Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hooked up a trailer brake controller on the Nitro. Mine has a factory towing package but I cannot find the wires under the dash where they usually are on other brands? Usually when you have a factory towing package they furnish a plug with a pigtail for hooking up the controller. I called drawtite for help and they said they would get back to me but I need to tow a trailer asap.

Thanks for any help guys!

Jim

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Trailer electrical hook-up

I have had the same problems in getting a tekonsha controller hooked up to a tow package. Dealer sent me to an off-road dealer who can't get it connected. Dealer is now checking with Dodge Hq (they didn't even have a schematic). Hopefully will get it connected soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
incomplete wiring for towing package on the Nitro

Hope you find out the wiring. When you do please post it on here.

I spoke to another manufactor and they said that I would have to find the blue wire in the harness and wire the rest of it myself since Dodge did not do the prewire completely. He said that they have the same problem with the jeeps and since the Nitro is built in a Jeep factory it would stand to reason that they do it the same way.

Thanks for the help

Jim

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I heard from the Dodge folks regarding this problem. The Nitro is manufactured without the wiring harness for the brake regulator. In the adapter package (nylon bag containing the other plug that comes with the tow package) is an instruction sheet which identifies the terminal in the hitch plug that is for electric brakes. Dodge says that I need to have "a qualified Dodge professional" install the brake regulator. Just got back from the dealer today and the service manager says they can hook it up via the 'cut and splice method. I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
415 Posts
it sucks that they dont have a pigtail from the factory to plug the controller into
when i got my ram with towing package that was part of the package and it should have been part of the towing package on the Nitro

in my opinion the best controller is the prodigy controller had one on my ram and it was awsume

looks like i will be doing some wiring to hook up the prodigy on the R/T

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Got the controller hooked up!!!

:Banana01: Finally got my Tekonsha controller hooked up at the dealer, which I highly recommend. Cost $205 ($167 was labor, the rest shop stuff). The controller had to be mounted to the left of the steering column because the data controller is to the right of the column. All you folks having trouble getting your dealer to hook you up need to tell them to get off the stick.

My Dealer is Crenwelge Motors, 301 Main St, Kerrville, Texas 78028. Toll free phone # is 800-728-4835. Service Advisor's name is Travis Neal. They treated me right and even gave me a new Nitro to drive while mine was in the shop. Good luck.:Racing:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to open such an old thread, but I can't find the answer anywhere. This is the closest to what I'm looking for.

Has anyone found out how or to which wires, to hook up the electric brake controller. I've tested the factory 7 pin, and EVERYthing (even reverse!) is connected accept the e-brakes.

I'm hopeing that there is a simple pigtail to plug in and splice to. My 2500 had one, and my mothers Dakota also had it. I couldn't find one in the Nitro yet. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?:thk:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Electric Brake Controller

Sorry but the Nitro doesnt have a plug in connector for the electric trailer brakes as some other makes and models have.

You will find the red wire for the electric brakes under the drivers kick panel. In mine it was next to a large harness but not within it. The red wire was just doubled over and taped. You will need to get 12v fused from some source and connect as per your wiring diagram that came with your controller. I elected to get the 12v direct off the battery thru a fuse to the controller. Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to look after work.

Sorry to keep asking, but I don't like padding the Dealers pocket. They quoted me an hour shop rate ($90.00) to install MY controller. :eek:

Is the Red wire the signal coming from the brake pedal, or is it the outgoing to the trailer connector? I've always seen Blue going to the connector, have they changed the colours? Just trying to save running a new wire, especially if it's already in the harness.

·
Registered
415 Posts
the red wire is the outgoing to the trailer connector

i hooked up my protegy controller myself

hook the red wire to the outgoing signal from the controller
hook up the controller posative and negative to the battery
you then have to tap into the correct wire from the brake light switch. if you have crusie control your brake light switch will have 5 0r 6 wires going to it, all i did was used my test light and found the wire that had power when i depressed the brake pedal, used a wire tap to connect that wire to the wire signal input to the controller and thats all their is to it
i mounted my controller under the dash on the left side

cost me approx $90 for the controller (protegy is the best, read up on them and you will learn why they are the best)
zero bucks for labor and parts (as i had all the wire and connectors needed)

pretty simple install took me maybe an hour

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Red is color wire in my Nitro anyway.

It goes to the pin in the trailer connector. There is also some info on it if you look at Knowledge base repairs in this forum. That will give you more info.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.