Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you got a feeling for the traction control system? What is the system doing for you? I am curious about all around driving conditions, everything really - dry/wet pavement, dirt, and snow/icy conditions. I'll explain. On dry pavement, does it prevent wheelspin? In other words, if you did a loaded torque converter launch from a dead stop, would the traction control system prevent wheelspin? Same goes for all the other conditions. Just how good is the system, and have any of you had any standout experiences? I am looking for a good reason to order the full-time 4WD when I order my R/T. But if the traction control system is maintaining stability as advertised, would not the part time system be just as good?:thk:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I really like the traction/stability control system. I find its not too senstive. Which I feel is a good thing. I've driven some vehicles where the the abs brakes activate too soon, also where traction control is too sensitive the vehicle will barely move forward. The Nitro's ESP system has a good feel for road conditions. Here in Canada we have plenty of snow and ice so getting a feel for the system is quick.

I have deliberately put my Nitro into a skid on snow and the ESP system did a great job in straightening the vehicle out. Obviously there are limitations due to speed, but in my situation I found the system to be very intuitive and not just it slamming on the brakes and taking over control of the vehicle.

My Nitro is the part-time 4wd system and personally would recommend it over the all-time 4wd. Reason is just alot of extra drivetrain that doesn't need to be driven when conditions are good which is generally most of the time. Even here in Canada during winter. Also, less tire wear. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree with NitroLarry the system is not overly aggressive , & does straighten the truck quickly before you can say what the heck you are back on the straight & narrow again . I have p/t 4wh dr. on the Nitro & awd on my van much prefer the p/t on the Nitro over the awd for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with NitroLarry the system is not overly aggressive , & does straighten the truck quickly before you can say what the heck you are back on the straight & narrow again . I have p/t 4wh dr. on the Nitro & awd on my van much prefer the p/t on the Nitro over the awd for the same reasons.
I really appreciate the responses on the traction control. This is the type of info. I am seeking. Would really like to know what some owners of rear wheel drive only have to say about wet pavement. Reading your two responses, it's clear I don't have the same idea of the full-time 4WD that you do. Do you know something that I don't? Dodge literature does not bill the system as All Wheel Drive, but rather Full-Time Four Wheel Drive. To me, this implies that you can turn off the full time 4WD and run on just 2WD. With the system turned off, it seems to me that the vehicle would be at the same place (drivewise) as the Part-Time system. That is, disconnected at the differential forward, but the wheels, axles and drive line components from the front wheels back would be solid connected just like the part time system. From what I have read, the only difference in the two systems was that the full-time diff. utilizes more sensors on the wheels, and allows for different rpm management between wheel speeds, thus allowing you to drive it on pavement. I could be overly simplifying this, but I think you get the idea. This is what prompted me to ask about the traction control. All things being somewhat equal, if the traction control system works well on wet pavement, then there may be little advantage to the full time four wheel drive differential. Which makes me want to ask, if the traction control works really well, do two wheel drive Nitros drive as if they have limited-slip rear differentials? Which is the reason I ask the original question about full torque launches on dry pavement. The vehicle I am currently in has a 260 HP 4 litre engine and weighs about the same as the Nitro. It does not have traction control. It has an electrically locking rear diff. that can only be used off road. On wet streets, it can get very loose very quickly. I just sold my '06 Miata (so I could trade my truck on the Nitro) that had traction/stability control with an on/off switch. It drove wonderfully well on wet pavement with that system, but I could turn it off on dry pavement to get performance. Again, this is another reason why I am asking so many questions about the Nitro's traction control.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The full-time 4WD option in the Nitro does not have a 2wd mode, unlike the part-time system. The ESP traction control only has two modes as well, on and partial on. You can't turn it fully off. I haven't tried launching it on wet or dry pavement to the point where either ESP would kick in, or (if available) a limited-slip diff would be useful. From the 10 seconds of experimentation I had during the brief snow we've had this year, it seems as though part of the mitigation for wheel spin involves both braking the appropriate wheel as well as reducing throttle. I don't think it's going to behave exactly like an electronic/mechanical locker, since the main purpose is stability and not performance. That's fine for everyday driving, but I could see occasionally wishing I could turn ESP off completely at times..

We had the full-time transfer case on our Liberty (which DID let you select 2wd, as well as part-time 4wd AND 4LO.) It was nice because a few people were driving it, and I could just set it to full-time in the winter and did not have to worry about them remembering to switch it into/out of 4wd as conditions warranted. Or rather, them leaving it in part-time 4wd because they didn't know any better.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had the full-time transfer case on our Liberty (which DID let you select 2wd, as well as part-time 4wd AND 4LO.) It was nice because a few people were driving it, and I could just set it to full-time in the winter and did not have to worry about them remembering to switch it into/out of 4wd as conditions warranted. Or rather, them leaving it in part-time 4wd because they didn't know any better.
I had the same system on my '03 Liberty 4WD, which is why I thought I would be able to switch the Nitro to 2WD. Bummer. I really appreciate your insight and hope others will also give feedback on this issue. If the traction control/stability control systems is really great, maybe I really don't even want to order 4WD, even though it really only cost an extra $1,500.00 or so. Even so, that would pay for the MyGIG system. :i_rolleyes: Stray thoughts, gota luv em!

G

·
I really appreciate the responses on the traction control. This is the type of info. I am seeking. Would really like to know what some owners of rear wheel drive only have to say about wet pavement. Reading your two responses, it's clear I don't have the same idea of the full-time 4WD that you do. Do you know something that I don't? Dodge literature does not bill the system as All Wheel Drive, but rather Full-Time Four Wheel Drive. To me, this implies that you can turn off the full time 4WD and run on just 2WD. With the system turned off, it seems to me that the vehicle would be at the same place (drivewise) as the Part-Time system. That is, disconnected at the differential forward, but the wheels, axles and drive line components from the front wheels back would be solid connected just like the part time system. From what I have read, the only difference in the two systems was that the full-time diff. utilizes more sensors on the wheels, and allows for different rpm management between wheel speeds, thus allowing you to drive it on pavement. I could be overly simplifying this, but I think you get the idea. This is what prompted me to ask about the traction control. All things being somewhat equal, if the traction control system works well on wet pavement, then there may be little advantage to the full time four wheel drive differential. Which makes me want to ask, if the traction control works really well, do two wheel drive Nitros drive as if they have limited-slip rear differentials? Which is the reason I ask the original question about full torque launches on dry pavement. The vehicle I am currently in has a 260 HP 4 litre engine and weighs about the same as the Nitro. It does not have traction control. It has an electrically locking rear diff. that can only be used off road. On wet streets, it can get very loose very quickly. I just sold my '06 Miata (so I could trade my truck on the Nitro) that had traction/stability control with an on/off switch. It drove wonderfully well on wet pavement with that system, but I could turn it off on dry pavement to get performance. Again, this is another reason why I am asking so many questions about the Nitro's traction control.
This is my first post- I am new. i live in Australia, and have a 2007 SXT which is part time 4WD. I find if the car is in 2WD on a hill, in the wet- the traction is terrible, and a little frightening- despite the ESP kicking in.I always have to switch to 4WD if conditions aren't "sunny weather" If I leave it in 4wd on pavement- the front locks up. It's as if there's not enough weight in the back despite me actaully carrying load much of the time. Anyone got any advice on how to keep out of 4WD on only wet days? it's not like it is snowing...and turning becomes very difficult when in 4WD...

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum butchandsas, :wave:
When you have a chance head over to the newbie section and say "Hi".
Then we can welcome you all proper like.

What kind of tires do you have on your rig?
I live in Washington state USA, and have stock tires on my Trō. It rains here most of the time and I have no issues at all. The only time I have issues is on a wet grass covered hill, trying to back up a loaded trailer of fire wood.
You should never run 4 wheel drive, and turn, on dry pavement. It will ruin the front differential, among other things.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
This is my first post- I am new. i live in Australia, and have a 2007 SXT which is part time 4WD. I find if the car is in 2WD on a hill, in the wet- the traction is terrible, and a little frightening- despite the ESP kicking in.I always have to switch to 4WD if conditions aren't "sunny weather" If I leave it in 4wd on pavement- the front locks up. It's as if there's not enough weight in the back despite me actaully carrying load much of the time. Anyone got any advice on how to keep out of 4WD on only wet days? it's not like it is snowing...and turning becomes very difficult when in 4WD...
Hey butchandsas, welcome to the forum.

I agree with ScarO, what tires do you have on it? When it rains here it really rains and I have no problem at all. It does spin but only when I put my foot into it too hard. Maybe a tire change will do the trick.

The 4WD system on the Nitro is part time not AWD so it must be used with caution. The front wheels are locked together so turning will be difficult on dry pavement. It is only to be used where the front wheels can slip, ie, mud, snow, ice etc. If you must use it in the rain try to avoid sharp, slow turns.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I find the traction control system totally useless.
My Nitro will often wheel spin out of junctions if i slightly get on it, and thats with it turned on.

In our recent UK snow i found it even more usless and turned it off.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have any of you got a feeling for the traction control system? What is the system doing for you? I am curious about all around driving conditions, everything really - dry/wet pavement, dirt, and snow/icy conditions. I'll explain. On dry pavement, does it prevent wheelspin? In other words, if you did a loaded torque converter launch from a dead stop, would the traction control system prevent wheelspin? Same goes for all the other conditions. Just how good is the system, and have any of you had any standout experiences? I am looking for a good reason to order the full-time 4WD when I order my R/T. But if the traction control system is maintaining stability as advertised, would not the part time system be just as good?:thk:
I have complete faith in the Nitro ESP system. I will not buy another vehicle without it since my scary situation i had in my Nitro. =)

Go read here and you will understand.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=25935&highlight=zmass

·
Registered
65 Posts
BUTCHANDSAS- its too bad you're not happy with the traction, as I can honestly say my Nitro is better than anything I've driven. I hardly use 4wd even in the snow, as with snow tires and the limited slip/posi rear, it goes almost anywhere. But I do turn of the ESP in town as a little wheelspin in snow makes it easier to get going, especially when you pull onto a street.

·
Banned
11,539 Posts
Mine has saved me from a potential meet and greet with a K-rail in the rain and now that I am in snow/ice country I feel so much safer!! I know it isn't a cure all but it does work! If Blue gets hurt protecting me then she has done the job she was meant to do!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Last week I wish I had an anchor to throw out.
The ABS let me slide (stutter,stutter) right through a 4 way stop.
I had lots of room I think i could have stopped better without it, that time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ABS does NOT make you stop faster, it makes you stop straight, you can steer without spinning out, make sense? This winter on icy pavement I had to brake fast to avoid rear-ending a left turner in front of me, if it had not been for ABS, I surely would have spun-out, no telling where it would have ended up. I was abe to steer straight, go on the shoulder and avoid a collision. Thanks, Douglas

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I was very impressed with the TCS in slippery conditions. In a recent snow, with 4MD OFF, it pulled me through and felt like I had a posi on the rear. With 6" of snow and a layer of ice, this was pretty good proof to me that this system works.

I turn off the TCS in dry weather because it activates every time I am a little aggressive with the clutch making a turn. Especially a turn on a hill. I don't think this is an issue with an automatic transmission.

To answer your question about preventing wheelspin on dry pavement, ---- yes it does that and I feel that it is not necessary and it likely wears the brakes unevenly if use often on dry pavement. If I dump the clutch at 3,000 RPM with the TCS on, I just get a little chirp and if feels almost like a flat spot. It is not the sort of wheelspin prevention that helps hard acelleration.

I also like the part tie 4WD because if your really need it, the locked system works better than a full time 4WD system in the snow and muck.

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.