Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a transmission leak for a while now and would like to replace the gasket on the pan. Because of the leaking and adding oil here and there I'm unsure of how much fluid I should put back in.

So I guess my question is how much fluid is generally in the pan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is it an auto or manual box?

the Drivers manual will tell you how much oil, I think it also gives the volume of oil if changing the filter and pan from memory.

my 3.7 auto developed a hole in the pan due to rusting through. I had to change the sump pan, gasket and changed the filter at the same time. I remember it was a bit of a challenge as I needed to buy the proper dipstick as there wasn’t one already fitted. The dipstick scale was based on temperature so topping up to a certain level was possble cold, but to do it accurately required the system up to operating temp before final fill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 07 Nitro has a 42RLE tranny. When I did the transmission service on it, I found that I had to have the level almost perfect in order to get the temperature swings to go right. If pulling the pan to change the gasket, you might as well change the filter too. The two often come as a kit. A normal dump and fill is about 4 quarts. The 42RLE has no bands that need adjusting. My Nitro didn't come with a transmission dip stick. I had to obtain one. The dipstick I got came with charts for a few different chrysler transmissions. Maybe you'll get lucky there too. The oil it uses is ATF+4 and it thermal expands a lot. You really need an accurate temperature and look at a chart to get the level right. To get the temperature, I used Torque on my android phone with an ELM 327 bluetooth to OBD2 interface. In Torque, I downloaded the extra profiles for Jeep and that was able to get me a transmission temperature readout. Of note, the top shelf scan tool I bought at the auto parts store doesn't give me transmission temperature.

The book says normal operating temperature is 180 F. I've only ever hit 180 while accelerating and pulling a heavy trailer. Normal operating temperature for me is 174-176. After you get the 4 quarts in, drive it a bit to get the transmission up to operating temperature. Add or remove just a couple ounces at a time until you get the level where it needs to be according to the temperature/level chart.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The Chrysler dip stick for your 42RLE transmission is ref: 9336, if you check around on Amazon/eBay the following cross references should get you what you need:

Automatic Transmission Dipstick for Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge - APSG Dealer Tool to check auto trans fluid oil level - Cross Ref: 8863B, 9336, 9336A, 917-327 42RLE, NAG1, 45RFE, 62TE

·
Registered
550 Posts
It’s a reasonable idea as would be a temperature probe, but it’s at best indicative not exact, I do measurements like this in my job as an energy engineer. The emissivity of the sump pan material will diminish the accuracy of readings taken this way, or in other words your measuring the heat radiated from the sump not the fluid.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thickness of oil pan is about 1 mm or less, and temperature between transmission oil and pan is practically the same ,(not theoretically).
Infrared thermometer measure very well in black mat surfaces , like oil pan,so,
the reading I think has a very very small error, with no response to transmission
oil level by my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts