Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I financed my 07’ Nitro a few months ago. Everything seemed fine other than a faulty gas guage that constantly stays on E with the gas light on, then about a week (mid October) after purchasing my alignment went out and my job relies on deliveries but I made it work as I couldn’t afford to get it fixed then Friday I went to 7/11 before I started my deliveries and turned my car off and when I came back out I turned it on and put it in reverse and it remained in park and the gear shifter will change but won’t physically shift out of park. My gear indicator on my instrument cluster shows it is in park but I have a yellow line half under p and the other half is misaligned to the left of P and when I turn on my truck a 3 dotted yellow line flashes under D along side the line under P then the 3 dots stay under D after a few seconds. I’ve tried resetting the electrical by removing the ground from the battery for 10 minutes, I’ve tried resetting the instrument cluster, I’ve also checked the brake light switch as my reverse lights don’t come on and I checked the brake light fuse and they all seem fine. I fear it’s the shifting cable but can not find anything about the yellow line and dots under the gear indicator panel at all. I can’t afford a mechanic and my payment was due Friday and I don’t know what else to check if anyone has any suggestions. Also my hazards work as well as my regular rear lights. Im hoping my shift cable is just lose and not broken but I need help understanding the lights on the gear indicator.

·
Registered
2007 R/T
296 Posts
It won't physically move out of P.

Is your foot on the brake? Key turned and SUV running?

I'm thinking it's electromechanical and maybe it's the shifter itself, which people have had issues with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won't physically move out of P.

Is your foot on the brake? Key turned and SUV running?

I'm thinking it's electromechanical and maybe it's the shifter itself, which people have had issues with.
The shifter will go into all gears but physically will not move out of park and yes I even reset my brake light switch and still no difference. When I brake and shift while it runs I feel the regular amount of tension as I had prior to this issue so it’s confusing to think it’s the cable or bushing but i just wanna be able to shift gears and it actually shift lol

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Which transmission do you have 4 speed (42RLE) or 5speed (NAG1) ?,

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
do you have a tow/haul switch near the shifter ?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
you obviously need more help than i can give, sorry

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Nitro SXT 3.7L Automatic
1 Posts
Automotive tire Product Font Output device Screenshot

This might be what is going on with your shifter.

This will fix it without having to replace the entire cable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi have you checked the linkage is moving at the transmission end?
Is cable loose, disconnected at either end or broken?
Found this for the transmission:

Font Number Document Screenshot Circle

Reactions: OldNitro
1 - 10 of 10 Posts