Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this option in their Nitro? Was anyone able to get it working with a Genie Intellicode door opener? I tried both programming options listed in the manual to no avail.

Thanks for any info.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Continuous tumbling codes. I have tried this on my last three vehicles, Jeep, wife's Chevy, and now Nissan. I have never been able to get them to work. Supposedly you actually have to do two things, one of which envolves pushing the correct button on the garage door motor controller mounted to the ceiling. The other is the learn button in the vehicle. If you have your Genie installation manual you have hope. I misplaced mine years ago. Good luck. If you do get it to work, please let me know.

· Registered
788 Posts
Took me a couple of tries but I got it working. Then the 2nd time it was a snap.
We have 2 Craftsman garage door openers with the rolling codes. You have to follow the first procedure in the manual, and then follow it with the 2nd procedure.
I'll look around for the manual online & see if I can cut & paste those procedures.
But they do work.

· Registered
35 Posts
Funny that you posted this today. I was sitting in the driveway today messing with this and thought it was a cool feature.
We have lived in the house for over 2 years now and never even used our garage! Silly, I know.

So I was messing with the buttons and learned it has the rolling codes and I dont have the manual anywhere to be found. I just decided to go with the remote from the opener which is fine.

The dilemma im facing now is the how far to pull in and getting used to pulling out at night and such. I might have to use the tennis ball on a string trick. :D

· Registered
788 Posts
This procedure worked for my Craftsman openers with the rolling codes. Took me a couple of tries...... but less than one beer. ;)

1. Turn off the engine.
2. Erase the factory test codes by pressing the two outside buttons. Release the buttons when the light in the Universal Transceiver begins to flash (about 20 seconds).
NOTE: Do not repeat Step 2 to program additional hand held transmitters.
3. Choose one of the three Universal Transceiver buttons to program. Place the hand held controller one to three inches from the Universal Transceiver while keeping its indicator light in view.
4. Using both hands, press the hand held transmitter button and the desired Universal Transceiver button. Do not release the buttons until step 5 has been completed.
5. The indicator light in the Universal Transceiver will begin to flash, first slowly and then rapidly. The rapid
flashing indicates successful programming. If after 90 seconds the indicator light does not flash rapidly or goes out, return to step 1 and repeat the procedure. To train the other buttons, repeat steps 3 and 4. Be sure to keep your hand held transmitters in case you need to retrain the Universal Transceiver.
NOTE: If you do not successfully program the Universal Transceiver to learn the signal of your hand held
transmitter, refer to the Rolling Code Paragraph, or call toll free for customer assistance at 1–800–355–3515, or on the internet at www.homelink.com.

“Rolling Code” Programming
NOTE: If your hand held transmitter appears to program the Universal Transceiver, but your garage door or
other device does not operate, and your device was manufactured after 1996, your garage door opener or
other device may have a “Rolling Code” system.
On garage door openers with the “Rolling Code” feature, the transmitter code changes after each use to prevent the copying of your code.
To check if your device is protected by a “Rolling Code” system:
• Check the owner’s manual for the device for mention of “Rolling Codes”.
• Press and hold the programmed button on the Universal Transceiver. If the Universal Transceiver indicator
light flashes rapidly and then stays on after 2 seconds, the device has the “Rolling Code” feature.
To train a garage door opener (or other rolling code equipped devices) with the rolling code feature, follow
these instructions after completing the Programming portion of this text:
NOTE: The assistance of a second person may make the following programming procedure quicker and easier.
1. Locate the training button on the garage door motor head unit. The exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener manufacturer. If you have difficulty in locating the training button, check your garage door opener manual, or call 1-800-355-3515 or, on the Internet, at www.homelink.com.
2. Press and hold the training button on the garage door opener head unit. This will activate the “training” light.
NOTE: After completing step 2, you have 30 seconds to start step 3.
3. Return to the Universal Transceiver in the vehicle and firmly press and release the garage door button. Press and release the button a second time to complete the training process. Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time to complete the training.
Your garage door opener should now recognize your Universal Transceiver. The remaining two buttons may
now be programmed if this has not previously been done. Refer to the Programming instructions. You may
use either your Universal Transceiver or your original hand-held transmitter to open you garage door.

· Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for posting that from the manual, but I meant the garage door opener manual and I couldnt see a button on my Intellicode Genie.

I appreciate the help though and maybe if I decide to give it another go, Ill have a 6 pack handy this time! :pepper:

· Registered
136 Posts
CNasty, if your Genie is anything like mine, there is an opaque plastic piece covering the side with the two bulbs. There are two screws on top holding the piece on. Take those screws out, and the plastic cover will fold down. On the top left side there is a small button and an LED under it (or on top of it, I can't remember). Push that buttom, and the garage door opener will go into "learn mode". With my Nitro, I had to program the button on the visor first, then put my garage door opener into "learn mode", and hit the button on the Nitro again. Once I did both of those steps, it was fine, and I can now open/close my garage with the Nitro. Hope this helps.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all. After a good nights sleep I was more successful at getting it programmed. I guess I wasn't reading the Dodge instructions properly. When I followed the 'Rolling Code' instructions I assumed I should have been started from an erased mode on the universal remote. This is not the case. I should have followed the first set of instructions to program the remote, then following the rolling code instructions to program, well, the rolling code.
:rtfm:

It is working. Only thing I noticed was about a second delay before the door opens, which the original remote doesn't have. I might try redoing the universal remote, as I may have delayed when pressing the buttons at the same time.

BTW. My garage door 'learn' button was located just to the left of the light bulbs on the door opener box, if this helps anyone. (EDIT: Doh! I guess marauder already beat me to that above..)

PS. Don't HOLD the learn button in for longer than 2 seconds, just press it once. On mine, holding the button in causes it to erase it's memory of all remotes. There's nothing like trying to reprogram 5 remote controls at 6.30 in the morning in 20 degree weather. :eek:

· Registered
136 Posts
reehmicks, don't sweat it! We are all just trying throw info out there to help solve the problem!

My opener is the same way when you hold it down. Mine erases all codes after being held down for about 10 seconds. The LED should blink about 4 times after hitting it once. That's to notify that it is in learn mode. Most openers have about a 30 second window once they are in learn mode, so you gotta be quick!

BTW. My garage door 'learn' button was located just to the left of the light bulbs on the door opener box, if this helps anyone. (EDIT: Doh! I guess marauder already beat me to that above..)

PS. Don't HOLD the learn button in for longer than 2 seconds, just press it once. On mine, holding the button in causes it to erase it's memory of all remotes. There's nothing like trying to reprogram 5 remote controls at 6.30 in the morning in 20 degree weather. :eek:

· Registered
17 Posts
finally

I was waiting for someone else to say they couldnt get it done the first time. When get the nitro back from the shop today I will try to finally get mine programmed. I hope my new 2way mopar remote system works (getting this installed today also). Also I had a tire blowout after 1500 miles, musta hit something thick and sharp because there was a 3 inch gash on the bottom of the tire, with all the snow in illinois though, who knows?? Any way theres an extraa $270 down the drain. At least my dodge roadside assistance came in handy.

· Registered
35 Posts
Awesome post Marauder! :appl:

I am at work right now but may give it another try tomorrow when I have some free time. I dont mind the remote being clipped on the visor, but might as well make the most of all the great bells and whistles the Nitro offers!

· Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. If it doesn't work the first time, don't get discouraged. It took me a couple trys to get it linked with my garage door.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I bought it. It was the little things like the integrated garage door opener that I liked about the Nitro. I'd rather have more things integrated and less stuff hanging off the dash, visors, etc. It just gives a cleaner look.

Awesome post Marauder! :appl:

I am at work right now but may give it another try tomorrow when I have some free time. I dont mind the remote being clipped on the visor, but might as well make the most of all the great bells and whistles the Nitro offers!

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Funny that you posted this today. I was sitting in the driveway today messing with this and thought it was a cool feature.
We have lived in the house for over 2 years now and never even used our garage! Silly, I know.

So I was messing with the buttons and learned it has the rolling codes and I dont have the manual anywhere to be found. I just decided to go with the remote from the opener which is fine.

The dilemma im facing now is the how far to pull in and getting used to pulling out at night and such. I might have to use the tennis ball on a string trick. :D
I'm telling ya the tennis ball on a string isn't a bad idea. Saves a lot of bumps. I have an Oakland Raiders football pennant hanging from my garage ceiling. I just pull in and when the point of the pennant hits the windshield... I'm in!
And besides... what else am I going to use a Raiders pennant for the way they played this year... LoL! :mad:

· Registered
1,314 Posts
When we first got the Nitro home , I held the remote up to the sunvisor as instructed. It worked and has ever since. Although sometimes comming up the drive and you hit the button, you have to hold the button for a few seconds for it to activate. Just don't kow about that part. Probably like me, sometimes sort of slow!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.