Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hi when you say the heater has stopped blowing. do you mean the blower has stopped blowing or there is no heat.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
OK, sorry i don't have any more input for this, other than whats in this thread (flushing radiator), someone will be along soon with more info.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
search: heater flaps on this forum and you may find the solution.
also i would presume you have checked your coolant level.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
I'd do a really good back flush, if you have already checked the function of the blend door. See this post 6. Heater core issues

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Thanks for the update, and glad you sorted it.
i think i will put Coolant change, on my, To do list .

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
I wanted to update and let everyone know that the heater core flush fixed the issue. Thanks for the help. If anyone has a similar issue I would try this first before any expensive repairs
Good news. :appl: :rep: After a bit you may want to do it again as things that loosened but did not come out durring the flush could break loose with operating Temp's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dodge should put a recall out on the Nitro heater cores. Mines only blows warm air when set to max heat. I just swapped my water pump, t-stat, both heater hoses, both Radiator hoses, the accessory belt and did a complete flush of the cooling sysytem and the heater core thinking this would have solved the problem. It didnt. Searched around and found so many people with the same problem. Only real fix seems to be the all expensive heater core replacement. Dress warm, fellow Nitro owners!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yo, i did flush the heater two weeks ago for 3rd time ;)

my real intention was flushing separately heater core, radiator and engine block. starting with tap hot water, then with bidistilled water and cleaner additive ive already buyed, another refill with bidistilled and then refill with red glycolene coolant (i cant found the yellow one, seems too vintage stuff)
But I've receivd the spare plastic rivets for the bumper lately, anyway the only think of remove & reinstall front bumper makes me sick...... :p

so i flushed the hc only
I pulled out the same type of sludge of last flushes... I now have 230.000 km (143.000 m) changed belt and water pump at 170.000 km (106.000m) and probably the engine block is also full (not really full, but full) of sludge, as the radiator.... but the temp while driving is always the same so i go on.

despite of previous posts,after a long study, actually my nitro dont eat much oil (i now put mobil1 5W50 rally formula) no leaks but the intercooler eats (and then spits) some. if someone that read this had previously installed an oil catch can on nitro and would share the how to i will be very happy... such devices and knowledge are totally unknown in ita. (engine coolant system flushing as well)

I write this because i believe that the creamy sludge we find in the cooling system is just perished coolant.

Its very important to backflush (coolant opposite flow direction) for first every single circuit and switch water direction frequently, water pressure is not enough strong to press all the crap out of one direction, could be the pieces of crap bigger than circuit's line, and this adds me more anxiety about water pump related issues.... i think such system one day will struck totally if never flushed, starting from radiator passage.....

jflo if you flushed the whole system all at once you probably refilled heater core with bigger pieces of shit from engine block sludge. if you want heat back, flush only the core.
coolant system is basically a sludge labyrinth. thats the fact.

if you dont perfectly fix the garden hoses to the heater ones, and you splash water on the firewall, you will probably refill by water the passenger's side of the car

I did barbaric flush with tap water at 65c (149F) then i just plugged hoses and refilled with 1L of basic bulk red antifreeze of the proper color.
garden hose plugged to my toilet did broke and splashed 50% off the water 2 meters area of effect.... for 5 minutes before i noticed. wood floor. bye bye new electric shaver. and i thinked about death from discharge only at mid air after jumping in faucet's direction...

sorry for english '^^ i hope the main concept was clear.
I blowed my eyes off reading tech manuals, schematics and tons of stuff about nitro

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Once u flush properly the System u can use any compatible fluid. I admit i taked a Long before choosing the product... Real important thing is dont mix different types of coolanta. I put standard red coolant because i va already changed coolant once with red standard one

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The blower works but the air is cool to Luke warm. Of the temperature is turned to cold the air turns ice cold ( outside temp). So in getting dome very minimal heat.
thats the heater core raidiator on the way to clogging.

800 £$€ is the price to unmount half car & installa a new heater radiator, dont do it.... its a waste of money.

Plus without a proper flush of the system, new heater core radiator will clog in same time as older.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts