432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the headliner right at the top of the driver's side front pillar
was very wet the other day. Is there drain lines for the sunroof,
or is it the roof rails that are leaking? thanks, douglas

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Sunroof drain line is clogged, would be my bet.
There are 4 total, one on each of the front corners and on each of the rear corners.
Front

Rear

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's pretty easy to clean them out unless they are really badly clogged. Here's a quick step by step available online, but basically you open your sunroof, find the drain holes, clean out anything covering the holes and try dropping a small amount of water down each. Then use compressed air to help clean any debris. Any really bad clogs may require more of a tear down.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5949244_clean-out-sunroof-drain-holes.html

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Be cautious with compressed air. Too much and you can dislodge the tubes. Then a tear down is necessary.
You can use some heavy fishing line and run it down the tubes also. But forewarned, that may clog them even worse by compacting the debris.
Either way use caution.
Also look for missing caulk around the sunroof seams...

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's true about the compressed air, Scar0. One way to start is with the small cans of air used to clean out computer components. Enough power to move some dust and light debris but not enough to tear seals. Either way, something that is easy enough to be done if done carefully.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got out my six foot ladder, set it up next to the driver's door,
and I was expecting to see the drain holes, but I didn't see
anything that looks like drains. Are they underneath something
that has to be removed first? thanks, douglas

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Open the sunroof, sit on the center console, head out the opening. Look in the front corners under the little tube like thing that holds the screw gear. I just went out and tried to get Pics but it was pretty tight.
Left front.

Right front. This one turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This forum always amazes me. So much info and knowledge available. I don't have a sunroof so I can't comment on the issue at hand but I can tell you that a length of weed-eater line may work ideally to clean out those drains.

I use it for similar applications on outboard motors. It is rigid enough to clean out the clog and flexible enough to follow the bends and twists along the length of the drain tube.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the darn's things sometimes, I got myself sitting up on the
console and I'm looking at the driver's side corner and I don't
see nothing that looks like the photo, scratch head. Turn around
and look at the pass side, and sure enough there's the drain hole.
Back to the other side look closer and there is what appears to be
a round ball perfectly stuck in the opening. I flicked it out with
my pocketknife, it was a round, black seed of some kind, just
the right size to get itself wedged in the opening. Good thing it
wasn't a little smaller it would have for sure got stuck further
in the tube. thanks, douglas

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lol! No wonder you couldn't see that hole. Glad you found the issue and hopefully that will clear up your issue.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
the darn's things sometimes, I got myself sitting up on the
console and I'm looking at the driver's side corner and I don't
see nothing that looks like the photo, scratch head. Turn around
and look at the pass side, and sure enough there's the drain hole.
Back to the other side look closer and there is what appears to be
a round ball perfectly stuck in the opening. I flicked it out with
my pocketknife, it was a round, black seed of some kind, just
the right size to get itself wedged in the opening. Good thing it
wasn't a little smaller it would have for sure got stuck further
in the tube. thanks, douglas
:woohoo: Glad you found it when you did, or you'd have a plant growing come spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem and saw no debris in the front drain holes. Right front was able to pour water in without clogging but driver front wont drain. Can you tell me where the other end of the drain is so I can see if the grommet is clogged?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
I'm having the same problem and saw no debris in the front drain holes. Right front was able to pour water in without clogging but driver front wont drain. Can you tell me where the other end of the drain is so I can see if the grommet is clogged?
I have fixed the missing Pics in post 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for fixing the drain tube pics. For the front drain, is it in the door hinge area? If I could see an actual pic of where it is it may help. It's a bit hard to determine from the diagram. Thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Its pouring outside right now so I could not look for long. I was not able to see it in the hinge area. I believe it is in between the inner and outer sheet metal.
Have you tried running a heavy fishing line or a weed eater string down the tube?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My front driver's side tube is clogged. It must be at the very end of the tube. I've already used weed wacker string but that didn't unplug it :( I'd like to be able to find the end of it and clean it out and cut the end to make sure this doesn't happen again.
I've watched videos on Youtube but they were all different Chrysler vehicles, not any Nitros. They showed the grommet going through the floor board but I'm not seeing mine there. I was hoping it was because that's an easy fix that I can do. Is that where it is or is it somewhere by the fender/door?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
veronica, The top pic in post 2 shows the front route. It comes out inside the outer fender.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Veronica, try pouring some water down the tube first then follow up with a strong wire (slightly thinner than coathanger size)and punch your way through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts