Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
hello every one ,having the same issue here while I cant be sure since it happens so fast I am more concerned about shutting down the engine in case of possible damage however is seems to me the engine may be running in reverse . it wont accelerate and the valve train makes a rattling noise .
I shut it down immediately then it restarts like it never happened and runs fine for weeks then will happen again out of the blue .
I would like to get a handle on this before any damage occurs , my wife really loves her nitro andi want to keep it nice as long as I can . 2007 3.7 4wd auto 130 k recent plugs and fuel system clean .
thank you for any help . Bob p.s. recent 02 sensor change
I only had this happen one time. It was after a low RPM stall, then restart. From outside it sounded like a lifter fell off.
This was the first week I had the Nitro. Never happened since.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem started today. I leave my house the nitro starts up just fine. Drive about 30min to meet with some people. Get back in the nitro and go to start it and it kind of starts. But won't turn over all the way. Turn it off and try again. Same thing. Tried a few times and it did the same thing over and over. Then probably on the 10th try it started right up.

This video shows exactly what was happening.

No idea why it started doing this since its NEVER done it before. Any ideas?

Also there is ZERO codes.
Has anyone figured out what the problem is? Mine has been doing it for about a year. I have 253,000 miles on it with a new fuel pump installed on a recall about five years ago. I don’t want the shop to troubleshoot it and charge me more money.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem to me . Next time have some starter fluid ready and see if it starts right away with a spray of starter fluid. Other wise have a fuel pressure tool to see if you have the right pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I, too had fallen victim to this issue. Once in a blue moon it would happen Turn the key off, try again and it would usually start and run fine. Then, one day the battery was dead. Strange, because it was less than a year old. Went through a lot of bullpoop, but ended up replacing the fuel relay in the tipm. It was nasty inside. It had been sticking and not letting the pump run, then finally stuck and ran the pump all night and killed the battery, Since replacing the bad relays in the tipm, no more issues. Hopefully, my experience guides someone in the right direction for repairing their Nitro

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
That's not a starting issue. It's an issue after starting. The starter solenoid is keep it engaged. The engine is running with the starter engaged. It's happened twice to me. I plan to replaced or rebuild the starter soon before it gets worse.

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
670 Posts
Mine does same thing. Ugh. More inread and no resolutions... this thread is ages old and havent seen a fix yet ..... 2007 4wd SLT

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
post #24 had a fix ?.

·
Registered
670 Posts
post #24 had a fix ?.
#24 says the solenoid...... post 25 says the starter issues.... was just hoping on clarification on what one fixed it? .. either way, how much damage is this causing to my truck as it hapoens?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
#24 mentions relays. Yes, a bad relay can keep the starter engaged. So far, mine has not acted up again. I would replace the relays first. It's an electrical part used very heavily. Plus, it's good maintenance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Unfortunately i do not have the experience or know how to solder a new relay on the tipm..... so i will continue to live with it..... or possibly try to bypass the relay.....saw a guy online who sells a bypass wire for this exact problem. Havent checked price to see if i should make it myself yet lol

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
The bypass kit is only if your fuel pump does not turn on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If this is happening so intermittently due to the solenoid not engaging the pump sometimes then by bypassing it it should nip any chance of it happening again though correct. Just bypass the solenoid and those few times the solenoid isnt engaging the pump will be cut out. Correct me if thats wrong or sounds crazy...... i think the solenoid is hit or miss.... so i just want to permanently bypass it for that once a month time it sticks.......:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve always had this problem. It’s definitely heat related but only happens occasionally. I got annoyed by it and put in a new starter a few hundred thousand miles ago. It didn’t help. Sometimes the problem just goes away for months and then returns. Start cold, no problem but if I have been driving it, occasionally it will turn over like it wants to start. Turn the key back off, it starts every time.

Actually we’re talking about 2 different starting issues. One is heat and fuel related, the other is the starter continuing on after starting. I had the latter problem too but it went away and I couldn’t pinpoint what was the fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve always had this problem. It’s definitely heat related but only happens occasionally. I got annoyed by it and put in a new starter a few hundred thousand miles ago. It didn’t help. Sometimes the problem just goes away for months and then returns. Start cold, no problem but if I have been driving it, occasionally it will turn over like it wants to start. Turn the key back off, it starts every time.

Actually we’re talking about 2 different starting issues. One is heat and fuel related, the other is the starter continuing on after starting. I had the latter problem too but it went away and I couldn’t pinpoint what was the fix.

We have been having them exact two starting issues for a year or two now and have been dealing with it . It starts fine when cold. But after it gets warmed up and you shut it off and wait around 10 to 20 minutes it won't start and it will do that weird idle starter staying engaged thing. but then after it cools down. Say right at an hour later it will start and go.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same problem. It was very intermittently at first, but then was happening much more often... and always after sitting a short time between drives. Last time it happened I had to let the car sit for an hour before it would start. Apparently, it was the fuel relay. I wasn't too keen on pulling my TIPM apart and soldering a new one in (asinine that this is soldered in imo), so I found a website that sells a test/bypass cable:

www.verticalvisions.com

$25 for the cable, and I haven't had it happen again since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem also. It happens randomly from a cold start overnight to running errands with several stops and the engine is warm. I have to admit I am at a 1/4 tank of gas. I'm gonna fill it up and start to watch it more closely. My Nitro does need a tune up, I was thinking of doing new fuel injectors.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am having the same problem also. It happens randomly from a cold start overnight to running errands with several stops and the engine is warm. I have to admit I am at a 1/4 tank of gas. I'm gonna fill it up and start to watch it more closely. My Nitro does need a tune up, I was thinking of doing new fuel injectors.
For half the price of one injector you could get the cable I linked above which allows you to test your fuel relay to see whether or not that is the problem. Might be worth the investment before spending $300+ on new injectors.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had the same problem. It was very intermittently at first, but then was happening much more often... and always after sitting a short time between drives. Last time it happened I had to let the car sit for an hour before it would start. Apparently, it was the fuel relay. I wasn't too keen on pulling my TIPM apart and soldering a new one in (asinine that this is soldered in imo), so I found a website that sells a test/bypass cable:

www.verticalvisions.com

$25 for the cable, and I haven't had it happen again since. Hope this helps.
Yea i watched a youtube vid on a guy selling them as well.... it should fix it if if is the relay. Even if the relay only sticks intermittently it will bypass it that time it does in theory... we had a discussion about this before lol. Weirdly enough mine hasnt done it since before that discussion some time back

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
i while back i was looking at remanned TIPM's and they list the internal fuel pump relay as a common issue along with the door lock relays,

Reactions: JPthekid

·
Registered
5 Posts
i while back i was looking at remanned TIPM's and they list the internal fuel pump relay as a common issue along with the door lock relays,
Hello
I've been having this weird start problem.where.truck seems shake .
Then it goes away . The video at the beginning thread shows the vehicle doesnt not want seem to engage.
Are we saying the the problem is the fuel pump relay in Tipm.?
Btw I get no codes when this happens
Any comments appreciated

21 - 40 of 63 Posts