Share your experience with your Automatic Transmission

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have transmission that has a shudder when I cruise at 42 to 45 mph with a light load.
It has this symptom but it is driveable. I am waiting for dodge to find a fix for their problems before I take it in.

Because of the amount of concerned Nitro owers on this issue, (I.E. Shifting Problems, Shudder and/or Bog), prompted me to conduct this pole.

Why? To find out how wide spread the problem really is...
I feel, that if there is a big problem with this tranny, We have more Clout as a group of complainants, than as indiviuals.
On the other hand, if these probems are found on a small number of vehicles and they are making progress to correct it, all the better!

If you own a Nitro SXT or SLT with the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, Choose whichever issue best reflects your experience, then submit your comments in the Reply field.
Thanks!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I just got my Nitro about a week and a half ago. I noticed that my Nitro shudders between 35-40 mph. It feels like a vibration. Sure hope they can fix that. I was hoping that this was just one of those things that need to be broken in. But from what I have been seeing it isn't.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hey boattech. I wish there was another choice on the poll. The dealer has tried with the TSB 18-037-06 fix and still a problem exists...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
8 Posts
have slt with auto. do have problems with unsure shifting at times. seems like the tranny doesn't know what to do especially between 1st and 2nd. reminds me of old day when you had a slipping torque converter. Are there any recalls or tsbs on this yet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dayley / Challenger,
Yor right, that would have been helpfull!
I didn't want the pole to be too specific, just transmission problems in general.
Let's give this pole a while and together we can brainstorm to gather more detailed Q's.
Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
have slt with auto. do have problems with unsure shifting at times. seems like the tranny doesn't know what to do especially between 1st and 2nd. reminds me of old day when you had a slipping torque converter. Are there any recalls or tsbs on this yet?
Did your SLT get TSB Number: 18-037-06
or any other trans related TSB's preformed by your dealer yet?

I had that issue, They "flashed" or reprogramed my trannys computer and it went away.
(It's a rather simple thing for the dealer to do.)
I must say, I thought the TSB would solve the 40-45 mph vibration/shudder, it's still there, and is an ongoing issue!
frank

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have a SLT that i have had for a week, terrible problem with surging, been back once all ready to dealer, not fixed

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get this!

It has come to my attention from NitroLarry, that he has had success with his repairs to the transmission bog, vibration and shifting issues!

:ura1: :pepper:

So read up on what he has to say and get it done with!
If he is right, he has my vote to be the next CEO of Chrysler! LOL!

Well, hats off to him and to Hell with this pole!

Nitro Owners.... Party-on! :beerchug:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't want to hijack the thread...but what is a TSB?
TSB means Technical Service Bulletin.
The are notices between a manufacturer and their dealers.
They usually address warranty, service updates for repairs and or parts related issues.
A TSB will have a date of issue and a referance code to help identify it for filing, future referance and updating.

Here we sometimes know of a TSB before some dealers do, so you may want to bring the TSB # to the mechanics attention if it applies to your problem.

Hope that's helpfull,
fRANK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nitro Larry......I have a New Nitro that has been at the dealership waiting for a new torque converter for over an week now and they cannot even get the part to fix it....what a shame...I loved everything about this SUV....if this is an ongoing issue I think I will just trade...any suggestions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Donna in Burlington

I have had my Nitro to the shop 3 times now and they have put a new torche converter in it. It still has the same problem!!! What else is there to do?
Donna in Burlington:confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
boattech, this is les, i have the problem you talk about been to dealer twice,
problem still there, they have a torgue converter ordered for it, hope it takes care of the problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Torque Converter Installed

Got the new torque converter installed and picked up the Nitro on Friday 1/19.....lets just say...so far so good...I have driven it about 80 to 100 miles so far and can tell it shifts better between first and second...no shuddering yet and I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best....will keep you posted should anything change....I plan on driving it to and from work all this week which is about 90 miles a day....that should give me a better idea on what it is going to do...Good luck to all!!!!:Racing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Everyone

Sherry here...I haven't been in the forum in a while, been away concerning a family emergency...but all is well now.

I got MyWhiteNitro back yesterday evening. To recap..I drove mine about.. not even 2 weeks and the transmission started acting up. After it was at the dealership for 4 1/2 weeks, I believe that the problem is...I hope...taken care of. The final solution was putting a new transmission and torque converter assembly in.

After doing the flash TSB 18-037-06 it still had problems shifting...there was still a shutter. They replaced the torche converter...still problems. They then performed a internal pressure test and found that the transmission was loosing pressure so they contacted Star and replaced the transmission.

I have to say that I can tell a big difference in the shifting. It sounds a little rough, but I didn't get the chance to drive it for long in the beginning...it only had 900 miles on it when I took it in. I feel a big difference in the overall power and shifting (no harsh shifting).

As far as the whistling noise...yeah I have that too....on the driver's side. They have replaced the outside mirror twice now and they also applied the RTV to the intake manifold which was the TSB 09-009-06. NO GO!
The whistle is still there. I guess I will live with it for a little bit and see what TSB's are coming out in the next couple of months because they cannot seem to locate the problem.

I hope you all find this information helpful.
Sherry

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks for the post all info is useful, when it is all put together gives folks a better picture of what is going on.Hope your problems are over.

·
Registered
60 Posts
we have had our Nitro for 2 wks now.only prob i have noticed is a shudder in reverse.really noticed it tonight when i had to back up a small incline coming out of a parking spot.was able to repeat this 3 times.

have to go to the dealer this weekend for a couple of other things and will talk to service manager.
will post after that.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
well the wife took it in today for the appointment i made on last sat.she droped it off before they opened and they called her by 9:30-10:00 and said what she was hearing was the torque converter just making noise and that everything was fine and normal.she said she wasnt hearing anything but could feel it.they still said everything was normal and we would have to take it up with the customer advisor at the dealership.she called me and i called them and asked if they did the TSB and they said they wernt aware of one.i said there was one and he looked it up and checked the build date (nov 10th) and sure enough they are going to do the TSB now.

i really dont like it when they tell my wife her prob isnt real and just in her head.

when i asked them if they tried to get it to do what i told them about reverse (shudder or sliping) they said no and that was normal for how new the vehicle is.

RANT over.

Mike

1 - 20 of 353 Posts