Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of finishing up my work on my 07 Dodge Nitro 3.7L.

I want to torque the cam sprocket bolts to 90 ft-lbs but i don't have the proper tools to hold the camshaft, is there a way to torque it without any special tools?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

·
Registered
134 Posts
You definitely need a tool to do it. Last I researched it there were a couple options.
You may be able to rent a tool for free (w/refundable deposit) from autozone.

I saw one video of a guy who just held his crankshaft bolt and torqued against that--I would not recommend that method--the chains aren't meant for that much strain as far as I know.

There's some videos by martinbuilt on youtube demonstrating safe methods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely need a tool to do it. Last I researched it there were a couple options.
You may be able to rent a tool for free (w/refundable deposit) from autozone.
Well either renting or buying the tool is an option since we don't have the tool where I'm from, I'd have to buy it and shipped across which will take months and cost me a lot of money.

There's some videos by martinbuilt on youtube demonstrating safe methods.
Yeah i saw Martin's (how to build a DIY camshaft holder) but it does require a bit work and equipments to do it.

I'm wondering about using a vise-grip to hold the camshaft while torquing the bolts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well either renting or buying the tool is an option since we don't have the tool where I'm from, I'd have to buy it and shipped across which will take months and cost me a lot of money.

Yeah i saw Martin's (how to build a DIY camshaft holder) but it does require a bit work and equipments to do it.

I'm wondering about using a vise-grip to hold the camshaft while torquing the bolts?
I wouldn't advise it. I think you want the force to be on the sprocket itself.
If you damage the camshaft you'll be in a bigger world of hurt and probably waiting even longer to find a replacement than just waiting for a tool.

I think you want something like this tool

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't advise it. I think you want the force to be on the sprocket itself.
If you damage the camshaft you'll be in a bigger world of hurt and probably waiting even longer to find a replacement than just waiting for a tool.
I understand that but I've seen it done before, what damage would occur to the camshaft?

I think you want something like this tool
This tool would only "work" on the driver side though.

I hope someone else has an idea on how to do it without special tools.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
134 Posts
I understand that but I've seen it done before, what damage would occur to the camshaft?
I'm no expert, I do know it's a highly precision, machined part. Afaik the camshaft spins at the same rpm as the crankshaft--so it had better be balanced very well--if it gets marred/scored/scratched it could throw that balance off. Depending on where it gets marred I believe it could cause damage to the bearings. If it produces any shavings... well that's a world of trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts