Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i turned my truck on this morning and i had no turn signals or was able to turn my headlights on or off,as well as the wipers. does anyone know what could be causing this.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Hi, possible cause is, one of your multifunction switches is faulty,
you could try a vehicle computer reset: disconnect NEGATIVE battery terminal for 10 minutes then reconnect.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Hello and welcome Dawn21, :wave: to the Nitro “Z” family!
Your lights and wipers on and you can not turn on/off is a failsafe feature.
This indicates a problem with the control stalk and/or computer communications.
Here are a couple compiled excerpts from the SM.
Service Manual said:
Exterior Lamp Fail-Safe Operation - The Instrument Cluster and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM[computerized fuse box]) provide a failsafe feature which will automatically turn ON the low beam headlamps and all park lamps when the ignition switch is in the ON position and there is no detected input from the Steering Control Module, or when there is no communication over the Local Interface Network (LIN) or Controller Area Network (CAN) data buses.
Service Manual said:
If the SCM detects no inputs from the right multi-function switch, it transmits an electronic Signal Not Available status message over the LIN data bus. The SNA status signals the Instrument Cluster to request other electronic modules to implement a fail-safe mode of operation for the front and rear wiper systems. The failsafe mode will maintain the last selected front and rear wiper system operation for the remainder of the current ignition cycle, after which both wiper systems will default to OFF.
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas. :smileup:
Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your User CP and fill in the details (Vehicle: ) info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions. :thk:
As you can see in the upper right of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
the multifunction switch's are the cheapest and most likely cause of your problem, However there are several other things that it could be: clockspring, steering control module or TIPM.
you could have your Nitro checked for fault codes.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Sorry ScarO was typing at the same time as you.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you so much for the info and the lovely welcome we are trying the disconnect battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news we took the battery cables off waited 10 minutes and its all good now but i will tkae the nitro in and get it checked thank you soooo much for all your help guys

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you said cables ONLY THE NEGATIVE very important,
however well done.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Glad it is working again. Here is a little more info for the future.

Always disconnect Neg (-) first then Pos (+), reconnect Pos (+) then Neg (-)!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.

If you do it backward, you can fry the TIPM, as another member here learned the hard way...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats funny my husband said just that so if it happens again we will only take the negative off thanks again for all the help again very much appreciated

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Your welcome.
I see you are in Maple Ridge. Beautiful country around there.
I used to live in Bellingham and ran delivery trucks into BC daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the welcome and all the help and yes i live in Maple Ridge and yes its a very beautiful area

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome from the UK glad you got it sorted :wavey::Racing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome - thanks, this worked on my 2010 Ram. So strange I was driving back from Flagstaff, AZ and just went to turn High Beams on and they didn't work and wipers went on. Tried to get over, no turn signals. Someone else mentioned a bad harness, didn't want to take apart dash. Glad I found this post and tried it first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you! I disconnected the negative cable on the battery and it worked! Wipers stopped and my signals worked again! So happy to have discovered this forum!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts