Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here with a complaint. To some people what I'm about to describe may be minor or even trivial but it just flat out pi$$es me off. In January I got an SLT model (Inferno Red) somewhat loaded. I wanted one with the factory running boards ($395 option) and the dealership that I was working with located one with the running boards and all of the other equipment I wanted. So far so good! Literally the day after I picked it up I had to make an appointment with the service department to get the front passenger seat fixed. It needed the inboard side hinge replaced because the one that came on it was broken and wouldn't allow that side of the seat to lock in. In my mind that was a safety issue. It took 6 weeks to get the part in because they weren't available from Dodge yet. To me, that's unacceptable. Now leads me to my current situation. The running boards that I wanted and got, are the cheapest most worthless pieces of crap that I have ever seen. I got the running boards on there because I fully intended to use them for what they are designed for, I didn't just get them for decoration. Anyway, after only 2 months of use the boards are bending in the middle and look like crap. I'm not a huge guy but I'm not small either. I weigh 235 lbs and I bent them. I called the Dodge customer service number and they told me that I had to take it up with the dealer that I purchased it from. Ok, so I take it to them and they look at it. They agree that the boards are bent and that something needs to be done. I don't want the boards replaced with the same ones because they just going to bend again. So I told the service and parts manager that I wanted to go with the tubular style with the step pads which are a genuine Dodge accessory. They told me that they would have to contact the regional Dodge rep and explain the situation to him and see what Dodge is willing to do. This is where I get pi$$ed off. Keeping in mind that I paid $395 plus tax for the pieces of crap I have, Dodge is only willing to give me $211.12 toward replacing them with the ones I want. That means that I have to pay the difference they won't make up ($395-211.22=$183.88) in addition to the difference of the cost of the new tubular steps. What makes me even more upset is that not only are they offering me only $211, but they will be keeping the boards they take off, the ones that I paid $395 for. These guys must be smoking crack if they think I would go for that. That's over another $300 out of my pocket. I don't think so. In my mind they should be crediting me $395 plus tax toward the purchase of the new ones, especially since they are keeping them. To say that I'm upset would be a huge understatement. This isn't over, I have a feeling it's going to get ugly. :mad:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome Bowhunter4Life. Tell your dealer you have changed your mind, that you want them replaced with the exact same running boards that were on it when you bought it. Once you get that done, go home without stepping on them, remove them, sell them on eBay. Order the step rails that you want and install them yourself. Take your dealer out of the loop for your upgrade. Your dealership is not going to do anything that looks like an upgrade without charging you labor. However, they should warranty the original part and replace it for free.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow-up

Long story short, I got my situation resolved. After lots of phone calls and bitching I will be picking up my new tubular steps today and it will on be costing me $31.50 total. Big Dodge upped their amount covered to $285 and the dealership is making up the rest. I took the factory running boards off last night which took all of about 15 minutes. Word of warning to anyone thinking about getting a set of these boards, DON'T. These are the cheapest built boards I have ever seen, it's no wonder they sag and bend. I'd give maybe $50 for them but never the $395 that Dodge wants as an option.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad I'm not the only unhappy one...

Hello There!
I am glad to hear I am not the only unhappy one. I just bought my Nitro in February and it is already in the shop. Been there twice so far, but I am not convinced this will solve the problem. I have the problem that I have seen several other people on this site have. Sitting at a stoplight and it just turns off. The first time it took one day and they gave it back, I made it about 500 feet before it turned itself off. They have had it for 4 days now, and I have been told it will be fixed in several days to several weeks. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas?

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New guy here with a complaint. To some people what I'm about to describe may be minor or even trivial but it just flat out pi$$es me off. In January I got an SLT model (Inferno Red) somewhat loaded. I wanted one with the factory running boards ($395 option) and the dealership that I was working with located one with the running boards and all of the other equipment I wanted. So far so good! Literally the day after I picked it up I had to make an appointment with the service department to get the front passenger seat fixed. It needed the inboard side hinge replaced because the one that came on it was broken and wouldn't allow that side of the seat to lock in. In my mind that was a safety issue. It took 6 weeks to get the part in because they weren't available from Dodge yet. To me, that's unacceptable. Now leads me to my current situation. The running boards that I wanted and got, are the cheapest most worthless pieces of crap that I have ever seen. I got the running boards on there because I fully intended to use them for what they are designed for, I didn't just get them for decoration. Anyway, after only 2 months of use the boards are bending in the middle and look like crap. I'm not a huge guy but I'm not small either. I weigh 235 lbs and I bent them. I called the Dodge customer service number and they told me that I had to take it up with the dealer that I purchased it from. Ok, so I take it to them and they look at it. They agree that the boards are bent and that something needs to be done. I don't want the boards replaced with the same ones because they just going to bend again. So I told the service and parts manager that I wanted to go with the tubular style with the step pads which are a genuine Dodge accessory. They told me that they would have to contact the regional Dodge rep and explain the situation to him and see what Dodge is willing to do. This is where I get pi$$ed off. Keeping in mind that I paid $395 plus tax for the pieces of crap I have, Dodge is only willing to give me $211.12 toward replacing them with the ones I want. That means that I have to pay the difference they won't make up ($395-211.22=$183.88) in addition to the difference of the cost of the new tubular steps. What makes me even more upset is that not only are they offering me only $211, but they will be keeping the boards they take off, the ones that I paid $395 for. These guys must be smoking crack if they think I would go for that. That's over another $300 out of my pocket. I don't think so. In my mind they should be crediting me $395 plus tax toward the purchase of the new ones, especially since they are keeping them. To say that I'm upset would be a huge understatement. This isn't over, I have a feeling it's going to get ugly. :mad:
Well if it helps... I know it really doesn't... but you're not alone. There have been several people upset with Dodge. I think people can understand new model "bugs"... but people also expect good parts and good customer service. The only thing I can figure is Dodge has such a small profit margin on their products to keep them priced low, that they try to get some back by somewhat cut rate service, pretty weak customer service and poor warranty exchanges like you've mentioned. Now I know some of the guys in here love their Dealers so it may well be a dealership by dealership problem. Still Dodge really needs to step up to the plate once they're brought into it regardless of the dealer. I had a problem with the Dodge 1-800 people and their online customer service. They weren't knowledgeable of their products and rude if you pressed them on anything. Not willing to give you to a supervisor either.

All that bad stuff said the NITRO itself is a bangin' ride. If you can ever get past the way you're being treated and get everything straight. You'll really like the vehicle itself. We're pulling for ya!!!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Closure!

Well, my running board issue is now over. This afternoon I drove to the dealership and my new step bars were installed. Much much better looking and sturdier. Those plastic factory running boards are unbelieveably cheap. My main issue this whole time has been with Dodge itself, not the dealership. As a matter of fact the managers of the service department and parts department have been awesome. I really do like this vehicle. Now with this running board situation behind me, it's time for performance mods. :FIREdevil:

·
Registered
920 Posts
glad you gave 'em hell as they deserved it.on monday i'm having a pair of tubular step bars installed by a very reputable shop near by, 269.oo installed.i plan on being patient with aftermarket add ons (more companies equal more competition equal better prices)and take the time on the ride.hard to believe that i purchased this vehicle in dec. '06 and it still draw lots of stares and comments (what is that ?).

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Talk about digging up an old thread... This was started in 03 of 2007.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
How did you remove the running boards? Looking at a Nitro with previously installed running boards and I'm not a fan.
Snowchick...Not sure how much snow you get down and around Baltimore,MD. You may want to hold off removing the running boards for the winter. They do stop a lot of the road crap and snow from spraying up the side of your Nitro.
If they have to go! It is a very easy job and could easily be done in next to no time.
:smileup:

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
As for this being an old thread! Can you see the amount of Banned members here...
The Lunitic is talking and answering it's self! :rep:

:shakehead:

·
Registered
841 Posts
How did you remove the running boards? Looking at a Nitro with previously installed running boards and I'm not a fan.
I'm not sure how to remove them, but if you Google it, you can probably find the instructions for installing them, hence you'll have the instructions for de-installing them too. Your other option if you're buying from a dealer is to tell them to take them off free of charge.

Btw, welcome to the forum. Let us know if you buy it.

Update: I just found installation instructions for the Mopar running boards here:
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1003&SubGroupId=3149&GroupId=2033&pc=69757

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.