Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory radio/cd/mp3 installed. It is Sirius ready, but uconnect is not available. Has buttons, but I need the module. My question is would it be more cost effective to just install an aftermarket head unit, with Bluetooth and dvd, or should I install mygig? I really like the mygig unit, but don't know much about it. Do I need any additional parts to have gps and Bluetooth? Being that it has a hard drive, I have no need for ipod controls. My Nitro does not have the premium sound system. It does have 6 speakers. Can I add a subwoofer to mygig? I would like to retain some factory look, as I prefer not to use a radio install kit.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
1. You can add a mygig - they are plug and play. The Nitro uses a High Speed Can Bus system, so you will need a high speed unit. The high and low speed mygigs look identical.

2. Some mygigs have Sirius, others do not. A mygig with Sirius will be plug and play.

3. Some mygigs have NAV, some do not. If you get a mygig with Nav, you will need to get a GPS antenna.

4. Some mygigs have Uconnect built in, some do not. If you get a mygig with built in Uconnect, you will need to purchase the rear view mirror with a built in microphone, and the related harnesses.

4. An external Uconnect module will have a stick-on microphone that you can mount anywhere on the headliner. I have mine mounted in the middle, right by the edge of the windshield.

5. Mygigs are fairly cheap on ebay - find a dealer take out, or one that has been bench tested. The Uconnect modules can also be found on ebay - search: dodge nitro mopar

6. I think that it might be less expensive to get an aftermarket HU with the features that you want. It all depends on the look you are seeking. I wanted the factory look, so I went with an RBZ non-Nav mygig.

7. The only way to add a sub to a mygig is with an amp and speaker - you can not add the factory sub! Here is a link to what I am trying to accomplish with my system:

http://nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38957

Enjoy the read! LOL

8. Scar0 is trying to add the factory Infinity System, which will give him the factory sub. Here is his thread:

http://nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38992

If you find another way to add a sub to a mygig, please let us know!

:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the info. I was thinking about using a line out converter for a sub. Do you know if the non amplified 6 speaker system uses crossovers for the dash tweeters, and if so, are they in the head unit or external? If I just go with the pioneer app radio 3, or any multimedia unit, and use components in the front, it will solve my problems.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The garmin nav unit is code RHB. It does not have an internal Uconnect module. This is the radio I switched to since I already had the Uconnect module from factory with the Infinity system.

The other radios with nav are the newer model RHR and older model RER. Both of these units have Uconnect module built in. You do not need the mirror microphone for this unit either. They sell a factory mic add on kit for these upgrades. If you search the web a lot of Jeep Wrangler owners have gone this way.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.