DATE: November 21, 2006
SUBJECT: FLASH: Vehicle Surge, Grumble/Drone During Torque Convertor Lockup And/Or 1-2 Part Throttle Shift Quality
This bulletin involves reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
2007 (KA) Nitro
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle built with a 3.7L engine (sales code EKG) on or prior to November 17, 2006 (MDH 1117XX).
The vehicle operator may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
• Shift quality, repeatable bump during 1-2 part throttle upshift
• Surge between 60 and 80 kph (38 and 50 mph) push/pull sensation under light throttle
• Drone or driveline grumble between 60 and 80 kph (38 and 50 mph) under light throttle
Using a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTC's are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin. If the vehicle operator describes the Symptom/Condition above perform the Repair Procedure.
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04275086AB Label, Authorized Modification 18-037-06 -2
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH9401 StarSCAN® Tool
CH9404 StarSCAN® Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCAN® Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCAN® Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCAN® Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent
REPAIR PROCEDURE -USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
NOTE: When performing this Repair Procedure, the software release level in the StarSCAN®; must be programmed with 7.02 SP1 level software or higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of the
NOTE: The StarSCAN® diagnostic scan tool fully supports Internet connectivity. However, to take advantage of this feature you must first configure the StarSCAN® for your dealership's network. Make sure the StarSCAN® is configured to the dealership's network before proceeding. For instruction on setting up your StarSCAN® for the dealer's network refer to either: “DealerCONNECT > Service > StarSCAN and StarMOBILE tools > Online Documentation”, or refer to the StarSCAN® Quick Start Networking Guide.
The StarSCAN® Quick Start Networking Guide is also available on the
website under the "Download Center".
NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash should be restarted.
1. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery when the flash process is complete.
2. Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN® ethernet cable to the StarSCAN® and the dealer's network drop.
3. Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN® vehicle cable to the StarSCAN® and the vehicle.
4. Power ON the StarSCAN®. 3- 18-037-06
5. Retrieve the old PCM part number. Using the StarSCAN® at the “Home” screen:
a. Select “ECU View”
b. Touch the screen to highlight the PCM in the list of modules.
c. Select “More Options”
d. Select “ECU Flash”
e. Record the part number at the top of the “Flash PCM” screen for later reference.
f. Select “Browse for New File”. Follow the on screen instructions.
g. Select “Download to Scantool”.
h. Select “Close” after the download is complete, then select “Back”.
i. Highlight the listed calibration.
j. Select “Update Controller”. Follow on screen instructions.
k. When the update is complete, select “OK”.
l. Verify the part number at the top of the “Flash PCM” screen has updated to the new part number.
NOTE: Due to the PCM programming procedure, a DTC may be set in other modules (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKREEM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped. Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. From the “Home” screen select
“System View”. Then select “All DTCs”. Press “Clear All Stored DTCs” if
there are any DTCs shown on the list.
NOTE: The following step is required by law when reprogramming a PCM and/or TCM.
6. Type the necessary information on the “Authorized Modification Label” p/n
04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL
1 -POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 -CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XXX-XX
3 -DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 -DATE: XX-XX-XX
1. Go to Miscellaneous Functions menu of the StarSCAN® and perform the
Transmission Quick Learn Procedure.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
18-19-06-33 Flash PCM (B) 0.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: ZZ Service Action