Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding video was easier than I anticipated.

Stage 1

Connecting Video out from 6CD Changer with DVD
Started with Connector I had from old harness

I used pins 5 and 6 for the connection. Yellow wire to pin 5 Which I will call ground (outside wire in RCA style cable). Blue wire to Pin 6 which is the signal (inside wire on RCA cable)

Was able to easily connect connector to back of radio

Now I can connect to a LCD screen (Iam using a 8" Touch Screen by Innovatek TM-868 from MP3Playerstore.com). The Radio HU will now play DVD's. The Seek and FF/RR buttons control the cursor for navigation. The setup button brings up the menu and pause and enter options.

Here is a shot of my LCD install with the radio removed

And a Shot with the Radio and Trim Plate back on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Infinity sound system. And the HU has DTS so I get positional audio which is COOL:cool: . You can hear sounds go left to right and off screen and behind as well.

I just have to be careful not to be distracted:SHOCKED: While driving

Thanks NitroTech for the bump.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Iam using a 8" Touch Screen by Innovatek TM-868 from MP3Playerstore.com.
Nice setup jaerho..

How do you like the picture quality on that Innovatek screen? After seeing all the cool stuff on that site, I decided to buy the DVD-818b dvd player, and am now looking at the headrest monitors also ( my credit card company thanks you for that :D ).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments I will try and see if I can answer all the questions:D

1./ Monkeyman - Yes I did block the center vents I will try and post a pic on the weekend. but the duct from the firewall to the vent is removable with 3 screws. I then cut the duct and put a cap on it and remounted it. It just increases the air flow to the outside 2 (turn the fan down). I have notice that I might still need to insulate it some more cause of the heat behind the screen.:4-jump2:

2./reehmicks - The screen is quite good. The brightness is actually enough to be seen in full sunlight . I am picking up some noise but that is from the power source. The touch screen works great and easy to setup.:ura1: I would also check out ebay as MP3PlayerStore puts parts up for auction there all the time and you can beat the current selling price. I paid $150 plus shipping which was better than the website price.

3./ Nitrowill - the carputer is on my bench at home as I fried the battery.:mad: It still works on 120 AC but then I need to plug it into the AC outlet on the Nitro. I am starting out with a older HP pavillion Laptop but I am working towards an actual small encloser PC with a proper power source controller. Plus I am still at stage 1 and stage 2 will be the carputer install.

I will be getting into it again this weekend as I want to try and get the screen to flip down and track into the dash to hide when parked or when not using it. I have been using my sons K'NEX to design the linkage and setup.
This is mainly because my wife thinks it is going to be stolen becasue it is visible. (she might be right:shy: )

I will try and post some more pics this weekend with any new details. I am also going to se what the output is for Video 2. I hope it is radio info or MP3 details I can use. We will have to see

Cruising and watching Movies
Jaerho

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phase 2

OK Guys and Girls here is my latest update on the carputer install.

This is still in an early stage (not fully intergrated into Nitro)

SO here is the list of equipment I have added since last post

1. ITX Motherboard with VIA C3/EBGA CPU (running at 533 Mhz) Fanless
2. 3.5 HDD (need cable to install 2.5 HDD inside case)
3. Thin Client case (someones junk my gold:p )
4. 350 watt ATX power supply (external off of old PC)
5. Windows XP minimal install
6. Microsoft Streets, Winamp 5, Click-n-Type (software KB)

Computer is on the floor in back seat for now. As you can see I need a DC to DC power supply. Checking out ebay to get one. Also I have the 2.5 HDD but need a cable adapter to connect to MB. Once I have all that I can modify case and I am planning to fit it into the dash behind LCD.

This is the current screen install. I modified the upper tray to fit back in.

Now for the cool shots of starting it up

Since it is impossible to use a keyboard while driving I am using this program to do the job. It is transparent and easy to use with the touch screen. Works great with any data entry required.

This is map software using the touch screen to zoom in on location.

Still lots of work to do but it is cool driving around and getting looks first for the Nitro and then some people spot the screen and really have a look.:pepper:

I am going to add the following over time as things progress.
1. GPS reciever to add to map software
2. mouse touch pad for easier function while driving.
3. PCMIA Wireless Lan Adapter (connect to home wireless system when in driveway or any hotspots while driving)
4. DC to DC power controller (as stated before)

So tell me what you think all comments welcomed (expect for "why!?!"...I get this one everyday from my wife... and the answer is because I can:Na_Na_Na_Na: )

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hehehehe, sweet. I hope you spend a lot of time in your Nitro..... or plan to!

So did you not get the power inverter in your rig? Or is the power not clean enough to use on a PC? Maybe if you used a UPS?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The original case is from a client used for AS 400. It only had a 110 volt and was fried(why I got it free)

I didnt want to wait while I searched for a replacement and since I had a old PSU and a power converter already it was the logical way to get it up and running. I am going to get a M2-ATX dc to dc power supply see below diagram.

Also I commute about 1.5 hours one way every day so I think it will be worth the time spent. Plus if this goes well I might not have to go in and just work from my mobile office (haha).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Right on. I just had to Google "M2-ATX dc to dc power supply" & read a bit more on this. What a niche. Looks like an outfit called VoomPC is doing a boatload of these things.
I'd get a kick out of it. But I already spend so damn much time in front of a computer at work & at home.....

Keep us in the loop as you develop this further. And don't get in any accidents!

I'm heading into a budget meeting now.... I'd rather be hookin this baby UP!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made a few more purchases today to add to the system

1. SIRIUS Connect Tuner SCH1 with 8-pin mini DIN connector cable - which I need for my second purchase

2. Sirius SC-H1 to USB Interface Cable - this is so I can put the sirius into the carputer and control from the touch screen. I have the Starmate 3 (pre Nitro)

3. And the control interface (software)

Now I can use different front ends or packages to run my sirius sat.

Will post more info after I get it all and installed:ura1:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, I have to say that that looks amazing. If you don't mind I have a few questions.

On a difficulty level, how hard would you say it is so far?
About how much has this project costed you?

I might want to try this on my Nitro when I get it, I understand the computer/electronical aspect of it I am just doubting myself when it comes to yanking the actual stuff out of the Nitro.

Judging by your pictures, it looks like its actually suppose to be in there. I have to say you are doing a great job so far, I am amazed really.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey, I have to say that that looks amazing. If you don't mind I have a few questions.

On a difficulty level, how hard would you say it is so far?
About how much has this project costed you?
Kastang, I have just about bought it all off of ebay so here is what I spent so far.

Innovatek 868 8'' USB Touch Screen VGA TFT LCD MONITOR 132.50
2.5 Notebook HDD to 3.5 Hard Drive IDE Adaptor Cable 1.99 (being shipped now)
M2-ATX DC-DC ATX auto car PC power supply mini ITX EPIA 71.00 (being shipped now)
Alienware Touchpad Mouse USB Ergonomic Touchpad DT 24.95

The Carputer was actually a system (Thin Client) I got that was not working (scrapped out). But all that was wrong with it was the PSU was fried. It had a VIA EPIA-Series Mini-ITX MB with a VIA C3/EDEN EBGA Processor and is fanless. (You can find these on Ebay as well). I added a laptop HDD which I had from an older laptop

Thats the cost Total of 230.44 in USD

As for difficulty the worst was the first mod to the center acc panel when I cut the air outlets out. There was no going back after that. I have plans for a completely new panel but I am a few months away from that.

Most of the work is done with a dremmel tool and different cutting heads. It mainly takes patience and time.

I hope this answers your questions

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.