Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellow nitro fam. So I have a 2008 Nitro RT. I have a ticking noise coming from the bottom end, almost from the oil pan, or transmission pan. Don't really know what it could be? And doesn't really go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
I'd check the Serp belt tensioner pulley. This was a common issue back in the early years Nitro 4.0.

BTW; Since the forum update our rig info is no longer displayed under our avatar, So...
If you could please go to your signature (<click this) and put your info about your rig on the first line. It will be easier for us all.

As you can see under every post I make;
This is what I drive:
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd check the Serp belt tensioner pulley. This was a common issue back in the early years Nitro 4.0.

BTW; Since the forum update our rig info is no longer displayed under our avatar, So...
If you could please go to your signature (<click this) and put your info about your rig on the first line. It will be easier for us all.

As you can see under every post I make;
This is what I drive:
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

Yeah that's what I've been seeing. I'll take a look. Is that a pretty easy job to do?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
Doe it increase in speed with RPM, or rig speed?
IE faster the RPM faster the tick or faster the rig moving faster the tick. When the rig shifts and RPM drops doe the tick speed drop also?

Tensioner pulley is not hard to change out unless the bolt is seized.
But that tick is pretty loud. Could be a lifter stuck, which that is a pain to get to in the 4.0.
Could also be a torque converter bolt on the flywheel hitting the cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doe it increase in speed with RPM, or rig speed?
IE faster the RPM faster the tick or faster the rig moving faster the tick. When the rig shifts and RPM drops doe the tick speed drop also?

Tensioner pulley is not hard to change out unless the bolt is seized.
But that tick is pretty loud. Could be a lifter stuck, which that is a pain to get to in the 4.0.
Could also be a torque converter bolt on the flywheel hitting the cover.
The tick increases with speed, pretty much matching the rig. But shifting is smooth doesn't really seem to affect anything else. And no other nosies are made from what I can hear or notice.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
Time to do more searching to narrow it down. Either get an engine stethoscope(harbor freight not much $$), or a wood dowel and place it on various parts to try to find where it is the loudest.(Avoid contacting any moving parts like the Serp belt!)o_O Or you will be :cry:.🚑

1 - 7 of 7 Posts