Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:i_rolleyes:
I am thinking that I should have added this option but decided I would get some feedback first to see if it is worth adding if I can. What do you have to do to add this feature. It seems my Nitro is ready but not sure what I would have to do and is it worth the money? Is the Dodge the only one who can activate? Any info would be greatly appreciated.:wave:

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
I am in the same shoes as you - i wish i had gotten it. The dealer-added UConnect is available but IS NOT the same as the factory uconnect, it is not as integrated and that makes me sad. I think I can rig up a FACTORY INSTALL Uconnect - however I just dnot have the funds to try right now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Care to elaborate on that, Will? Do you have a source for the parts? Know what parts are needed? Is it something we can do ourselves?

Another option is the new TomTom GO series of nav units. THey have Bluetooth calling & Ipod control integrated, & get pretty good reviews.

Thx

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm getting conflicting information about whether you can add "real" (factory-type) UConnect after delivery. My dealership said there shouldn't be any problem, but I've read elsewhere that Dodge considers it a "factory install only" option.

Pretty annoying. I wanted it from the outset, but it wasn't available on the few in-stock 4x4 RTs that I could find.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Care to elaborate on that, Will? Do you have a source for the parts? Know what parts are needed? Is it something we can do ourselves?

Another option is the new TomTom GO series of nav units. THey have Bluetooth calling & Ipod control integrated, & get pretty good reviews.

Thx
People have successfully added the factory U-connect. All that is needed, is a
1. Plug n play harness
Mirror harness,
3. Dimming mirror
4. Telematics Module (aka Hands Free Module).

I just got off the phone with "Joe" from Metra Car Kits, he said they're working on a wiring harness for our Nitro's, and it won't be ready for another "couple months" He said all the dealers have been calling from all over, because customers are requesting Uconnect for their Nitros. But if anyone here has electrical skills/knowledge, then a harness can be made. Metra made a Plug N Play harness for the folks who own 300c's, Magnums and Chargers without the factory Uconnect system. There is hope!!

I also told him about our interests here at the forumz in Metra car kits, and to come on over and become a Supporting Vendor!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hear you guys & am getting the same info from my dealer. The price I'm being quoted is around $300.

I'm starting to think it might be a better deal to sit this bad boy in that little cubby hole on top of the dash. $400.

Nav system with voice directions, 12 gig of MP3 storage, Bluetooth phone & text messaging (?!). Hook it up thru the AUX on the existing stereo. Looks like it could be pretty seamless & for $100 more, a lot more features.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe the $300 is for the Mopar Uconnect. But the parts guy told me it used the buttons in the stereo (as opposed to having it's own separate buttons).
I was under the impression that the Nitro had Uconnect already so I never saw how much the factory unit cost.

So how do you like your Garmin C550? That is another unit I've looked at but can't find many reviews on it. Hows the Bluetooth work? Or the MP3 playback over your stereo?
It looks like people either absolutely LOVE the TT910 or hate it with a passion. Plus I see hacks to make it do DVD playback, sub celebrity voices for the directions, etc.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Those are nice options to have indeed! The c550 is a great unit, the antenna could be a lil stronger under bridges, but for the most part I like it. As far as what the dealer told you about the Mopar Uconnect being able to be controlled through the radio, that's BS. I had the Mopar unit for my Caliber, and the only integration it had, was the ability for sound to come through the car speakers. I had to ask the installer specifically to make that happen as well (had to splice wires), because the Mopar unit has it's own speaker.

Pics of my Caliber...I did have a pic of the Uconnect unit from Mopar, will post later. BTW, still have the wheels, (FS):D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for the input, Billy.
BTW, what phone & cell service do you use? Is it on the list of compatible phones with the 550?
I ask because my LG vx8300 with Verizon is not on their list.

Sorry for the threadjack, Nitrogal. Hope you see this conversation as a possible alternative to the Uconnect.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks for the input, Billy.
BTW, what phone & cell service do you use? Is it on the list of compatible phones with the 550?
I ask because my LG vx8300 with Verizon is not on their list.

Sorry for the threadjack, Nitrogal. Hope you see this conversation as a possible alternative to the Uconnect.
No problem AJ, I use Sprint. However, I don't go by the compatibility list. Just make sure the phone you're using has at least BT 1.2 or ultimately 2.0.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I had my dealer add U-Connect for me when I bought my R/T. All it involved was a interface (under the dash) to existing wiring and the remote microphone which is mounted on the drivers sunvisor mounting plate(plastic). It can hardly be seen. Cost was $250 w/ the car....
Oh, and yes it was worth it!! Love it!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had my dealer add U-Connect for me when I bought my R/T. All it involved was a interface (under the dash) to existing wiring and the remote microphone which is mounted on the drivers sunvisor mounting plate(plastic). It can hardly be seen. Cost was $250 w/ the car....
Oh, and yes it was worth it!! Love it!!
So with that set-up, are you able to control it with the stereo buttons and have info displayed on the EVIC, or do you have a separate control pad mounted somewhere on the dash?

·
Registered
601 Posts
So with that set-up, are you able to control it with the stereo buttons and have info displayed on the EVIC, or do you have a separate control pad mounted somewhere on the dash?
NO, you cannot control anything on the radio with this setup. It is an independent system, and will not connect to anything radio wise. You can however set it up in a way that when a call comes in while music is playing, it will mute the music until the call is completed. Other than that, nothing else can be done.:Racing:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
NitroBilly,
Sorry to correct you but...
You can controll everything using the radio or steering controls. I do it all day long with mine. I use voice to dial, turn up the volume with the radio and all the sound comes out of the speakers. Works like a champ!!
Hope that helps with the decision! Go for it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.