Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read quite a bit about this issue and the answer is always the same:
shut it off for a bit or drive in reverse. Right now, I always have to stop, reverse and then go forward to get back into 2WD.
Im sorry, but I cant believe that this is normal operating parameters.
If I am on the thruway and have to engage the 4x4 its not a problem. However, eventually I hit a bare road or conditions change and it wont disengage. its not a good idea to pull over, go in reverse, then forward again on major highways. Someone please offer a repair option before I go crazy. lol
This happens in snow, ice, mud, literally everything except dry pavement of course. It should not be binding up on slick surfaces.
yesterday I was driving highway speeds in snow and I drove out of the storm onto wet pavement. In traffic.
cant safely stop.
not my favorite!
Any place to lube on the shifting mechanism or something?
Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum @WeaselTJ. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.
Usually you can get it to disengage if you let off the gas a little(while not turning). This relieves the pressure on the 4X4 switch and alows it to move/shift. The shift mechanism is lubed by the transfer case fluid. You may want to make sure it is full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum @WeaselTJ. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.
Usually you can get it to disengage if you let off the gas a little(while not turning). This relieves the pressure on the 4X4 switch and alows it to move/shift. The shift mechanism is lubed by the transfer case fluid. You may want to make sure it is full.
I wish it was that easy. I turn it off and can come to a complete stop and continue on without it disengaging. I have to go in reverse every single time to disengage.
Anyone else have this annoying problem?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
I just commented in this thread. Post 10. The last part is what I have found to work and why it usually won't work. 4wd

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
I just read your intro... A Manual trany (like mine) should make it a little easier, because you are not fighting the Auto trany pull.
A slight gas pedal manipulation should get it to switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my guess would be the electric solenoid which switches the 4x4 is sticking
Can it be removed, cleaned or lubed?
I am guessing the same. Clearly something is sticking. I have never seen a schematic or pics of the motor assembly so I don’t know what I’m up against.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
the transfer case shift motor is located at the rear of the transfer case to the left of the rear output shaft flange, never removed mine but looks easy to do, once removed you should be able to see if the mechanism is moving freely, by simply switching between 2WD and 4WD,

just be careful around the electrical harness, connectors , etc, causing a short circuit could be very BAD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts