Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Dodge nitro 3.7

I did the head gaskets no problem. I am unsure the proper way to do the timing chains. Can someone please walk me through the process/steps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2010 Dodge nitro 3.7

I did the head gaskets no problem. I am unsure the proper way to do the timing chains. Can someone please walk me through the process/steps.
Google it. It's on there. And be careful make sure bolts are tight when you do. Make sure the head is on right right

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head gaskets are done - timing chain I’m having an issue. I put it all together and the timing was off. Ripped it all apart and now I’m redoing it a 2nd time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Simple way if unsure is to take off the other rocker cover
Match cam with other side put it to what u think is TDC and if correct other timing gear will be where you would think it should be
Then like is said put cam and gear + chain on to match
That’s what I did and she still going strong
You can’t go by painted dots on chain and stuff as that’s from new assembly when all gears and chains are fitted

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simple way if unsure is to take off the other rocker cover
Match cam with other side put it to what u think is TDC and if correct other timing gear will be where you would think it should be
Then like is said put cam and gear + chain on to match
That’s what I did and she still going strong
You can’t go by painted dots on chain and stuff as that’s from new assembly when all gears and chains are fitted

shouldn’t both cams have the guide pin for the sprocket facing up??

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
here you go

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I mean that the cam mark should line up to correct to link on the timing chain but might take a lot of rotations to get correct

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had someone tell me to set the cam timing marks back 1 tooth…. Has anyone ever heard that before????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts