Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: Was about 99% sure about getting a Nitro, until I read the forums with people posting problems. I know any vehicle can have issues, but since this vehicle is so new, I already had reservations before I read the forum. Anyone have any advice on whether this is a good buy. Or, what other smaller suvs are good. We were also looking at a Saturn Vue & a Chevy Equinox. Thanks for reading my post everyone.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was actually comparing the Nitro, and the Vue side by side myself before I bought the Nitro. I still really like the Vue, but for me, personally, the Nitro had more options that I wanted (universal garage door opener, side curtain airbags standard, etc.).

I can also say, my Nitro has been trouble-free so far. I am still very pleased I decided to buy the Nitro over the Vue. It really comes down to personal preference though. Look at the comparisons side by side and see which vehicle contains more of what you want.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Welcome to the site, The problems you have been reading about were like 98% within the first two months of production & are gone from the Dec. built on trucks. Then again it is your choice, cant go wrong getting the NITRO in my opinion. Good luck whatever you do.:wavey:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
For me it was all about the look. I wanted to stand out from the crowd. I've had a truck, Ford F150, and I traded it in for a Saturn SL2 because I wanted the gas money. Well it paid off because I got married and my wife now has a cute commuter car. But if you want to be noticed the Nitro is the only way to go. I dropped my jaw when I saw this baby on the street. I was looking to get a Jetta at the time I saw the Nitro. But don't settle on anything you might regret later...it's all up to you! Good Luck!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
This is maybe a dumb question, but How do I know if one of the Nitro's on the lot are the newer ones, or one of the Dec. and earlier builds.
Check with the dealer, because there should be a built date on each car. You can always order from the factory and get everything you want, but that does require a lot of patience, believe me, LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point, I feel I've narrowed down my choices to the Dodge Nitro and the Nissan Xterra, just test-drove the Nissan Xterra today. Does anyone have any input as to what would be the better buy? Any opinions on the Xterra? I did notice the Xterra gas mileage was 1 to 2 mpg worse than the Nitro. The Xterra felt larger inside, my legs felt more free. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, I really liked them both. Any suggestions appreciated, I plan on deciding by tommorrow or this weekend at the latest. Thanks for the information on the manufacture date!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
At this point, I feel I've narrowed down my choices to the Dodge Nitro and the Nissan Xterra, just test-drove the Nissan Xterra today. Does anyone have any input as to what would be the better buy? Any opinions on the Xterra? I did notice the Xterra gas mileage was 1 to 2 mpg worse than the Nitro. The Xterra felt larger inside, my legs felt more free. I am having a hard time deciding between the two, I really liked them both. Any suggestions appreciated, I plan on deciding by tommorrow or this weekend at the latest. Thanks for the information on the manufacture date!
Well I think you know how a lot of us here feel you SHOULD get, but again you have an opportunity to get a vehicle that so few have yet to see. It's one thing to see a commerical on the Nitro, it's another to see it on the road. Your jaw drops, and you realize you almost hit the car in front of you for staring. Here's the one thing I promise...you WILL have people staring at your car, and asking questions about it too. The Xterra is nice, believe me, and if you don't want to be noticed as much then take the Xterra. But thats me... Look forward to hearing about your choice and why you chose it! Anyone else want to advise?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Spo4me is EXACTLY right!! I wanted an Xterra when they first came out, I think they are great, but everywhere I go I see 20 of them on the road. At my job there are 5 in the parking lot, but only one Nitro, yes my Beast, and as I stated in another thread, I can't go anywhere without being noticed. not only does everyone love my Electric Blue, but they just love the way the Nitro freaking looks. THIS IS THE BEST RIDE I HAVE EVER HAD!! I wouldn't change my mind for anything. Again its your call, but you can't go wrong with the Nitro.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My only real reservation was that it was a brand new vehicle to hit the market. I am not a mechanic, but I suppose among most people the thinking is typically to wait until a new type of vehicle has been out for awhile before purchasing. Make sure all the problems have been addressed. What do you guys think of that?

I am really leaning towards the Dodge Nitro instead of the Nissan Xterra. The Xterra felt too big for me, it felt like I was driving a tank.

What do most people think about the color. I did not see any Electric Blue Nitro's. I did test drive the Inferno Red, and really liked that color. If I am going to purchase an eye-catching vehicle such as this, I also wanted an eye-catching color. I wish I could have seen the Electric Blue. Quick survey for anyone who reads this and wants to respond... What color did you pick??? It might not be an important issue to some, but I've learned with past vehicles that the color is important. Thanks, have a good evening!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I know there are plenty of user pics in the picture galleries of the electric blue. Me...I went for the red because my college school colors are crimson and grey, a perfect fit for me. Most of the problems with the Nitro have been early on. And the only problem I've read about the RT is the shifting seems a little hard. Again all the colors of the Nitro are meant to be BOLD so any color happens to be based on your taste and will surely stand out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 questions...

What model of the Nitro has power seats? My wife is short and has a hard time reaching the pedals, & it doesn't seem to adjust downward anymore. Would power (electric) seats help? Would that be something I would have to order customized?

Next question. When I test drove it, I didn't see an option for automatic headlights. That is the one feature on the cars that we love. We don't ever even think about turning on our headlights, when it gets dark enough it is just automagic! Is there an option for the Nitro for this? What model would I pick for that option? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Automagic lights, sorry, not on any trim level on the Nitro. Maybe it will be something we see on future model years, but no the '07's...

Power seat for the driver's side is standard on the SLT and R/T. Not sure if it's an option on the SXT (I'm sure an SXT owner will speak up). I have really taken a liking to the YesEssentials fabric on SLT. It's very comfy....

And as far as color, no question, Sunburst Orange is THE BEST!!!!!!!

2 questions...

What model of the Nitro has power seats? My wife is short and has a hard time reaching the pedals, & it doesn't seem to adjust downward anymore. Would power (electric) seats help? Would that be something I would have to order customized?

Next question. When I test drove it, I didn't see an option for automatic headlights. That is the one feature on the cars that we love. We don't ever even think about turning on our headlights, when it gets dark enough it is just automagic! Is there an option for the Nitro for this? What model would I pick for that option? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
163 Posts
:wavey: Was about 99% sure about getting a Nitro, until I read the forums with people posting problems. I know any vehicle can have issues, but since this vehicle is so new, I already had reservations before I read the forum. Anyone have any advice on whether this is a good buy. Or, what other smaller suvs are good. We were also looking at a Saturn Vue & a Chevy Equinox. Thanks for reading my post everyone.
I was comparing the Vue along with the Nitro also, I have to say in all honesty, The Nitro has the Vue beat hands down as far as the "Biggest Bang For the Buck " goes, I think I like the interior of the Vue better but I will deffinately take the Nitro...Good luck and keep us informed. Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. Kinda sucks about the headlights. I can't tell from the Dodge website what the differences are between the SXT and SLT, maybe it is there but I don't see it. One thing is the Front drivers seat is electric? What else makes it cost $3500 more than the SXT? Thanks -Craig.
:Racing:

·
Registered
790 Posts
My SLT driver's seat is electric to move it forward/back & up/down. And it's manual to recline it.
Not sure what the deal is with the SXT seats.

The SLT fenders & bumpers are painted. As I recall the upholstry is upgraded too. I have the stain resistant cloth & leather is also an option.

The difference in the price was a lot closer at my dealer too. More like $2k to upgrade to the SLT.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Hey guys. Got my nitro SXT today. I feel like an idiot, but the one option I forgot was the cruise control, and it doesn't have it!!! Is there any way to add this, or am I SOL!
Congrats on the getting your Nitro! Make sure get some pics as soon as possible. Sorry about the cruise control, I don't have that answer, but I'm sure someone here does!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.