Dodge Nitro Forum banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Where do you get one that cheap?
Back in 2013 when that post was made, I saw several on E-bay at that price. 6 years later it's not so true anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I second the past comment about the handbrake lever design being a common problem, most Nitro's in the UK will fail their MOT test at some point for this reason if not modified...it's just an appauling design.

A constant stream of electrical component failures though must be high on the list, Ive had a lot of issues as my posts will testify. Most recent door window module went bad and the most expensive...the nasty TIPM! I bought a new one from jeep UK flown in from Italy...fairly sure stock must be running down and with the PSA FIAT merger it's surely going to get a lot more challenging.

I'm fairly sure also that automotive homologation rules means manufacturer spares support for a minimum of 10 years, don't quote me though it might have changed by now. As I now only use the beast as weekend ride i'm a lot less concerned than when I used it as a daily work horse.

The Jag E-Pace now takes the punishment and before you think it's great vehicle, read the posts on the E-PAce forum Jaguar haven't got a blooming clue what customers really want or need...but that's another long story for another forum.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought spare TIPM first week of Dec this year when I was in USA, still on the shelf die to poor weather and because current one has some bright moment. 2008 ones are between $100 and $200 unfortunately you have no clue how long it has been running... I assume all TIPMs will die onky when.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Allright, my Nitro headlights left me at the darkness once more again and I decided to perform swap despite the weather. In previous post I wrote I got one for $165. I had P/N 04692235AE and I was focusing on AH or AJ as it seems to be later/latest revision(s). I found one which caught my attention with Asm date 7-18-2013. I believe it was already replaced under warranty. As it seems 2008 Nitro TIPM issues strikes back in this forum, I have a feeling the TIMP lifecycle depends on the engine hours. Avg 10 years of driving. If I'm not wrong I got another 5 years considering the Asm (assembly?) date.

How to replace? Best how to is here: http://www.verticalvisions.com/used-tipm.html

Prior to installation I disassembled it and visually inspected against burned location and water leaks. It looked to be in mint condition.

I hit one roadblock, when I connected battery negative. The alarm started (horn, light, hazards) and I was unable to stop it. No reaction to FOB, door cylinder lock. I assume it might be because of the European option - alarm I have. I came to idea to insert a key into ignition - running position and then connect the battery. It worked!!! (might be risky, but I had no other option - do it on your own risk)
I left the key there for +-20sec and removed the key. Closed door and locked the car. No issue, unlocked and sat in.

I connected OBD and AppcarDiag I mentioned in another thread and went through all settings.
YES the TIPM loaded all settings except the personal ones you set through the EVIC (autolock/autounlock...)
I verified all settings and only VIN and US inverter are different.

After the swap
ABS + WCM units had an "Vehicle configuration mismatch error" stored. After DTC reset the error didn't return.

Manual work (swap) 20 minutes - most time spent by bitching as was unable to pry out one connector.
Diagnostics - 30 minutes - I wanted to make sure all settings are same and exterior lights work according to local laws.

I started the engine and everything works fine. All controls, car behavior is great.

Conclusion: If you get TIPM with the same part number (excluding revision two characters) you can swap it by yourself. Dodge Nitro shares exactly same TIPM module with the Jeep Liberty KK same year. R/T 4.0 and 3.7 are verified same. According to TIPM settings 2.8CRD is supported and I'm confident it will be same module too.European and US cars share the same TIPM module and TIPM will inherit the car settings according to original car region.

I also found original VIN stored in new TIPM and found a donor (what makes me happy, the car was operational till the last minute)... RIP

And of course everything you do is at your own risk.

New TIPM
TIPM_new.PNG IMG_20191219_190010.jpg IMG_20191219_211629.jpg

Here are settings I identified as not synced... No huge deal.
difference.PNG
If you are interested how the TIPM settings look like see here:
TIPM settings example.PNG

261 - 268 of 268 Posts