Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a owners manual, go to page 287,which will tell about how system works,which I didn't do when I bought our Nitro.Don't use tire sealant from can, it will damage sensors in the tire.If equipped-on the steering wheel press and release menu button until system ok comes on the screen in the lower half of the fuel/coolent gauge.Press scroll down arrow,the graphic of each tire will show the tire pressure.This in the premium system if equipped. There is a base and premium system by the way, WORKS GREAT!! hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting tire pressure story.........
I drove my brand new R/T its first 200 miles. It was running hard over bumps and there was a crunchy noise when I braked slowly. Decided to look at the EVIC tire pressure (TPM) page. It came up each tire at 44 PSI. I checked the side door panel and it says 33 PSI cold. OK, I parked the car in the garage and waited 3 hrs.
Rechecked the Tire pressure diagram in EVIC and it said 42 PSI all tires.
I then decided to check with my trusty hand held gauge and ....42 PSI all tires. ( Yeah the TPM works correctly) I guess it came from the factory at 42 PSI. I let air out of each tire down to 33 ( I watched the TPM change as I did it).
Now the car doesn't run as hard, not as much like a truck. Crunch noise on slow stopping seems to be gone. My mileage on that first tank was 20 mpg so I'll now check that on my second tank.
I still cant understand how or who set the 20" tires to 42 PSI in the first place.
Check your tire pressure first out of the dealer lot. Love the car.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
So here is a dumb question. What do we do when we need to replace tires. Can they only be serviced at the dealer..

-Lil'
Aftermarket places can remove our sensors and put them in our new tires. They can also install new ones as well. More and more vehicles come equipped with this technology now - so any reputable place should be quite familiar on how to deal with them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
lilsalmon, the monitor is actually in the valve stem in the rim, and that rarely needs to be changed.

cushsix, it's actually common for dealers to pump the tires up quite a bit on vehicles that are being stored (e.g. not demos, not waiting for delivery to a customer, etc.). It makes it harder for tires to flat-spot. I found that out when I bought my Viper and was surprised that the tires were pumped up to 40 PSI cold (they should be around 30 PSI). Not only was that a rough ride, it was virtually traction-free!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand , but this car was ordered from the factory, build date of March 1, and delivered to my dealer March 10, I picked it up on March 11.
I would hope the dealer didnt do it on their dealer prep... washing.
Maybe the factory does that too. In any case its a good idea to check the pressure right out of the box. I wonder how many others ignore this.

conundrum..........

·
Registered
415 Posts
I understand , but this car was ordered from the factory, build date of March 1, and delivered to my dealer March 10, I picked it up on March 11.
I would hope the dealer didnt do it on their dealer prep... washing.
Maybe the factory does that too. In any case its a good idea to check the pressure right out of the box. I wonder how many others ignore this.

conundrum..........
when i picked mine up from the dealership the salesman showed me the pressure monitoring system (along with other goodies and how they worked) and it had 33 PSI in each tire

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
A lot of dealers will over-inflate the tires while sitting on the lots to keep the tires in better condition. Most dealers should have a "make ready" phase where they will do things like vacuum, activate sirus, set clocks, etc and setting the tire pressure should be included in these; however everyone in a while it gets overlooked..that's why you always check before you get goin.. :thk:

·
Registered
415 Posts
A lot of dealers will over-inflate the tires while sitting on the lots to keep the tires in better condition. Most dealers should have a "make ready" phase where they will do things like vacuum, activate sirus, set clocks, etc and setting the tire pressure should be included in these; however everyone in a while it gets overlooked..that's why you always check before you get goin.. :thk:
My dealership (van **** dodge, warren mi) was great with having mine all prepped and everything set up...............except the MyGiG, since i had the second one built, and the first one at any dealership (and since the plant goofed and did not include the MyGiG navigation manual) the salesman had absolutely no idea how to work the thing heheheh

I went back to the dealership a couple days later (recieved a MyGiG manual from my friend at the plant, and learned how everything worked on the MyGiG) and showed the whole sales staff and most of the techs how the MyGiG worked

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
changing tire(tire pressure monitor in tire)beware!!

if you remove tire from rim,make sure that when they break the bead of the tire from the rim that the machine doesn't break the bead over the valve stem,which will break the tire monitor on the rim,I think they are about $100. a pop BE HAPPY:wave:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I worked as a GM tech for 15yrs,and never inflated tires to store vehicle.
But all new cars come from the factory with over inflated tires,makes them more stable on transporter. Other than that my wife's rear sensors are still intermittently doing the no reading thing .DODGE!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wonder what kind of error message the system gives you when you have to use the spare. There would be 2 tires without the sensor now; and, I doubt that a sensor is included in the spare.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I worked as a GM tech for 15yrs,and never inflated tires to store vehicle.
But all new cars come from the factory with over inflated tires,makes them more stable on transporter. Other than that my wife's rear sensors are still intermittently doing the no reading thing .DODGE!
Now that you say this, you're right, that was actually the explanation I received for the over-inflation. The salesman guessed that it was to prevent flat-spotting, then later on told me it was for transporter stability.

As for blaming Dodge... the sensors are made by Bosch (if I recall correctly), and the vehicle electronics are all Mercedes. And after very recently owning a Benz for a number of years, I can say that you'd be totally justified in ranting about Benz quality -- it isn't what it used to be.

F45 said:
I wonder what kind of error message the system gives you when you have to use the spare. There would be 2 tires without the sensor now; and, I doubt that a sensor is included in the spare.
F45, the pressure monitoring system would work normally with the spare, you just won't get a reading off the spare. The sensor receivers are in three of the wheel wells -- that's where the no-sensor process-of-elimination takes place, not relative to what sensors are in the valve stems on each wheel. I suppose the system will behave exactly as if the battery in the sensor itself has died: you'll get a message to service the system and the "--" dashes in place of a pressure reading.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
So here is a dumb question. What do we do when we need to replace tires. Can they only be serviced at the dealer..

-Lil'
Every tire place is now well aware of the TPMS systems. They've been out for a long time on the more expensive vehicles. Switching my SXT with it's stock 16" to the R/T 20's wasn't a problem... EXCEPT the young guy at Discount Tire got on a hurry breaking down the first wheel and broke the first sensor. Snapped it right off the stem. So if you're not at a dealer I'd just make sure to mention that fact so if they were to break one... they replace it free.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Since the usage of Benz electronics has increased in Chrysler products, the reliability has decreased. Very poor quality. Chrysler would have been better off keeping their electronic manufacturing division.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just a note on the tire monitoring system. I rotated the tires a week or so ago and we were having an issue with the left rear not showing air once in a while. Now it is on the front and today the left rear chimed in again with no air!!! Wasn't the tire sending unit, must be the pickup sensor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.