Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I hope someone can shed some light on my situation. My 07 Slt nitro has had one tipm replaced about a year and a half ago. The problem started with door locks not responding to console or fob. Anyway after the swap, all was well
A couple months back I noticed my lights would turn on when parked. Turns out it was the nitro unlocking itself on its own. After some troubleshooting, I found that my key fob was being super sensitive. So I pried it apart slightly so that a little more pressure would be needed to hit the buttons. Okay issue went away
About a week later, I opened the door with my key and set off the alarm. Couldn’t shut it off for anything. Even started it and drove it around the parking lot. It eventually stopped. Weird but I knew not to put the key in the door again
Now about six weeks after that, approaching the vehicle after a remote start. I press the unlock button twice. As I needed to get in the back before the driver seat. Opened back door and the horn sounds continuously. No stopping it. But the remote start quit. I hopped in and started with the key. Horn still solid. Turned it off and took the key out. Horn still solid and the car still running. After a minute it went off. I drove home and parked it. After I came back to investigate, I opened the door to pop the hood, and no interior light. Tried to crank and nothing. No warning lights, clicks, or any sign of life.
disconnectednegative terminal for ten minutes. Reconnected with a single car honk. Still dead. Cleaned the terminals. Reconnected and got solid horn again. Tried one more time. No horn. But Christmas tree lights and no bus. Now it’s like it doesn’t recognize the battery. 12.6v on cold battery. Charged over night and reconnected to a no bus again.
And here it sits

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
here are a few things to try:
negative ground cable from battery to chassis leg (under battery) this is a common place for corrosion, there are about 10 grounds all clumped together, (mine was so corroded i had to drill and fit new ground bolt),
positive cable from battery to TIPM check its clean and tight (don't overtighten its bolted to the plastic TIPM housing)
and maybe try and start the engine with the shifter in 'N' instead of 'P',

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nitrogen
I did notice that ground to have a lot of debris around it. And the positive cable to tipm…when I unbolted it, the washer cracked in 4 pieces. I’m not even sure what kind of washer it was.
I should add that on my last tipm swap, the dealer said they tightened a ground in the back. Tailgate is that right? AND…. My m38 fuse is blown

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
if you replace M38 with a new fuse does it blow immediately ?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven’t done that yet because I’ve read so much that you shouldn’t just replace the fuse. It can cause more damage.
Plus. Would that blown fuse result in a no bus error? I thought it was for door locks.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
the thing is if you put in a new fuse and it blows, that is a very good indicator that the TIPM has got a short circuit and needs replacing or repairing,
never heard of anyone having a CAN BUS error linked to fuse M38, so not sure,
the Nitro has Ground cable connectors all over the bodywork from front to rear,
all your issues, Horn going off, all cluster lights flashing, are signs of a faulty TIPM, and your faulty keyfob could be the cause,
if the keyfob constantly kept locking or unlocking the doors then the relay overheats, the relay contacts melt and cause a short circuit with the relay next door which is normaly the rear wiper/washer (but all Nitro TIPM layouts are not the same),

if you replace fuse M38 and it does not blow Immediately then it could be an issue with a specific door lock, or part of the wiring harness, a few members have found wires between the body and the door (door hinge area) that have broken or are rubbing on the metal bodywork causing a short circuit, this could cause a CAN BUS error,
normaly it would be the drivers door has this has the master switch and is the most opened and closed door
the above is just some of the common things from this forum,
sorry but your issue could be anywhere,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sooo. I took out the tipm, took it apart and didn’t see any obvious signs of burns or blisters. But I replaced the m38 fuse and reconnected everything. Immediately the horn blared and the fuse blew again. There was no power when I turned the key on. Is a new tipm my next step? If so, any suggestions for a quality replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To give an update. I replaced the tipm. Did a soft reset. She cranked right up. But the wipers don’t work now and it’s throwing a U1412 code. I’m hoping getting the tipm flashed by the dealer will correct that. My nitro has had the wiper recall done earlier.
I also am getting a warning of”check tpm system”. This was occurring before, so I don’t suspect that it’s linked. However I am getting readings on all four tires. Even though the right front loses air everyday

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Great news,
fingers crossed for the flash, you may need to drive your Nitro to clear the TPMS error, however if the new TIPM does not recognise the TPMS then they just need programming to the new TIPM,
where did you buy the TIPM ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great news,
fingers crossed for the flash, you may need to drive your Nitro to clear the TPMS error, however if the new TIPM does not recognise the TPMS then they just need programming to the new TIPM,
where did you buy the TIPM ?
Mail tipm rebuilders

1 - 13 of 13 Posts