Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my new Nitro(829 miles on it) and all the warning lamps started going on and off. The tach started jumping from 300 to 3000 rpm, and all this while in cruise control at 60mph. We pulled over as soon as we could. Put it in neutral and it shut itself off. Then on the first try it wouldn't even crank. Waited a couple of minutes and tried again figuring the computer would reset itself. This time it started, and after about 30 seconds all the warning lamps started cycling thru again so I shut it off and had it towed to the dealership. The only thing I've heard of with warning lamps was with automatics and this is a 6-speed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Welcome to the site Trixie. Haven't heard of this situation before. Sounds like a slight electronic problem. I am sure they will get it resolved for you. And there are several people on this site that can probably explain what happened. They will chime in as soon as they come on line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good to hear. I've never joined a forum before, but it looks like a great place to get info.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm beginning to see a trend with the problems Nitro owners are experiencing. Whether its a Automatic transmission or 6 speed isn't going to matter. What appears to be the most possible culprit is the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module).

With that said there are a few scenarios with this component that could be the cause:

-the software programming of the FCM (Front Control Module) incorporated within the TIPM.
-internal circuitry of the TIPM .
-loose connector pins located at the bottom of the TIPM.

I have yet to experience this problem or have a Nitro to diagnosis for this problem, but this is where I would start and would recommend any service department to do the same. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll give a big kudos to NitroLarry as well.

This problem could also be caused by a loose wire, possibly a battery cable not making a good connection. But I'll definately agree with the "electrical" gremlin thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:Banana01:Good news...they fixed the problem at the dealership. It took them 2 days but after tearing apart the dash and scratching their heads (their words not mine), they found a loose connector on the WCM module. This was after several test drives and a couple of tear-downs of the dash.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
:Banana01:Good news...they fixed the problem at the dealership. It took them 2 days but after tearing apart the dash and scratching their heads (their words not mine), they found a loose connector on the WCM module. This was after several test drives and a couple of tear-downs of the dash.

Sounds good. Loose connections are like a needle in a haystack. Makes sense now based on your original description of the problem that the WCM and connector were the cause. Thanks for sharing the repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.