Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Dodge website under options it says towing capacity for the SLT with the 3.7 is 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped. If you watch the video for towing it says 3,500 lbs. when properly equipped, then it says 5,000 lbs. for the RT. So, which is accurate? I'd really like a SLT with the bigger engine but that's not available as of now. I have a small travel trailer, 2,000lbs. but my Grand Cherokee is a dog with it and that's rated for 5,000lbs. Any opinions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Towing

I just towed a 6X12 uhaul trailer, fully loaded 500 miles and didn't have any problems. Those things weigh a lot by themselves before loading it. I have the SLT with Auto trans. Just hit the tow button so it disables the overdrive and you shouldn't have any problems at all towing your trailor.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the Dodge website under options it says towing capacity for the SLT with the 3.7 is 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped. If you watch the video for towing it says 3,500 lbs. when properly equipped, then it says 5,000 lbs. for the RT. So, which is accurate? I'd really like a SLT with the bigger engine but that's not available as of now. I have a small travel trailer, 2,000lbs. but my Grand Cherokee is a dog with it and that's rated for 5,000lbs. Any opinions?

To my understanding "Properly equipped" is the Factory Tow Package.

Meaning, if you get the SLT with out the factory Tow package, and you later decide you need to tow something, so you install a Class II or Class III receiver hitch. Your towing Capacity will be 3,500lbs.

But if you purchased your nitro with the factory "Tow Package", or install the same equiptment aftermarket, then your towing capacity will be 5,000 lbs.

The Factory Tow package Includes:

Heavy-duty Engine and Power Steering coolers, Class III Hitch Receiver, and Full Size Spare Tire.

I would say, if you plan on towing 5,000 lbs, you really should look at the R/T. The extra power will make you alot happier owner, But if you are only going to tow 2,000, the SLT will probably be plenty for you. Then Again, You can't ever go wrong with more horsepower!

-TheChad

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've answered this question in other threads before, but here goes again. This info came from the Dodge.com website & was confirmed with the Dave Smith Dodge service dept.

Properly equipped is to have the tow package for up to 3500 lbs. and a weight equalizer hitch for up to 5000 lbs. This is for all SXT, SLT & RT Nitros with either automatic transmission. The only exception is the SXT with the manual trans, which has a tow cap. of 2000 lbs.

I have been towing a +2200 lbs ATV trailer with my Nitro quite a bit since I got it in January, including freeway speeds, mountain roads, snowy conditions, etc. and the truck does fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
it equalizes the weight. There is tension on the equalize bars that actually lifts some of the weight from the primary contact point(hitch/ball). It is a common setup on rv's. I use one for my 30' trailer. It really makes a difference

·
Registered
790 Posts
It will be interesting to see how these rigs pull our boats this spring/summer. I had a 98 Dakota with the 5.2. It had about 20 ft/lbs of torque more, and about 30 more HP, but also weighed almost 2000 lbs more than the Nitro. The short wheelbase has me a bit concerned but it seems like it should do OK.

·
Registered
790 Posts
20' Mastercraft, tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. Weighs about 4000 lbs. maybe 4500 fully loaded & gased up.

I believe the SLT already has a rear sway bar in it. So I'm banking on just needing to retrofit this equalizer on the trailer & be OK. I'm not too concerned about short trips. But longer trips, especially thru the mountain passes around here, might be a bit much for the Nitro.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There ya go...... Nice. I haven't seen all the figures in one table like that at all. Thanks for sending that Nitrotech.

Not sure where the 6000 lb figure came from. Haven't seen that at all. According to this table the manual trans is rated for 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Air Junky. It's funny how that weird looking thing would help up the capacity 1,500 Pounds. Have you pulled your boat yet? I have a similar size boat and would love to hear how everything goes. Good Luck and thanks again.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Haven't tried it yet. Probably going to be a month or so before I do too.
I have towed a 2500 lb quad trailer quite a bit. Mountain passes are tough on the Nitro. I can't imagine towing 5000 lbs over a pass.

G

·
The load distributing hitch makes a HUGE difference in vehicle stability when towing heavy (3500lbs+) loads. Especially on the 16" tires, which have softer, taller sidewalls and more compliance. (I've towed various loads with and without the weight bars).

It is HIGHLY recommended that you follow the mfg recommendations for this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
20' Mastercraft, tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. Weighs about 4000 lbs. maybe 4500 fully loaded & gased up.

I believe the SLT already has a rear sway bar in it. So I'm banking on just needing to retrofit this equalizer on the trailer & be OK. I'm not too concerned about short trips. But longer trips, especially thru the mountain passes around here, might be a bit much for the Nitro.
Sway control on a trailer is different than the sway control on the Vehicle suspension. A trailer sway control dampens the tendency for the trailer to fishtail back and forth while towing.

Ask your hitch dealer to show you one or explain.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.