Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys... And gals:); I work at a dealership and have convinced my boss to let me have a little fun with a Nitro SLT 4x4. I have it in our bodyshop getting a paintjob similar to the CES Nitro, I installed The MOPAR Chrome front accent (between the bumps on the front bumper in the plate area), MOPAR Stainless Nitro door sill plates, E&G Classic Chrome mesh grille, and I have MOPAR Chrome Rock Rails on order (seems like getting these may be an issue). I am ready for wheels and tires at this point so it is suggestion time.

Please keep in mind that we are exactly between city and country so off road wheel and tire must be at least a consideration (not to mention that it is a little different than what is currently out there) and that it has to retain some practicality since this will be offered for sale.

Here are my thoughts:

16" & Meaty Tire

17" & Meaty Tire

18" Agressive A/T Tire

20" Same old deal (not that it does not look great, I personally like the setup)

I would appreciate your opinions, thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As much snow as mine has seen this winter so far, I'm going to need some descent A/T tires soon. We've had to unhook the ATV trailer from the Nitro twice to be able to move it, then rehook the trailer.
Of the 1500 miles I've got on the truck, I'd bet that at least 500 of it is in 4wd so far.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
18" Agressive A/T Tire
18" would be about as large as I would be willing to go and still have a decent ride off road. I have ordered a 4x4 R/T, so I will experience first hand what the 20" are like off road. However, I also have a set of Center Line 18s with Nitto Terra Grappler 255/55 18". These can be very hard to find, but they are the correct height for the Nitro. I had them mounted on my '03 Liberty until I sold it. They should look and ride better on the Nitro than they did on the Liberty. There are so many 18" rims to choose from that you will have no trouble finding one to complete the look you want.

The first photo below is of my Liberty, the second is Nitto tire size chart. There are a few others available, I just liked the way they looked.

·
Registered
534 Posts
16 inch should be your MAX for real off-road use. The less wheel and more tire you have the better tractions you'll get. ESPECIALLY in the rocks. My favorite combo is still my 15x9 American racing rims with the 38x14.5 TSL Thornbird Super Swampers!!!! They worked great on my Jeep Cherokee and I ran 15x8's with 32x11.5 BFG's on my Wrangler. This new 'fad' of big wheels and little tires is strickly for the road.

Make sure you post picks. My wholwe intention with my SLT is to make it off road worthy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions, right now it seems that we might go with an 18" rim tire combo similar to HighVoltageNitro's setup (do you have any side shots of the jeep?). KanasasNitro will be happy to know we will use an American Racing wheel, we are a distributor.

Here is the wheel we are leaning towards:

http://www.americanracing.com/appgu...E+TRUCK/VAN/SUV&model=NITRO&style=321&id=1364

Now the question... Do we use our top color (from our two tone) on the inlay portion of the wheel?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KansasNitro, I agree with you to an extent. It would definately increase the off road look, my only concern is handling and maybe the fact that these new "low Profile" Off road tires on plus size wheels look pretty cool. They also support the Nitro's true target audience (according to DCX those who want a stylish suv built for urban use, the new Liberty will be set up for off road use).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HighVoltageNITRO You are the greatest! Those look awesome I allready have my Parts Dept. tracking down the nitto tires I am sold. BTW That has to be the toughest looking liberty I have ever seen!

Those are 255/55/r18's?? Wow good setup.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
HighVoltageNITRO You are the greatest! Those look awesome I allready have my Parts Dept. tracking down the nitto tires I am sold. BTW That has to be the toughest looking liberty I have ever seen!

Those are 255/55/r18's?? Wow good setup.
Yes, those are 255/55r18's. I have them in my garage waiting on my Nitro to be built. Good luck with your project. Post lots of photos so we can all share in the joy!

Tim

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have MOPAR Chrome Rock Rails on order (seems like getting these may be an issue).
HuffDaddy - Your turn. I also ordered Mopar Chrome Rock Rails, Part Number 82210567. Please elaborate on 'seems like getting these may be an issue'.

Also, since you work at a dealership, explain this. Page 15 of the Nitro Accessories quick reference guide, Tubular Side Rails, Matches the Tubular Bull Bar. What Tubular Bull Bar? Could it be the one I (and many others on this forum) really want, but Dodge failed to it print in the accessories guide with all the other goodies?? Is there another Mopar-Dodge Nitro Accessories-source than the Quick Reference Guide?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MOPAR will not give a real reason for the delay, imho I think that they will delay until they have enough orders to do a production run. I truly think that they are an early part for the new liberty (very similar to nitro) since the Nitro is not marketed to Off roaders.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
MOPAR will not give a real reason for the delay, imho I think that they will delay until they have enough orders to do a production run. I truly think that they are an early part for the new liberty (very similar to nitro) since the Nitro is not marketed to Off roaders.
Thanks HuffDaddy. I may have to wait until April for my Nitro to be delivered anyway (waiting on MyGIG on assembly line).

Can't wait to see photos of your Nitro suited up for off road action. You gotta know, you should keep a running list of your mods. Some of us may want to copy quite a few of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is it so far:

E & G Classic Mesh Grille Inserts

Two Tone Paint (stock black with a Flame Red Top Painted the same way as the CGS NITRO")

MOPAR Nitro Stainless Door Sills

MOPAR Front Chrome Accent piece (center of front bumper)

American Racing AR-321 18x8.5" Wheels

255/55/R15 Nitto Terra Grappler A/T Tires

We hope that the rock rails come in in time but will not worry if they are not, this vehicle will be available for sale so we are trying to keep it somewhat affordible.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.