Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, as i have a long electo-mechanical background i have decided to try a repair on my tipm, i have nothing to loose as it is faulty and would need replacing.

i have taken out my TIPM, stripped it down to the 2 pcb,s, i have traced back where the no start problem lies, and possibly the central door locking intermittent fault.

so i am looking for any info on the internals of the PITM, as tracing back circuits and testing components is very time consuming. as most components have to be removed to be tested, they are suface mount components so are very very small

any HELP would be great

SCARO do you have anthing or know anyone who could help

thanks D Lambert

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I have had one apart also. Seems most of the inherent issues have to do with dust and moisture getting in between the sandwich of metal tabs going to and from the boards, causing shorts.
I do not have access to, nor have I been able to find, any schematics of the internals of the boards themselves.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, no there was no sign of internal dirt or water all seems ok

the problem i have come across are, a small capacitor and a mosfet gone to ground, and possibly some connector pins being to large for there mounting holes in the PCB, possibly causing a short to the circuit next door. i am taking photo,s as i go.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I would love to see what you are doing.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I am interested as well. Is there any indication anywhere as to who makes the TIPM?

:cool:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, what i have found is that the ignition is sending a signal to the TIPM which sends a signal to the run start relay this is ok, at the same time sends a signal to the PCM and the shift selector, this is not happening thats why shift lever will not move out of PARK, (no power to release the locking actuator when you put foot on brake), and without this signal the TIPM will not send signal to starter relay, it thinks the vehicle is not in PARK. i hope this makes sence.

now the reason for this fault i THINK is because the door locks stopped working, and i found that fuse 38 was blown so i tried another fuse and that blow. so decided it was a faulty door actuator, disconected ALL actuators 1 by 1 each time trying a fuse and still kept blowing, also the power draw on the fuse was huge. i THINK this caused another component in the TIPM to burn out. however i have no proof, but this is the only time i touched the TIPM.

at first thought it was the alarm system but since have ruled this out, and alarm has tested ok.

will do some more work tomorrow on the TIPM;

i think i have found a manufacturer, EPC made in MEXICO

also on the PCB,s there are 11 yes 11 more small relays which control the larger relays on top and external circuits, i am having to find out what the pin-outs are, and voltage, before i can test them as most of these surface mount components are not 12v. also checking the amp output of these small relays, as i believe these go direct to the door actuators ( please let me know if you think there is a relay for the door locks ) i have not found one. also when you lock the doors a + and - signal is sent to the door actuators and when you unlock the signal is reversed to - and +, if a relay is stuck on a - contact would cause fuse to blow. won,t know untill i get to testing relays.

as i said these pcb,s are printed on both sides. i find a pin-out on one side and then realise it connects through a hole to the circuit on the reverse side. through a magnifying glass the circuit looks so different from what you first see.

Please remember i,m in France and there is time difference so if i don,t reply for a while its because i,m sleeping, working, drinking (Christmas ) or been a father.

if there is something i have mentioned that does not seem correct please tell me as i could be wrong and will need to check again.

thanks for you input and interest.

Reactions: MattBox

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I think there are 2 relays to lock and 3 relays to unlock the doors.
2 unlock; primary(driver) and secondary (passenger) and 1 lock are on the PCB. There is another 1 to lock the doors in the body, and 1 to unlock in the body also. The ones in the body are located in the driver side kick panel (UK RHD model).
At least that is what I see in the SM I have, after digging deep.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for that info on the relays, have seen these two relays did not know what they did. will check them however they should be ok, as when i disconected all the connector plugs from the TIPM, i still had a short on the pin-out for fuse 38 and a ground pin.

the info on the primary and secondary relays, do you have a diagram.

also when undoing the TIPM connector plugs i found a couple of wires which look like they have been added detween 2 of the connector plugs, the job has been done very well, i thought this might be a mod carried out by DODGE.

will found out after tracing back to circuits.

thanks

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cbear, thanks,

the layout on the jeeps pcb seems to have some slight differences,

fixing the TIPM should be fairly straight forward, as i have found some components which have shorted out. with a quick check looked like they are linked to my fault area

i also want to find out the cause.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
That is a good find cbear. :smileup:
I do not have complete diagrams of the internal TIPM relays.
But I was able to scan this on the M38 fuse circuit on the PCB.

Dodge did issue a recall for the wiper relay, where they cut some wires and added external relays under the hood. Safety Recall J28 Wipers 2007

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ScarO you just saved me loads of time, the wire mods i can see in my loom are this recall

have found data for the small relays, all the coils have tested good, however the contacts on the double relays are showing some strange results. now removing relays for further tests
also looking up component part n°s.

thanks again

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
Your welcome. Hope the Pic helps a little. This is over my head at this point.
Got any Pics of what you are doing?

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
need to be 100% sure about my testing on the components, then will post findings and then hopefully the repair.

following circuits is a long process and to be 100% sure, this has to be done. quite often putting TIPM back together to verify pin-out position.

i am also trying to find the reason the faults occurred.

if there are any specific pic's you would like then yes i can post them for you.

Reactions: cbear

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
Nothing specific. Just curious to see what you are doing is all.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok this is where i am at today.

spent a little time today following circuits, first few circuits seemed ok, then following the next circuit and it came to a dead end, strange.
now realised the pcb's are not printed on both sides, they are multi layered pcb's.
once the curcuit dissapears Under the top circuit it is impossible to follow, there are small test points dotted all over the pcb which give you access to the inner layers, however you would need a diagram of the test points.

not giving up yet, will continue removing components and testing.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
Way too much work for me. You can get a used TIPM for $100 or less...
Thats how I'd do it.
But kudos to you for your relentless work. :smileup:

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI ScarO.
just tried to upload 1 pic. came back file size to big, HELP
Also can i post photos to my thread.

and i agree too much work in this project. however not wasted i have gained, as i now understand the electronics and workings of the electical system. which as brought me upto date with modern vehicles.

my reasons are:
if i buy a new TIPM i will be getting the same thing again and in the long run will probably give me trouble again.

there are only 600 NITRO,s in FRANCE, have found one crashed, however crashed close to the TIPM, so second hand is not an option.

My nearest DODGE garage is 200 miles away.

DODGE has pulled out of ENGLAND and its getting harder to get parts.
CHRYSLER don't want to help.

have tried FIAT and they do not know anything about the workings of DODGE, or have the Equipment.
have called DODGE FRANCE and someone in England answered and then put me through to someone in France and they said they would find a dealer to fix the NITRO and never called back.

plus a TIPM for my NITRO is on back order and could take 2 months .

have contacted MOPAR and the fact that they want my old TIPM made me think possibly i would receive one which has been repaired.

DODGE are treating this as if it is a service part and when it fails you just replace with a new one. And NOT just DODGE there are a long list of vehicles using the TIPM and having simlar complaints

all of these things convinced me to have a go at a repair.

i have a couple of things left to test and then will decide on my next move.
i have found that the windshield washer circuit and the locking system are somehow shorting to each other casing fuse 38 to blow.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I totally understand why you are doing what you are.
Parts here in the US are more available, and less expensive.
I was looking at the diagram I posted earlier and it does look like the M38 fuse circuit is connected to the wiper relay on the PCB as well.

There are links in my signature on how to upload and post Pics.
You have 3 options, upload to the forum gallery, upload as an attachment
, or upload to a Pic hosting site like PhotoBucket, and then link the Pic into your thread.
Smaller Pic are better because they fit the browser screen. 800 X 600, or 640 X 480 are good sizes.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok will try smaller size pics
getting them onto the thread not sure i can do that but will try

anyway tried to remove relays was too difficult so i linked up a small 9v batterie to test the coils where moving the contacts, ( bear in mind i tested with a meter and resistence on all 11 relay coils was fine. tested with the 9volts, and one of the double relays had no movment on the contacts. managed to remove the outer cover and the contacts of the relay are melted, also the melted contacts are touching the contacts of the relay beside it and stopping that one working.

anyway will try sending some pics

Reactions: NitroDiesel
1 - 20 of 268 Posts