Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,709 Posts
All the REQ radios have the UConnect buttons - it makes it cheaper to make one radio instead of two different ones. You need more then just the mirror to get UConnect working like factory and it hasnt been done aftermarket yet..Theres a post on here you can check out regarding this.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
REQ is the 6-disc DVD MP3 radio. It's the 1st new generation radio that Chrysler is starting to put on vehicles. It can do satellite radio and has an auxiliary button for plugging in your mp3 player/IPOD. A significant improvement to the older generation radios. I'm not sure if the MyGig radio is the same radio only w/ a 20gb hard drive. Probably not.

I have an REQ radio but I did not order UCONNECT. When I press the UCONNECT buttons, it says 'UCONNECT NOT AVAILABLE'. MY coworker has it and he loves it. You will have to set it up to make it work with your bluetooth phone. If your cell phone has voice command capability, you can use the voice activation feature on the radio. The microphone is in the rear-view mirror I think.

·
Registered
169 Posts
so they wont have to make two of each radio
They're already doing that with the Sirius radios. It's the same 'model' radio as the non-Sirius radio with different buttons and functionality. In that case though I'm sure the deal they have worked out with Sirius covers the additional expense. It's still odd that some features warrant a radio with differently marked buttons, while others don't. Especially considering that any supported aftermarket equipment cannot make use of the additional buttons in any way.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,709 Posts
Sirius pays money to get their radio chips built into cars - so in turn people pay for subscriptions years and years down the road. Thats even a good example, because then instead of two radios theyd have to make FOUR: radio no sirus no uconnect, no sirius w/ uconnect, sirius no uconnect, no sirius, uconnect ..a lot more expensive then making just one or two!

·
Registered
788 Posts
You would think some PR guy would imagine a lot of really pissed off customers when they bought cars with buttons in place for features that don't work.

Like 2wd trucks with 4x4 logos. Or power door lock buttons in cars with no power door locks.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,709 Posts
not really..its marketing101 - thats when they say - well sure! You can get the aftermarket kit for $___ and they will work! Although it wont be the same as factory - they will then work - but as soon as I can get the funds up - I am going to try and get a factory uconnect install in my nitro and post a guide..but it aint cheap!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to my dealership today and talked about the UConnect for my Nitro. He told me that the one available is not the one that's in the mirror but one that has to be installed in the dashboard somewhere and it takes about 90 minutes to do it. The cost is around $400 with labor. I'm really thinking about adding it but it does seem silly to have duplicate buttons showing up in your cabin. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Ciao.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,709 Posts
Yes you can get it aftermarket but its not as integrated into the vehicle. However your vehicle doesnt have EVIC so it might not be that big of difference. Although $400 seems reall steep as you can piece together the OEM parts for around that assuming theyll work like I think they will.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was around $250 (the discount price from the Dodge catalog) plus $90 give or take for installation. I figure that since I was the first person to purchase a Nitro that I might as well be the first one to get the UConnect too. I get the quote sheet from the parts department each time I go in to the dealership.

In almost 4 months I've only seen one other Nitro on the road and another at the dealership yesterday with a VA plate on it. By the time I get done accessorizing (I don't know if that is a real word) I should have about $1800 dollars into my buggy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was at the dealer this morning. They said the Uconnect module will work with any of the radios that have the Uconnect buttons on them. Their expecting the module to be released before too long but didn't have a date. Cost is expected to be around $375 - $400.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was at the dealer this morning. They said the Uconnect module will work with any of the radios that have the Uconnect buttons on them. Their expecting the module to be released before too long but didn't have a date. Cost is expected to be around $375 - $400.
I hope that you're right about that because I cannot envision cutting a hole in my dash just to have the same thing installed that you'd thought would have been included.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Well the wife dropped off the SXT at the dealer today. My dash piece that covers the air bag was a bit of an eyesore, they ordered me a new one from Detroit and are replacing it today.

Uconnect came up in the conversation. My window sticker said it had the radio with Uconnect and the salesperson used the Uconnect as quite a little selling tool for the car, lol.

First thing the service manager did was run the VIN # and he said, "the computer shows that Uconnect isn't even available with this car". (SXT with single disc CD and AUX input). Luckily my salesperson came in and said, "well I saw it on the sticker myself and told the customer (me) that it came with the car".

By the time she left the service manager said they would look into and since the salesperson even said something, we have a leg to stand on. She told the service manager that she didn't care if the salesman had to pay for the aftermarket module himself, but we were getting our Uconnect.

Service manager didn't think that was too bad of an idea. We'll see what they say when I pick up the car tonight.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.