Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a stock interior, only difference between this one and mine is the seats since mine are all black. I kinda forgot to take a before picture lol

Stock interior.jpg

Here's mine now.

DSC00581.JPG

7.1" Double din Kenwood touch screen DVD player. I mean installs are pretty simple on stereos so I'm not going into to much detail but one thing I will say is to not forget to ground the parking wire so you can watch movies while you drive. I have the whole car wired for subs, amps and speakers but I really just enjoy having 4 6" 3-way kicker speakers wired to the deck.

DSC00582.JPG

Yes that is an R2D2 phone charger that lights up and spins when using it. hahaha

DSC00586.JPG

I bought this bucket and totally forgot to see if it had cruise control which of course it did not!! So I put one in my self.
DSC00583.JPG

Luckily mine was prewired to have cruise control so all i needed was the switch and some wiring.
Check this diagram to see if yours is as well.
Pre wire check.png

You do not need the ridiculous $200 rostra kit if your vehicle is prewired. Simply this $30 switch. Just cut and paste the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D1Z85C?keywords=cruise control switch dopdge nitro&qid=1448076818&ref_=sr_1_sc_1&sr=8-1-spell

After you've done that just remove the air bag, which I believe there is a sticky for on this sight somewhere. And its pretty simple, just don't forget to disconnect the battery before hand or you're going to have a bad time.

This is the steering wheel wiring under the airbag. Buy a wire end kit so you have the clips that push into the back of this plug.
steering wiring.png

Run them to the the cruise control switch and dont bother trying to find a wiring harness for this because I just couldn't for the life of me find it, so i made one my self and soldered the wires to the metal tongs on the switch. Use this diagram to see where the wires go on the switch.

Switch wiring.png

Grab some small self tapper screws or some torx screws and you can mount the switch in the steering wheel in the pre drilled holes. You will have to grab a die grinder and a drill and cut a 1" square hole in the steering wheel. I did this with the steering wheel in the car so theres no need to remove it, you're going to make a mess so grab a towel, vacuum and some armor all wipes.
Switch install.png

If you need more instructions, go to this site, click product description and then intallation.

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/content/250-9001new.pdf

And thats it! It uses the dash lights and everything and works great. Enjoy it!!

I also put weather tech floor mats in the front and back, which are just great haha

DSC00585.JPG

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
Well done on the install. You can also add the OEM cruise switch which is also plug and play.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
well done, some great info, my son (8) thinks the R2D2 is awsome.

Reactions: Ch3no2freak

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that switch is the oem plug and play but buying just the switch with no wiring harness will save you a ton of money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey I love the idea of installing the cruise control and I'm definitely down for saving money on the whole harness. But what did you mean by "a wire end kit" what do the clips that you used to push into the back of the plug look like? Any details or links would be a huge help. Thanks, and a thousand thanks for the detail and step by step instructions. I can't wait to get started

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rostra sells a wire kit for 200 bucks. and in all my searching I could not for the life of me find a plug that fit the back of the switch. So I cut off the plastic around the prongs and soldered the wires directly to them. And I grabbed some terminal ends from work to attach to the wires and insert in the plug harness in the steering wheel. So I had to improvise a little to hook it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I'm new Ito the forum and just bought a 2011 Dodge Nitro Heat a month ago. Really liked the SUV but it didn't have cruise control either. Thanks to Ch3no2freak. I checked to see if mine was pre-wired. The EMC was a little different as far as color codes on wires but it had them where they were needed including all 6 pins directly under steering column so I simply bought a switch for 35 bucks and soldered wire to it and plugged in behind air bag. Everything works great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts