Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone towing with a Nitro yet? I'd like to hear about your experience.

I have a 98 Dakota I tow a 4000 ski boat on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. The Dakota GVWR is 6000 lbs with a 5.2 liter that has 230 horse & 300 ft/lbs of torque. Will a Nitro (GVWR of 4000 lb) with the 210 horse & 235 ft/lbs of torque really pull this boat safely? I know the Nitro is rated for 5000 lbs but it doesn't seem like towing a 5000 lb trailer with a 4000 lb truck is very wise. Maybe with a tandem axle & trailer brakes it can be done though. Anyone ever do it?

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I pulled my mom's bayliner (19') with NO problems. I havn't hooked my donzi up to it yet. Even though it's 2' shorter, it's alot heaver. I like the sway bar that they use on the Nitro. Seems to keep things in line.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a post showing my 18 foot open car trailer i have towed with the R/T

I have only towed the trailer with no car (had to pick the new trailer up at the distribution lot weight approx 1420 lbs

It towed like their was not even anything behind me

Within the next week or so i need to load the car on the trailer and tow her to a shop to have a tune put on the car. This should be a total of 4400 lbs behind me

I have a weight distributing hitch with a sway controller so it should tow with ease

Ohh ya i got over 19 MPG towing the trailer approx 60% highway 40% city

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got went over and got my boat today from my folks' garage (hard to beat free winter-time storage) and she pulled just fine all the way.

I used the Tow/Haul featuer as recommmended by the manual in the "hilly" sections and kept it off on the flats. I pulled over the Continental Divide and had no problems whatsoever. I am not sure on the exact specs of my boat but it's definately not 4000 lbs. It's a little Sea-Doo Sportster.

Gas mileage-wise, I filled up too and I am right about where I normally am on the gas gage so that wasn't too terrible either.

Guess a road trip to Lake CDA isn't too outa the question eh air?? ;)

·
Nitro Addict!
538 Posts
Towing should not be a problem with the Nitro

I have towed a small trailer with a few Quads on it with no problem, but that is much less than 5,000lbs

My 4 place Sea Doo trailer will be a different story, but I think it will also be okay, just a little slower going up the 8,000 ft. mountain to the lake. It is dual axel with surge brakes, which makes me feel a little more confident towing it, as stopping it is more of a concern than pulling it.

Let us know how you are doing with towing large, heavy trailers with your Nitro.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bring it on, SD!
I towed the ATV trailer with only one ATV on it out to CdA yesterday. On the way out I had the ATV too far back behind the axle & the hitch knocked on every single bump. But on the way home I moved the quad forward a bit to increase the tongue weight & it towed to 75 mph & got 18 mpg over the trip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bring it on, SD!
I towed the ATV trailer with only one ATV on it out to CdA yesterday. On the way out I had the ATV too far back behind the axle & the hitch knocked on every single bump. But on the way home I moved the quad forward a bit to increase the tongue weight & it towed to 75 mph & got 18 mpg over the trip.
Watch out Air...I just might....got some family living up in CDA!

I noticed the tongue wieght as well. Hitch knocked, esp. through a contruction zone that's 10 miles long (what a slow trip that was). Let's see...how do you increase the tongue weighted on a boat and trailer without the ability to move the boat any farther forward on the trailer? Need a bow wieght of some kind.....Hmm....would a large cooler of beer work??? :beerchug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
here is what I am towing today. I have to haul some wood up to our vacation property. It's a 12 foot trailer and those are 4 foot pallets. We'll see how the nitro does and I will report back.
How did the towing go? Did you have a weight distribution hitch? One of the reasons I went with the Nitro compared to other mid-size SUV's was the higher towing capacity, so any feedback on others towing would be great! Thanks.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Disappointed!

Last weekend I towed my Polaris 800, total weight with trailer is approximately 1600 lbs and I wasn't very impressed. It definitely didn't like going up hills. The rpm's at times hit 5500 , sounded like the motor was going to self-destruct. I'm anxious to get my exhaust, intake and chip to see if it makes a difference. I'm getting it dynoed between each addition so I can see what each mod actually does.

·
Registered
172 Posts
oops. I'll have to post the pic again. The towing went well. I had it loaded a little front heavy so it felt odd. I agree that the rpms were up there when I would go up the hills on the backroads, but there seemed to be plenty of power there. One of the reasons I would like the 6 speed tranny over the 4. On the freeway, once I was at cruising speed it was quite comfortable with the load. I would guess tha overall weight was 3500 lbs counting the trailer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Towed our 2200 lb ATV trailer fully loaded over 4th of July pass today. No problems. The RPMs get up to around 4500 or 4700 RPM to maintain 60 mph but it did the job.
I'm not sure I've hit 5500 RPM yet but it would be beyond where I'm confortable with it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's a shot of my boat after backing it up to my back garage. No the Nitro isn't sagging at all, I've got a bit of a dip there between my back driveway and the alley. Anyhow, everything I have hitch-wise has a 2 inch drop. Been looking for a new one with no drop.

Also the only other thing I noticed when pulling my boat is the blindspots. Anybody using a mirror extender on their nitro?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.