let me know please!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adriana.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

No solutions found as of yet, with 5 different threads about it now...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone heard anything about this? I was at the dealer today for an oil change. When they went to pull mine forward it did this (of course the 80 year old guy moving it just let it crank and hit the accelerator to rev it up). At any rate I mentioned it to the service guy and he said he saw it one other time and they replaced the ignition switch. Just wondered if anyone heard anything new.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
If the key gets stuck in the starting position I could see this causing the starter to continue to crank after the engine starts (new ignition switch should fix this). However, the Nitro has a TIP Start Feature. If the TIP start is not disengaging the starter after the engine starts then it is a computer problem.
If it is the problem of not starting when warm(Cranks but the engine will not start) that is all together another problem.

Reactions: Metaldog

·
Registered
17 Posts
It only has happened a couple of times but I hit the key and it just keeps cranking, not really starting. I tuen the key off and pull it out for a couple of seconds and try again and it starts. Its weird.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
That is strange... When it happens, is it after a short drive, or first thing when everything is cold?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My nitro does something like this I turn the key and the starter staying engaged. I have to turn the key back to get the starter to stop. I have replaced the ignition/starter switch an that didn't fix the problem. I replaced to throttle body and that did nothing. I have a mechanic coming over to my house tonight with some testing equipment and we will see what we come up with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had this problem intermittently for the past couple of years. One time it happened at the mechanic. He took out a relay and nothing happened at all. Then he put it back and the problem didn't happen again for a long time. It was relay K3, the middle one of three beside each other. Scar provides a good graphic in case you want to give this a try in a pinch. http://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/fuses-relays.37544/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts