Transmission Leaks

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by 54roger, Dec 7, 2017.

1. 54roger

54roger New Member

Vehicle:
    07 Nitro 4x4 SLT 3.7 auto
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Black
    To make a long story short and get to the point, I was told by a tranny shop that my transmission was leaking from a couple of seals at the back end of the tranny and they informed me that it had to be removed to fix. I looked at the area in question and saw the leak but could not really see what seals were being referenced.
    I'm leaning towards trying some tranny seal/stop leak stuff but I also don't feel like crawling under the car to remove the pan to drain the tranny to make room for the stop leak stuff either. I just picture myself being covered in tranny oil.
    Any thoughts or ideas? It's not leaking bad, just leaving drops in the garage. I bought one of those after market what seems to be a 9' foot dip stick so I can check the level once in awhile. I'm glad I made this short!

2. Testeclops

Testeclops Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro SLT 3.7
    Color:
    Black
    If it is leaking form the rear of your transmission, your output shaft seal may have gone bad. This doesn't require the tranny to be pulled to replaced, but it should be done with someone with knowledge and training. Do not use stop leak in anything, it is a gimmick and only puts a bandaid on the problem. You will wind up doing the work down the road, likely at the most inconvenient time.

Scar0 likes this.
  3. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    I'll second Testeclops thoughts. I have never seen anything good come from using a "stop leaking" product.
    4x4 or 4x2 Nitro?
    4x4 see https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/how-to-replace-transfer-case-rear-output-seal.35575/

BTW; 54roger
    If you could please go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig, then it will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions. [​IMG]
    As you can see at the left of every post I make;
    This is what I drive:
    Vehicle: 07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

4. 54roger

54roger New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Black
    I have a 4x4 Nitro SLT. I checked my personal/details and it looks like the information is there, at least I'm seeing it. I've always been leery of the stop leak stuff also and have used it in older vehicles 60's-70's cooling system. I have never used any tranny stuff though so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the tips.

5. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    If it is the same seal as in the How-to, then there is no need to drop the trany or the transfer case. The transfer case also uses ATF+4 trany fluid. It is filled separately from the transmission. So your leak may have nothing to do with the trany at all.
    Sounds like the mechanic you took your Nitro to knows nothing about them. Or was hoping for a big payoff for a small job.
    Now if the gasket between the trany and transfer case is leaking, then yes, the transfer case would have to be dropped to replace it. Same for the gasket down the middle of the transfer case. But in either case the trany would remain where it is.

I've seen the inside of an engine that a stop leak product used in.
    Not good. Everything internally gets gummed up, ports get smaller, flow is restricted, and it is a royal pain to get cleaned out so you can properly rebuild / work on it. Then you cross your fingers you got it all out, in hopes your time and new parts were not wasted to another failure caused by it.

6. 54roger

54roger New Member

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Black
    I took it to a tranny shop, not any national brand if there is one, just one that has been around for awhile. But I tend to agree with you that the mechanic knows nothing or not much about the Nitro's. I've been wanting to get a second opinion but just have not got around to it yet. From what the guy showed me it seems to be more towards the rear of the tranny.
    Nothing that I really want to tackle anyway.

7. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    A little more info for you to take to the next shop.
    The 4x4 transfer case is bolted to the rear of the transmission. Coming out of the transfer case is the output shaft, which connects to the rear drive line(prop shaft)
    You can replace the output shaft seal with the transfer case still in the rig as you can see in the how-to.
    You can also drop the transfer case and replace the seal with it on a bench. But it is not required. More $ in labor...

I can remove my transfer case, in my driveway, in less then an hour. If a shop insists on removing the transfer case to repair the seal. They should be able to do it faster then I can using what I have on hand.
    They should have the proper jacks and what not to get it done fast.