Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

New charts located here. < Click there.

TOW/HAUL OPERATION

The tow/haul indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator when the tow/haul function of the tow/haul switch has been selected, revising the shift schedule of the electronically controlled automatic transmission. This indicator is controlled by a transistor on the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.

The tow/haul indicator Light Emitting Diode (LED) is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit, and that logic will only allow this indicator to operate when the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit. Therefore, the LED will always be OFF when the ignition switch is in any position except ON or START. The LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The instrument cluster will turn ON the tow/haul indicator for the following reasons:
      • Tow/Haul Indicator Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives an electronic tow/haul indicator lamp-ON message from the PCM indicating that the tow/haul shift schedule has been selected, the indicator will be illuminated. The indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a lamp-OFF message from the PCM, or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.
      • Actuator Test - Each time the cluster is put through the actuator test, the tow/haul indicator will be turned ON, then OFF again during the bulb check portion of the test to confirm the functionality of the LED and the cluster control circuitry.
The PCM continually monitors the tow/haul switch to determine the proper outputs to the automatic transmission. The PCM then sends the proper lamp-ON or lamp-OFF message to the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great Info NITROTECH, I wanted to ask you though, I dont have the tow/hual option on my r/t, am I still able to put a trailer hitch on it and pull a trailer and do the above figures still apply to my Nitro? Being it doesnt have the tow/hual selector?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thats what I was wondering, becuase I know I have the trans and engine oil coolers(never checked for the PS cooler), but I dont have the tow/hual selector, I would likely assume if I ever have another tranny issue, dodge would be like Oh Well you were towing stuff this isnt made to tow.....BAM NOT UNDER WARRANTY AGAIN.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The tow/haul button was only offered on the 3.7l engine. Sounds like you have the tow package and therefore could pull the full 5k trailer.:)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The tow/haul button was only offered on the 3.7l engine. Sounds like you have the tow package and therefore could pull the full 5k trailer.:)
I have the Tow/Haul button, but do NOT have the towing package. It would be useful for light-duty towing (2000# max by the chart above), but only seems to be effective in locking out Overdrive. Doesn't do much at all below 50mph, which is very, VERY disappointing.

Thanks for the chart, NitroTech. I had not seen it before. If I get a hitch installed, I'll have to look into the tranny cooler so that I can get the higher (3500#) capacity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought mine and it didn't have the tow package, but did have the tow / haul mode. So as part of my deal, the dealer installed a hitch / wire harness, which allows me to haul the 2000#. I spoke to the dealer and they are installing a dodge aux trans cooler for $300. This is fully covered by my wrap warranty because it is an OEM Part installed by a dodge dealer. This cooler allows me to haul 3500#.

The power steering cooler is a gimmick, I've been towing trailers for 30+ years and never had or needed one. The oil cooler really is only needed if you are going to haul maximum loads over long distances in higher temperatures. Without the engine oil cooler you should just change your oil more often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unfortunately, I bought a "B" package right off the lot (it was the end of the model year and the car was a relative steal, I thought). I had been towing with an '06 Dakota 4.7L with the towing package, but none of the options (except the wiring harness and hitch) ever SEEMED useful (I tow a 1,300 lb. combination of motorcycle and trailer for distances of in excess of 1,000 miles). I put a Reese Class C/D hitch and a T-One wiring harness on the SXT. loaded the trailer and left on a relatively short trip (270 miles) to Galveston, Tx. Bad idea - by the time I got to Houston the engine temp light had been flickering and I was down to 45 m.p.h. - on tow/haul! I made the trip back in 1-hour stages, and had Dodge add the engine- and transmission-oil coolers. A subsequent trip down Rte. 11 in Virginia (twisty 25 mph roads) and I was in Winchester, Va. having the power-steering cooler installed (and badly-overheated fluid changed) as well - and that with less than 1,500 lbs. on the bumper! With the coolers (and Jet engine and transmission controllers, Volant CAI and CGS cat-back), I've been over 42,000 highway and backroad miles, with trailer, and have YET to use tow/haul again. Get all the cooling you can! (And make sure you keep the old intake and exhaust system, so you can return the car bone-stock to the dealer if you have warranty issues - I haven't, but who knows?)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Question...I have an '07 R/T. I planned on having a tow package installed. All I plan on pulling is an enclosed trailer with a motorcycle in it. Do I need any of these extra coolers that's been mentioned?

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think what BLUBYU means is to leave tranny in 4th and not overdrive as th R/T does not have the tow/haul button. I have a 4,000lb camper with brakes that I pull in overdrive on flat roads and move to 4th in traffic & hills and have had 0 problems.

Cheers

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a SLT and it has a different trans. I have a little button to push to turn off the overdrive. In previous vehicles, I have installed a switch myself to turn off the torque converter lock up!

If you do not have a transmission temperature gauge, I would not tow in overdrive. Sure, it works, but you have no idea how hot you are getting the trans? It will work just fine, right up til it blows up.

My buddy owns one of the largest trailer dealers in New Jersey and my nephew works there. You do not want to know how many people call up and complain they toasted their transmission. For a mile or two gas savings, I certainly do not want to take the chance.

My SLT did come with the factory towing package so I have the coolers. On other vehicles that I have used for towing, I always installed the coolers myself. I have been pulling boat, camping and car trailers for 25 years and have never blown up a transmission. Just offering my .02 here.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
OK I'm a newb, How can I be sure if i have all the coolers? Is it a VIN code or RPO type code i should look for?
See this thread post 3 & 5.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a quick question on the hitches. I have the tow package with my '09 R/T with the hide-a-hitch that came dealer installed. According to that chart, I can only tow the 5000lbs with a weight distributing hitch. Is that what I actually have? I'm sure yes, but I get confused with multiple names for the same thing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have an 07 R/T & it says max towing of 5,000lbs with Trailer Towing Package (transmission cooler & wiring harness on the back) not Distribution Hitch which is actually used to maintain correct ride height on the rear of vehicle. Hope that helps. I tow a 4,200lb camper in the summer all the time as well as a 2,300lb ATV/Sled trailer year with no issues. Cheers!:smileup:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Actuall I believe the weight distributin hitch is on the tow vehicle.. The manner in which it's installed and designed allows it to distribute weight forward to place some of the weight onto the front wheels ..Thus the neame .."Weight distribution hitch " .The leveler connection between the towed vehicle and the towing vehicle is for eaxtly that..

INMO ..when the trailer is loaded properly ?? There is zero need for any leveler.. I think there is way to much emphsis place on "What can I pull " and not enough on what can I safely stop.. Anyone towing in excess of 3000 with a Nitro needs trailer brakes..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trailer towing

Hi everybody I am new to this site. I have an 09 Nitro 4x4 3.7L with a towhaul button. I had a class three hitch put on with a 7 pin plug by the dealer, for towing. I read on here about tranny coolers and oil coolers and how much weight can be towed. How do I know if I have a tranny cooler, is that the little rad in front on the big rad which I do have. I want to tow a RV trailer that weighs 3600. According to the chart above, will I be okay with all I have and a weight distribution hitch? reason I ask is cause I bought the vehicle used and I am not sure if there is a tranny cooler or not?

Thanks Jay

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.