Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Welcome to my nightmare!

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  DogLHunt 
#1 · (Edited)
Reactions: IMWhisper
#4 ·
My wife gets to store her mustang convertible in the garage. The other half is a storage area for motorcycle and other junk. Nitro is an outside Nitro.

I didn't see any permanent damage; I think I got lucky there!

#9 ·
York, PA. Now the storm is done and the Nitro is drying, I can see little dings on the hood, roof, and doors..................this sucks! A call to insurance agent tomorrow.

#13 ·
Wow. It's such a helpless feeling isn't it. We've had two hail storms this summer, but nothing like that. Both times I could only look out the window, thinking, "stop it!" I was lucky both times.

I've heard that the PDR dent removal services are pretty darn good these days, especailly for this kind of thing. Let us know how it works out.

#14 · (Edited)
you need to see if anyone in your area does paintless dent repair.....in the long run if you ever trade it in or sell it and they ask if it had paint repair you can say no!! the success rate is pretty good.

keep us posted and good luck!!

#16 ·
Body shop is going to use paintless dent repair on 10/21. We will see how it works. Insurance estimate for the repair using the PDR is about $1,500

#17 ·
Body shop is going to use paintless dent repair on 10/21. We will see how it works. Insurance estimate for the repair using the PDR is about $1,500
that is a long time away, must be alot of claims...sad you have to wait that long

#21 ·
Update

Took Nitro to repair shop on 8/21. They got out most of the dents on hood, roof and doors using the paintless dent repair. They couldn't repair the ones along the roof line just below the black roof rack, that is an almost solid reinforced area. They would need to sand, fill and paint just about half the car........I said no. You really have to look hard and be at just the right angle to see the dents anyway. I know they are there, but most anyone else will have no clue. I want to keep the original factory paint as long as possible.

Now for the bad news! I got into my Nitro to go home and I looked at the headliner, that they had to remove to get to the dents on the roof. I could not believe my eyes. There were greasy hand prints and smears all over the head liner, and on the sun visors. I almost ****! I went back into the shop and asked how they could possibly give me back my Nitro in this condition. I asked them why the person installing the headliner would not be wearing some type of gloves. They just looked at me and shrugged. A mechanic goes to my car and spends 10 minutes trying to clean up the mess. The 10 minute clean job was pathetic. I called my insurance company and told them to hold up payment. In the mean time I looked under the hood. It looked like they just ripped the felt hood insulator from the push plugs and when they replace, 4 of the push plugs were missing! The insurance agent talked to shop and they agreed to bring in an outside detailer, to clean the headliner, and also buy me a new felt hood insulator. The detailer did an adequate job and the hood insulation is back to new condition, so things are better.

All I wanted was to get my Nitro back in the same condition that I left it with them. It is only six months old and in new condition. I had a second car, with hale damage, that this shop was to work on, but I cancelled that appointment.

Beware of who you get to work on your cars!

Reactions: dk1677
#22 ·
Perfect fast move, DogLHunt, that you got your insurance guy to do the hassling for you. As powerful as each of us consumers should be, we're tiny compared to folks like insurance companies who hold a LOT of business in their pockets. I'm so glad it finally worked out OK, and it's a shame that you had to fight such stupid performance and unprofessionalism.

#23 ·
So true. So true, Both of you.
You really have to be ware of who you are dealing with.
Glad to hear they put things right DogLHunt.

#26 ·
Do you have room in your yard for qne of those steel post/frame buildings with tarp top to park the Nitro under? If not you could straddle the driveway with it in front of the garage like a car port. Personally I would substitute the tarp with metal or fiberglass roofing like they use on screen porches to make it sturdier especially for snow load in winter.:rep:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.