Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This problem started today. I leave my house the nitro starts up just fine. Drive about 30min to meet with some people. Get back in the nitro and go to start it and it kind of starts. But won't turn over all the way. Turn it off and try again. Same thing. Tried a few times and it did the same thing over and over. Then probably on the 10th try it started right up.

This video shows exactly what was happening.

No idea why it started doing this since its NEVER done it before. Any ideas?

Also there is ZERO codes.

Combo.
Have you resolved issue?
I'm having exact same issue on my 2010
Thread is saying ..fuel pu.p relay in tipm?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
if you think you have a fuel pump issue then maybe spend $25 on the relay bypass harness in post #35 by BOKEH rather than spending $500 on a new TIPM

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cant you just replace the fuel pump relay in tipm
Do have replace entire unit
The relay is soldered into the bottom section of the TIPM. There are some videos on YouTube that show how to remove the old one and solder a new one in place, but using the bypass cable has worked for me without issue so far.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
5 Posts
The relay is soldered into the bottom section of the TIPM. There are some videos on YouTube that show how to remove the old one and solder a new one in place, but using the bypass cable has worked for me without issue so far.
Thanks Bokeh

Is the bypass harness cable eady to install.?
Does the kit come with instructions?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, it is $25 for the test/bypass cable and comes assembled with instructions. I believe they offer the bypass cable without the test option for a few dollars cheaper, but probably worth just getting the one that will do both.

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
670 Posts
The bypass will be a lot easier than the relay.... unless you have soldering tools/experience id try the bypass kit.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same problem. It was very intermittently at first, but then was happening much more often... and always after sitting a short time between drives. Last time it happened I had to let the car sit for an hour before it would start. Apparently, it was the fuel relay. I wasn't too keen on pulling my TIPM apart and soldering a new one in (asinine that this is soldered in imo), so I found a website that sells a test/bypass cable:

www.verticalvisions.com

$25 for the cable, and I haven't had it happen again since. Hope this helps.
Do you still feel good about that as your solution? This is driving me literally and figuratively nuts. Mechanic kept it three days, then changed cam sensor which did not solve it. I just contacted veritical visions.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Do you still feel good about that as your solution? This is driving me literally and figuratively nuts. Mechanic kept it three days, then changed cam sensor which did not solve it. I just contacted veritical visions.
I never did anything as mine hasnt done it in quite awhile. I would do it on mine if it got bad again though. Could last forever for less than 20bux. At the least if it fixed it you will know the relay is to blame

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Nitro SLT (black)
31 Posts
mine does this to here and there...it eventually starts agin after a few tries ' key dance '...in fact it happened last night after my truck started to over heat...once cooled down started right up...I'm going to order this bypass just to have as it doesn't happen enough to drive me crazy yet lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im in agreement with you. I almost hate to type this but it hasn't done it in weeks. The first time it did it years ago, I freaked out. I have heard a ton of solutions for this. But the thing is, until someone says it hasn't done it in a year or more, I'm not going for it. I changed the sensor, thought it was fixed. A month later, it did it again. I added the additive, it did it again. The bypass makes sense to me but for now, I do the " key dance". Whether that is doing something or not, it starts after I do it and makes me think it did something!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not sure how I missed the first post you tagged me in, but I have had the relay bypass in for 10 months now and have not had a repeat of the problem. I do believe it is a good solution for the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve realized it only does it when it’s been stopped and started multiple times throughout the day so I really do think it has something to do with heat. Cause if I go from point A to B it’s fine. It’s when I have to go from point A B C and D that it starts acting up. It’s annoying cause if I’m out and it doesn’t start I’m stuck waiting till it wants to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im in agreement with you. I almost hate to type this but it hasn't done it in weeks. The first time it did it years ago, I freaked out. I have heard a ton of solutions for this. But the thing is, until someone says it hasn't done it in a year or more, I'm not going for it. I changed the sensor, thought it was fixed. A month later, it did it again. I added the additive, it did it again. The bypass makes sense to me but for now, I do the " key dance". Whether that is doing something or not, it starts after I do it and makes me think it did something!
What’s the key dance lol?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I’ve realized it only does it when it’s been stopped and started multiple times throughout the day so I really do think it has something to do with heat. Cause if I go from point A to B it’s fine. It’s when I have to go from point A B C and D that it starts acting up. It’s annoying cause if I’m out and it doesn’t start I’m stuck waiting till it wants to start.
These are the same symptoms I experienced. If heat is an issue, as I very well could be, it could be that the fuel pump relay is overheating and not working properly. Since I have installed the bypass I have not had the issue repeat itself, so I do suggest giving it a try.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
What’s the key dance lol?
Welcome to the forum @Esha. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Key dance:
Key on, do not try to start, wait count 3 seconds, Key off, repeat 3 times. Then try to start.

·
Registered
670 Posts
mines done it since day one. I dunno y I haven’t done the bypass. BUT, it has done it starting it right in my garage after sitting all night. Not saying it isn’t heat related for some.... but I think it’s just an issue in general... heat may make it worse but it’ll do it either way if you have the issue. Been doing it more frequently to me again. And it’s been cooling off here....

Reactions: BOKEH

·
Registered
670 Posts
Got in mine today. Bout 6:45am...50degrees.... had the starting issue. Trucks been parked since Friday.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts