It was 500 for a motor, or 1200 for new mower. With the assistance of my Mom, we opted for #2. KingJack, you are correct. I did not even mow before I began the Mods. I was hoping Craftsman had not changed too much, but in 10 years they changed quite a bit. First Mod was to put the mud tires on it. Of course Craftsman changed the axle/wheel design. I had to use a set screw shaft collar on the back side of the wheel to keep the mud tires in place. Then I mowed. Next I had to till the garden for the winter. Of course Craftsman changed how the mower deck attached, as well as making the body shorter. So I had to make a few mods to the tiller frame, and also had to add new hangers on the rear sides of the mower. But all in all it wasn't too bad. In this Pic you can see the new front brackets (lighter shade of green) I had to slant them forward to miss the pedals. I did not get a Pic of the hangers on the rear. Nothing fancy just two 6" pieces of "L" iron with a couple holes to mount to the mower (used existing bolts/holes on the mower) and 2 bolts rearward on the "L" iron to hang the tiller frame on. If you are interested I can get more Pics of the hangers. The tiller still runs off the mower deck pulley like before.