Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there new to the forum but been back and forth to here as a long time point of reference, now I believe I've got a TIPM issue with my Dodge Nitro 2009 SXT and I am at a loss of where to find one in the UK currently but will keep trying, let me explain this jeeps issues, it has went through one battery already through me using this jeep maybe once to three times a month for 6 months to it being driven maybe 5-10 times a week for about 40-50 miles a on occasion (Not insane mileage and after the long time sitting it could of really used it) during this time it would flat out die outside a shop if you would turn it off and need a jump to it being unable to start at all and either just clicking or draining the previous battery entirely before dying and then off.
Then came replacement battery.
Everything seems ok.
Door locks stop working first, then the windscreen jets stopped working but the wipers still continued to worked.
So I decided I would check every fuse in the fuse box relating to my query as I saw fit I replaced one as it had a strange coating and looked almost like a burning on the Base so my first thought was replace with the same.
Everything reconnected and I turn on my jeep to hear the motor for my jets going constantly and the wipers going at the same time, I thought it had to clear maybe a log of backed up actions but no it just drained the whole tank lol.

When I'd had to pull the fuse from the screen jet motor fuse in the box to get them to stop it had a small surge of electric charge from fuse-pin? (I'm guessing here).

So any ideas as to whether I'm right in replacing the TIPM or something else any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Sorry but yes you need to replace or repair your TIPM,
fuse M38 is normally the fuse which blows (do NOT continue replacing the fuse it will cause more damage to the TIPM),
the isssue is caused by a set of contacts (for the door locks) inside a double relay melting then making contact with the second part of the relay (wiper washer motor) which causes a short circuit,
go to the electrics section on this forum and check out the thread TIPM repair (export),
hope this helps
Nitrogen

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,673 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi could you tell me if parts are easy to get hold of for your nitro as I'm looking to change from a chevy to a dodge nitro in UK chevy parts are impossible is a nitro a good purchase or problematic and are parts easily available. Thanks I live in the UK. Manchester area

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ah…parts in the U.K., now there’s a question.

Firstly, ‘peripheraltop’ I had the same issue and had no choice but to replace the TIPM. I bought mine from a local Jeep dealership in Swindon, Wiltshire costing me £280. It’s pre programmed at the factory to your VIN number so when it arrives it’s a plug and play figment. Read the thread Nitrogen has suggested it has everything you need to know. Do not replace that fuse it’s a waste of time and could cause further damage.

Now parts availability in the U.K. has been hampered by Dodge pulling out a number of years back. Jeep dealers may still be able to order parts but will not cover any recall notices. For recall work there are a few outlier dodge agents left (Kiddlington, Oxfordshire).

Dodge spares stock was shipped to Italy when Dodge pulled out, if it’s available it’ll take about a week to arrive. Having said this I’m not sure if this is still the case as the parent ownership of the brand name has changed hands yet again…you’ll have to call a Jeep dealer and try it.

Many parts in general are no longer available. Things like internal trim panels, seat covers and items that were exclusive to the Nitro may now be a task to get hold of. Most of the wear parts where they are common to other Jeep models will likely be available, and with aftermarket manufacturers supplying them it shouldn’t be a major issue.

I source most of my parts from the USA, there are numerous excellent suppliers in the States who will ship to the U.K. at pretty reasonable prices. One in particular that I use adds VAT at source so you don’t get hit with extra charges on arrival.

If you are considering buying your first Nitro I would recommend you get a full inspection done before parting with your hard earned cash. U.K. RHD Nitro’s are generally 2007-2009 only if they were brought in by Dodge U.K. This means at best it’s a 12 year old vehicle.

Road salt will have had it’s evil way with everything underneath, the rust monster will be munching away happily.

Hope this helps, but happy to answer any other questions from U.K. owners/potential owners by pm’ing me 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts