Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am on the all-too-common Dodge vehicle security lockout and why I don't know my one and only key started acting up wasn't opening the door so I started using it manually well went to Walmart purchased a battery one night put it in and drove home just fine next day get in crank the car starts out for a second stops starts up again stops starts up again stops I'm thinking bad fuel pump so then I noticed the red light then I start reading all the forums and everything on the internet I reset the battery I have disconected the tipm reset the battery I've coneccted the terminals tovether pretty much have done everything you can do I've really exhausted everything that I think I can do so if anybody has anything that can help me please it will be greatly appreciated I only have the one key like I said so I can't do the other key method and I really don't want to have to have a locksmith come out for a hundred and fifty dollars at least and program a key and have it possibly not work and the dealers going to want at least 300 or more to do the same thing does anybody know how I can reprogram my one and only key and reset it so that it'll actually work I've even taking the steering column apart taking the wcm out disconnected it let it sit out overnight and put it back in maybe that's all I need any help again guys would be greatly appreciated thank you frustrated but not giving up

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
straight away i'm thinking it's the communication between the key and the WCM, as for the starting then stopping after a couple of seconds this is normal if there WCM does not recognise the key,
if the red security dot is permanently on in the cluster you will not be able to start the engine, except as above.

i do not know how you reset the security system but i did read that it has to be done by the dealer BUT i have a also read these:
1, put the key in the door lock and turn to unlock position 3 times
2, put the key in the ignition turn to the on position and press the unlock button on the keyfob
3, press the unlock button on the keyfob 3 times rapidly
4, press the unlock button on the keyfob and keep it pressed untill you hear a pip of the horn.

the owner handbook simply says press the unlock button on the keyfob to disarm the alarm.

you could try you local key cutting shop, they may be able to cut and program a key as long as there machine can read your old key, i know ScarO bought a key from ebay and his local shop programmed it for him,

it is possible that the transponder in your key is the issue, and maybe the shop can confirm this.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
@Steven Blacker
Call me old school if you will, but I had a very hard time reading your post.
Please use some kind of sentence structure. If nothing else, at the very least, put a period "." at the end of a sentence.
That being said...
A mobile locksmith would probably be your best bet for a new key. But, even they may not be able to get into the system without 1 working key.
But I do have a question. The one key you have, is it and OEM key, and not an after market flip key?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
straight away i'm thinking it's the communication between the key and the WCM, as for the starting then stopping after a couple of seconds this is normal if there WCM does not recognise the key,
if the red security dot is permanently on in the cluster you will not be able to start the engine, except as above.

i do not know how you reset the security system but i did read that it has to be done by the dealer BUT i have a also read these:
1, put the key in the door lock and turn to unlock position 3 times
2, put the key in the ignition turn to the on position and press the unlock button on the keyfob
3, press the unlock button on the keyfob 3 times rapidly
4, press the unlock button on the keyfob and keep it pressed untill you hear a pip of the horn.

the owner handbook simply says press the unlock button on the keyfob to disarm the alarm.

you could try you local key cutting shop, they may be able to cut and program a key as long as there machine can read your old key, i know ScarO bought a key from ebay and his local shop programmed it for him,

it is possible that the transponder in your key is the issue, and maybe the shop can confirm this.
Thanks so much im going to try this right now I'll let you kniw how it works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts