Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 3.7 Nitro has 158,00 miles on it and goes through a quart of oil around every 750-800 miles. It seems excessive to me. There are no fresh oil drops on the garage floor, and I can't really see any blue smoke while I'm driving. Not to say that isn't any. I just can't see it. It does not seem normal oil use to me for the mileage. Anyone else tracking their oil consumption for comparison?
Way back in the old days, I'd say it needs new rings, but I don't know if it could be something else. Any thoughts?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,470 Posts
My Nitro has used oil since it was bran new. Only place I can figure it goes is into the air cleaner as blow-by.
Every time I clean and reoil my K&N filter I notice black oil on the top of it right by the "makeup" air tube.
Been meaning to disconnect that tube and add it's own filter to prevent the vacuum from sucking air/oil vapor out of the head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I must have been one of the lucky ones and picked out one of the good Nitro's, according to some of the old posts I've read here and the problems people have been having with theirs. I also know of one guy I used to work with that had nothing but trouble with his and we bought ours about the same time and finally just took it back to the dealer. I don't remember the model though, and now that I think about it it may have been a year later.
I've always been able to make it through a oil changes without adding any oil up to about a year ago. I am not really concerned about it other than the amount it is using, (750-800 miles)
Now I have to ask what the K&N filter is you mentioned.
Thanks for your reply also.
Roger

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,470 Posts
The K&N filter is just a drop in filter that goes into the air cleaner box. It is less restrictive then the paper filters, which allows the Nitro to breath in easier. When it gets dirty you remove it, wash it with water and dish soap, dry it, then apply the K&N oil to the filter. Pop it back in and your off.
Most auto parts store sell them.

Ya, some years Nitro seem to have more issues then others. 08 and 11 I see a lot here on the forum for electrical.
My 07 has also been pretty solid with the exception of the headlight grounds. I had to add secondary grounds to both of mine, forward of the plug. The plug was corroded on both the ground wires. The left lasted OEM until 2 weeks ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts