Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, so I just bought a nice 2011 3.7 nitro heat 2wd with only 38k miles. It's been a fairly decent car but there are some things I am uneasy about. I feel like only those with experience can give me an idea on how to address the issues at the dealership. I have never owned a 4-speed or a dodge so I dont have any idea of what is normal and what isnt for this vehicle.

My issues with this vehicle are that when taking off the cycle through first gear to second there is this supercharger/whine noise that the dealer said is "just the transmission". The sound carries on into second gear for a bit but goes away. I'm not sure if this is a normal dodge thing, a normal nitro thing, or something actually wrong with it.

Another issue is the click/clack ticking that I believe is coming from the ac compressor. It is quite loud and only occurs when the compressor kicks on. I've also noticed significant voltage drop during this and a roaring/loss of power when it kicks on while driving. I have a feeling I have some bad pulleys and wanted to get some operator opinions.

Any thoughts or advice would be well appreciated.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
I have a manual trany which does whine a little. But that is apples and oranges...
The one time I drove a 3.7 auto, the trany was very quiet. A whine in the gear train is never good or right. It means metal wear...
I'd change the trany oil and filter and look for a lot of metal shavings in the fluid. As well as signs of burnt (discolored [brown]) fluid and a burnt smell.

#2 Sounds like a bad pulley or compressor going out.
Engine off. See you can move the pulley front to rear/side to side. It should not move.
Engine running. Watch the compressor pulley when it engages and disengages for wobbling.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be sure to keep that advice in mind. I told the dealer it didnt seem right. It feels like the gear is too short and it makes the vehicle feel like its dragging up to 15mph then when it shifts it's gone. It doesnt sound like a manual left in first, but more like a woo sound like rubbing your fingernails over the textured plastic on the interior when the ac is off. And more of a whine when it's on. It's quite the combination of noises.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Freebie to try. Since it was pre-owned the computers know the previous drivers driving habits. Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable for 10 minutes. This will set the trany in learn mode. Then drive it like you stole it for about a week.
This will make the shift points a little firmer and may help with the throttle response. Don't think it will help with the noises tho.

Keep us posted on what happens with the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Freebie to try. Since it was pre-owned the computers know the previous drivers driving habits. Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable for 10 minutes. This will set the trany in learn mode. Then drive it like you stole it for about a week.
This will make the shift points a little firmer and may help with the throttle response. Don't think it will help with the noises tho.

Keep us posted on what happens with the dealer.

I took it in to the dealer. I mentioned that I took a big wrench and listened to a few components along the drive belt and the AC was making the most noise. He checked it out and said "that's normal my truck makes the same noise" as he stood under the hood where you can't hear the click/clack that well. He refused to back up to hear it from the grill where it is projected the loudest.

We went for a drive around the block and listened to the transmission. He said "that's normal, it just the sound of the gears meshing, heard it in lots of chrysler transmissions. If it were a problem it would be heard in all gears." So no luck on it, but as I was leaving he said "if it gets louder let me know" why would it get louder if it's normal?

I also did the negative terminal disconnect and it seems to be driving a lot better. It doesnt hang on that noisy first gear as long.

I'm probably going the change the fluid and filter after payday. I just hate going to places like firestone and midas as they just scam and waste your time.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Take it to a different shop. Neither noise as you describe is "normal". Especially for a rig with only 38k miles.

Can you post a Vid of the noise/s? You will have to upload it to youtube, then link it here.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it to a different shop. Neither noise as you describe is "normal". Especially for a rig with only 38k miles.

Can you post a Vid of the noise/s? You will have to upload it to youtube, then link it here.

Took it to another dealership, they couldn't get it in for two days but suggested to check out power steering. I didn't realize these pumps could be so noisy. I will take it to my regular dealer with their recommendation a get a flush to see how it goes. Probably smack around the guys saying it's normal.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Flush of what?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i think the power steering would only make a noise if it was faulty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think the power steering would only make a noise if it was faulty.
If the fluid is dirty or blockage/air in the hose it can make noise. It's easier to start with a simple diagnosis to see if the problem goes away. If not then we can work on leaving my car in the shop for ages because they're slow. Hell its gonna take an entire day just for the flush.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it in to the shop finally. After 4 days they got back to me. One of the sun gears and its bearings were all worn out. The AC compressor was replaced. Should be a few more days pending parts to get the transmission either fixed or fully replaced depending on cost. Such sad failures for only 38k miles (now at 40k). Once they fix that up they will determine if the other sounds were resonance from the transmission into the driveshaft and crankshaft. Hopefully no more problems.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
WOW at 38k miles. Sounds like a defective part from the get go. That or it was run while low on trany fluid at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts