Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the Nitro could tow a enclosed trailer? It is about 7x14 and would have about 1500lbs inside it. I am thinking about getting a Nitro but this will be a big factor in buying one or not. So, any info you have on one of these towing would be great.

Jason

G

·
I was wondering if the Nitro could tow a enclosed trailer? It is about 7x14 and would have about 1500lbs inside it. I am thinking about getting a Nitro but this will be a big factor in buying one or not. So, any info you have on one of these towing would be great.

Jason
I read in the brochure that it had 3500 standard and 5000 with a weight distributing hitch......

I had been wondering the same thing.

I have a enclosed motorcycle trailer and two bikes. The 14' x 7' trailer is 2250 lbs to start - add the two bikes..... I am looking at 3650 lbs.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. I need to be able to tow a two-place enclosed snowmobile trailer. Sleds weigh about 650-750 each and the trailer weighs about 1200 lbs. Looks like it shouldn't be a problem and I shouldn't need a "weight distributing hitch".

I am waiting on the R/T version just so I can get the bigger motor - which should tow better and have a little stiffer suspension for better handling with a trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would really like to know if anyone has towed anything with one of these and how much weight it was. I was at the dealership today and the sales guy said that it should pull it no problem. He said it would pull 5000 up to 7200 with no problem. I don't see that happening. Before I drove one, I was thinking it might be possible. But now, after driving one all day, I don't see it pulling much of a load. Especially an enclosed trailer with two sport bikes and race gear. Please help guys. What do you guys think? Everything seems great so far but I CANT buy it until I know it WILL pull what I want it to!!!!! Help I have to go back tomorrow with it and it is the only blue one that they have.... :confused:
Jason

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
If you want to pull that much you will have to get a tow package with a heav duty hitch like mentioned earlier..The tow weight max with the stock Nitro is 3500lbs and it could do that..oyud just need a heavier setup to tow more :)

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Ya, that is what I am leaning towards. It seems like I might have to go with something that I KNOW will pull it. I just don't think that this little V6 has the power to get the job done. :(

Jason
The Nitro could handle it, youd just have to get a heavier hitch setup..My roomate use to have a V4.0 engine and he towed a trailer that had to be a good 4500-5000 pounds with the stock hitch..if you were to just upgrade the tow system I think youd be just fine

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I would really like to know if anyone has towed anything with one of these and how much weight it was. I was at the dealership today and the sales guy said that it should pull it no problem. He said it would pull 5000 up to 7200 with no problem. I don't see that happening. Before I drove one, I was thinking it might be possible. But now, after driving one all day, I don't see it pulling much of a load. Especially an enclosed trailer with two sport bikes and race gear. Please help guys. What do you guys think? Everything seems great so far but I CANT buy it until I know it WILL pull what I want it to!!!!! Help I have to go back tomorrow with it and it is the only blue one that they have.... :confused:
Jason
I think you are right on the edge of it being acceptable. Do you tow often? If you do you'd probably be better off with the Durango/Grand Cherokee (or something with a better tow rating and the 4.7L) or at least waiting for the R/T version of the Nitro with the 4.0L.

My situation is similar. I've got a Hemi Ram QC 1500 that is coming off of it's lease soon. All I tow is the sleds in an enclosed trailer. Granted, it is the best tow vehicle I've ever owned but all it hauls most of the time is me. I'm looking for something that can tow a 3000-4000lb trailer infrequently and get 20 mpg or better when it isn't.....and I'm not certain the Nitro with the 4.0L/AWD will get that kind of real world gas mileage. Some reviews of the R/T report 16-17mpg - but they probably had a heavy foot all the time. I'll be watching for MPG reports from consumers on it. My next choices in Vehicles are the Dakota QC or maybe the Durango/Jeep SUV's - all with the 4.7 in them. It's looking like I'll still have to give up some MPG to tow - until the small diesels get here. The Diesel Grand Cherokee may be an option too but that might be a very expensive vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.