Where oh where is my 3 or 4 inch lift kit?

Discussion in 'Chassis - Suspension - Wheels and Tires' started by mr8500, Mar 13, 2007.

1. topsaile7

topsaile7 Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    That would mean you could pull out the 140/143 and install either the New Venture 231 or 242 x-cases. No need for an adapter, different tail cones, drive angle fix, or shaft length changes, etc., right? It would also mean you could easily install any KJ aftermarket lift with bigger coils, disconnect arms, etc. without having to worry about axle perch, shorter/longer links, or those bothersome attachment points on the 5-point rear-end.

There is no doubt, the Nitro and the Liberty share some common components and the design is similar, but they are not identical matches. I’m no Nitro or KJ expert, but from my experience with Mopar 4WD vehicles, there is not as much "corporate" sharing between the models as people generally think.

The ARB gets cool points, but unless something is done to for lift, a bumper by itself doesn't necessarily help approach angles. You’d need an additional 2” to 3” of lift on top of what you gave the Liberty to make up for the 11 degrees more AA that the first generation KJ body begins with. And because the coolers fall below the front rails, they’ll have to be repositioned. That also doesn’t include the suspension droop caused by the extra weight.

I agree...build, marketing, as well as, design are different things. Nearly every DCX 4WD vehicle shares the same design concepts (solid or live rear axles, IFS, coil suspension, etc.). But design concept and design implementation are completely different things too. How many one-for-one component swaps between the vehicles can be made (without modification) is a better comparison of their commonality. With all the other cool mods I’ve seen, I think somebody would have already slapped in a NV231 or used better coils if it were easy to swap components between the two. When somebody does it, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Impressive. That makes your AA rival the 2500 Power Wagon (35) and your DA is better (26.5). I’ve installed a few suspension lifts (though none on a Nitro) and don’t know of many complete kits that can produce the same rake gains you got by just using spacers and only "slightly" larger tires.

Again, I totally agree. I’m not trying to bad mouth the Nitro’s off-road prowess, as I said earlier I think it’s capable enough in certain conditions. What I am saying is you’re already starting at a disadvantage because of its design. To get the same suspension movements as a comparable Jeep, you’re going to have to make lift and travel gains that those vehicles already have. I have no doubt with a welder, the right parts, and some sweat equity you could turn the Nitro into a highly trail capable machine, but off the showroom floor it is not.
    Mark

2. Patrick Lang

Patrick Lang Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro 3.7L
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    i'm just looking around on the forum and came across this. IDK if anyone knows this but most 08-12 Jeep Liberty KK lift kits will work on a 07-12 Dodge Nitro. Rough Country has a 2.5-3" level lift kit for the 08-12 Liberty KK that will work on a Dodge Nitro....which will be what i'm going with because it's only $100. But in the future i have other plans /ideas to go with that lift.

Deen likes this.
  3. Deen

Deen Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    08 Nitro, 4X4 ,auto, 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Black
    Good to know! Definitely going to look into that. Wouldn't mind a cheap lift kit!

Patrick Lang likes this.
  4. Patrick Lang

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro 3.7L
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Yeah. Im not a huge fan of the rear coil spring spacer, but after i have mine a while and i can afford to, i'll replace it with the JBA 2.5" rear coil spring. I still haven't purchased the lift yet though :\

Deen likes this.
  5. Patrick Lang

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro 3.7L
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Sorry, i meant a 2.5" level kit. It's 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear.
    But eventually i'll have 3" in the front and the 2.5" coil spring in the rear.
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-687.html
    If im not mistaking the liberty KK has a shorter wheel base than the Nitro KA. So the leveling might be off a hair. I have a JBA 1/4" front strut spacer on my Nitro and i belive it was to level the Liberty KK. But when i measured, the front of my nitro is a hair lower than the rear but from a distance you can tell it's leveled. I'm not complaining though

Deen likes this.