Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem started today. I leave my house the nitro starts up just fine. Drive about 30min to meet with some people. Get back in the nitro and go to start it and it kind of starts. But won't turn over all the way. Turn it off and try again. Same thing. Tried a few times and it did the same thing over and over. Then probably on the 10th try it started right up.

This video shows exactly what was happening.

No idea why it started doing this since its NEVER done it before. Any ideas?

Also there is ZERO codes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Getting to be a common issue. Have not seen a fix yet. Someone needs a scan tool and watch data stream to check crank and cam signals.check for spark,injector pulse,fuel pump running. There are numerous things that can be going on but it has not been pin pointed.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
At the start of the Vid was the key in?

·
Registered
267 Posts
if you shut it off, then try immediately to start it, does it start? Does the starting problem only occur after it has sat for a while... maybe 20-30 minutes?

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK just listened to your vid. Was in a resturante on the first post. Def. Sounds like the first kick it has is running the fuel pressure down. I'm sure we can come up with the wire but I would like you to wire up a led light to the fuel pump power wire. The pump should come on as soon as you start cranking and we can go from there. Does it have any running issues after it does light? Such as a stumble or hesitation immediately after starting even if it's for 2 seconds. Also if you are trying to pull faults do you have a scan tool? If so data stream on the tool will have info such as water temp, intake air temp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry. That wasn't my video. But it showed how it doesn't start. I have the same lights though. Check engine light and lighting bolt while it tries to start. If it does it again on my way to work tomorrow I will take a video of exactly what mine shows.

Brian, It even did it after I drove for a bit then stopped it. Of course I was curious if it would do the same thing again so I shut it off and went to start it again and it did the same thing. A few tries of getting it to start and it started right up like nothing was wrong.

It feels like it kind of starts, this is hard to explain. But it feels like it starts to start but doesn't. Like the starter is stuck and it begins to turn over but doesn't. While it is doing this from what I remember I can't put it in any gear.

Fastcompany. After it starts up it runs almost fine. I do feel a small vibration like a very small idling issue. I do have a scan tool. Not a super fancy one but I can see some live data and would have to double check if those things I could see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the start of the Vid was the key in?
Sorry. That wasn't my video. But it showed how it doesn't start. I have the same lights though. Check engine light and lighting bolt while it tries to start. If it does it again on my way to work tomorrow I will take a video of exactly what mine shows.

if you shut it off, then try immediately to start it, does it start? Does the starting problem only occur after it has sat for a while... maybe 20-30 minutes?
Brian, It even did it after I drove for a bit then stopped it. Of course I was curious if it would do the same thing again so I shut it off and went to start it again and it did the same thing. A few tries of getting it to start and it started right up like nothing was wrong.

OK just listened to your vid. Was in a resturante on the first post. Def. Sounds like the first kick it has is running the fuel pressure down. I'm sure we can come up with the wire but I would like you to wire up a led light to the fuel pump power wire. The pump should come on as soon as you start cranking and we can go from there. Does it have any running issues after it does light? Such as a stumble or hesitation immediately after starting even if it's for 2 seconds. Also if you are trying to pull faults do you have a scan tool? If so data stream on the tool will have info such as water temp, intake air temp.
It feels like it kind of starts, this is hard to explain. But it feels like it starts to start but doesn't. Like the starter is stuck and it begins to turn over but doesn't. While it is doing this from what I remember I can't put it in any gear.

Fastcompany. After it starts up it runs almost fine. I do feel a small vibration like a very small idling issue. I do have a scan tool. Not a super fancy one but I can see some live data and would have to double check if those things I could see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was leaning towards a fuel issue. Maybe fuel pump failing when it gets warm, then working again when it cools off. If it would start up right away, but not after sitting for a while, I would suspect a leak in the fuel system somewhere.... maybe an injector? These are only guesses.... very hard to be exact from here.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Your own Vid would be great. We based our answers on the Vid we were looking at.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh my bad I thought the vid was the actual vid. And fuel pumps intank anyways will only overheat when low on fuel. The pump being submersed in fuel cools it. However something like a relay could get to hot and stick. But I'm with scaro would like to hear the actual vehicle to verify it sounds the same

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it turns out I couldn't get it to do what it was doing. I even had my phone out and recording ready to capture it. But nooo it started up just fine. Drove it three times today and every time it started up just normal. I will keep recording the start up's the next few times to see if I can get a video of it.

If not... not sure what to think.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Oh my bad I thought the vid was the actual vid. And fuel pumps intank anyways will only overheat when low on fuel. The pump being submersed in fuel cools it.
That is what I was thinking when I saw the Vid. The rig in it only had 1/4 +/- tank of gas.
Low fuel level would explain why it is such an intermittent problem and difficult to pin down.
I never run my rig less then 1/4 tank just because it will make the fuel pump last longer.
My brother-in-law ran his Jeep with never more then 1/2 tank of fuel and all the way down to empty before filling it to 1/2 tank. Cost him 2 fuel pumps in 4 years! @ $300 a pop...
I had to chuckle when he said he did not have the $ to fill the tank each time.
Um, It costs the same to fill from 1/2 to full, as it does from empty to 1/2!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '07 just started to do this as well. Occasionally it will stumble, then die. Today, about 8 'stumble sessions' and it fired up. One item of note is that today was warm here in New England (70F) and I was at the idiot light stage of low fuel. I usually fill up when it hits 1/4 tank (had a fuel pump go in my '97 dakota, it wasn't fun).

I'll keep my eye on it. Thought it might be injectors at 105k miles, so I dumped some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank at my last fill up.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
My '07 just started to do this as well. Occasionally it will stumble, then die. Today, about 8 'stumble sessions' and it fired up. One item of note is that today was warm here in New England (70F) and I was at the idiot light stage of low fuel. I usually fill up when it hits 1/4 tank (had a fuel pump go in my '97 dakota, it wasn't fun).

I'll keep my eye on it. Thought it might be injectors at 105k miles, so I dumped some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank at my last fill up.
Um, Maybe we are on to something...
Keep us posted on how things go.
Up to this point we still don't have anything definitive as far as a cause or solution.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It seem this has gone on for awhile and the members that posted stuff early on quit complaining about it...are they all just dealing with it at this point?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Good question Fastcompany,
I think some of the early ones went to a dealer and just didn't bother coming back.
Some could be living with it , others may have traded/sold them. But if they were traded/sold one would think the new owners would come looking for answers. And we are not inundated with new members having this problem...
It does seem to happen more in the spring and summer, then in fall or winter.

At this point I'm still leaning toward it being one of 3 things; A heat-soaked fuel pump. Not sure if the Nitro fuel pump has an internal breaker in it, or if the module sends a "bad temp" computer message. I know it will send an over pressure message.

Possibly a leaking injector, or just plain old vapor lock.
Maybe someone should wait till it happens again and jump out quick and remove the fuel filler cap. See if that relieves the pressure, allowing it to start.
But the Nitro uses a continuous flow fuel system, so in theory vapor lock is not an option.
If it were me, it'd drive me crazy till I figured it out.

Reactions: genseric

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Me too! I'd figure it one way or another till I found the reason. Knock on wood my 07 hasn't missed a step . Yet ! :eek:

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello every one ,having the same issue here while I cant be sure since it happens so fast I am more concerned about shutting down the engine in case of possible damage however is seems to me the engine may be running in reverse . it wont accelerate and the valve train makes a rattling noise .
I shut it down immediately then it restarts like it never happened and runs fine for weeks then will happen again out of the blue .
I would like to get a handle on this before any damage occurs , my wife really loves her nitro andi want to keep it nice as long as I can . 2007 3.7 4wd auto 130 k recent plugs and fuel system clean .
thank you for any help . Bob p.s. recent 02 sensor change

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
First thing I would do is a reset by disconnecting neg battery terminal for a few minutes and see if it does it again after reconnecting
this should clear memory and the Nitro re learns.
Once in a while mine starts rough. Restart and ok. I reset and it goes away for some time

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 20 of 63 Posts