Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I notice the same thing, and I've already had that TSB applied. After driving a stick for so long it bugs the hell outta me.. "shift already, will ya!" Haven't had the time yet to bother the dealer about it though.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I'm curious about your transmission concerns. Typically a shudder is described as follows. It's is a vibration that is felt when shifting into third gear when you're accelerating at a moderate rate. You won't feel it when you're tromping hard on the gas. It feels and sounds like you're driving over small rubber strips for a few seconds. Typically the shudder occurs when the torque convertor is partially locked-up. Chrysler uses a system that electronically modulates the torque convertor. Chryslers transmissions also have an adaptive memory that will adjust shift points based on your type of driving ie. hard on the gas all the time, or out for leisurely cruise. It will adjust.

Secondly a bog would be a situation best described where there is throttle input but the vehicle exhibits no power response or lack of power.

All automakers strategy for transmission shifting and torque convertor application are very different. What's normal for one is not for the other.

Like I said, I'm curious if this is how the transmission is acting as I described or is it a matter of getting used to the transmissions normal operation.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My experience is this...when in a parking lot starting off it wants to stay in 1st gear too long. You have to pick up speed to get it to shift, even if you can coast along. The other situation is at about 42 mph under very little throttle . Feels like roughness , or as Larry said a shudder efect, in the want to shift mode. I hope I have confused all because at 1:30 tomorrow, the wife takes it to the shop for reprograming. I will have a report tomorrow night if the TSB work did the job. David

·
Registered
169 Posts
The rubber strips description is what I'm experiencing, but it seems to happen most often under very light throttle, only enough to maintain a cruising speed. If I get some time to experiment, I will be better able to come up with the exact conditions, but I believe the tach is under 1500 RPM at when this happens. I cannot say for sure yet if the shudder goes away on its own after a few seconds, or if I'm subconsciously helping it by applying just enough throttle to satisfy it.

How long does the transmission take to adapt to new driving scenarios? For example, the first part of my way to work is stop and go, and essentially racing to the next stoplight under hard acceleration. Then once on campus it's about a mile of 30-35 mph cruising with little to no throttle input and few stops. Most of the time, this is when I will notice the shuddering. Could it just be that the program has not yet adapted, and is still expecting me to accelerate as I had been?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Throttle Lurch

Our Nitro has a different throttle issue and we're wondering if other Nitro owners are feeling the same problem. There appears to be a flat spot when you first push on the accelerator pedal, then when it catches the car lurches forward. 'Gotta wonder if others have seen/felt this problem.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Burkey...

Not sure exactly what you're feeling with your Nitro.

I will say this though, Electronic throttle control does have lag in comparison to a cable operated throttle. Also from experience and many others have said this about Chrysler vehicles they tend to have a hair trigger throttle. Kinda contradicts what I just said. But, I do find the Nitro's throttle response good compared to when Dodge first came out with it on their Dodge Ram's.

Not sure if I convinced with this drive-by-wire but there's no getting away from it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Burkey,
Not to get too far off the topic, I dont think its the tranny.

I agree with Nitro larry. My nitro is very responsive and I'd guess there is an adjustment needed or a poor signal to the computer from the throttle sensor.
If it is a signal problem it may not trigger a fault code. your dealer can get to the bottom of this, im sure! Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Koncho,
My ride did this too, ( like driving over little rubber strips), and it did get the flash reprogramming by the dealer.

I seemed to go away but sometimes, just sometimes, it comes back.
I have a huntch it may be certain load and road conditions cause this. :confused:

We shal see!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Transmission shudder at 30 to 40 mph

Mine also does this mostly at 30 to 40 mph, Very dissapointing for a new 2007 suv. Other than that I love it. I didnt notice it for a few days after purchase, at first I thought maybe bad gas next tank full same thing. sometimes not as bad as others. Checked out websites and found that others had same problem. Dodge needs to have recall and fix this problem!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im not feeling Dissapointed about it. The vibration is so minor most don't even notice it. It's my opinion but I don't think its a Safety issue nor bad enough to cause other problems. (Sure hope Im right) Soon enough we'll know if the touque converter was the cause and it will be done with.
Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
got the nitro back with the new torque converter installed. It only took a day.
I shifting is better but still not like it was when it was new. I got mine and put 200 miles on it and then took a 600 mile trip on the highway. After that it started. I have 2200 miles on mine. I love the Nitro but that transmission is the worst. I am going to wait a few days, at least until after xmas to see what happens. Right now it does not rumble any more but feels like it wants to. A couple of times it feels like it is missing but I think it is the trans.
For me, the dealer has tried to fix the problem three times, so I guess I could ask for a new one. Guess I will wait and see but not for long. I will keep you all informed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.